PDA

View Full Version : NYT Issues Retraction

stephanie
09-06-2008, 08:00 PM
noooooo...say it ain't so..

Posted by BLAKE DVORAK | E-Mail This | Permalink | Email Author
ST. PAUL -- Yesterday the McCain camp hit back hard on this front-page NYT story by Elisabeth Bumiller reporting that Sarah Palin had been a member of the Alaska Independence Party in the 1990s. Today, the paper writes:

A front-page story in The New York Times on Tuesday and articles in other news media reported that Ms. Palin was a member of the Alaska Independence Party for two years in the 1990's.
The information in the Times article was based on a statement issued Monday night by Lynette Clark, the party's chairwoman, who said that Ms. Palin joined the party in 1994 and in 1996 changed her registration to Republican.

On Tuesday night, Ms. Clark said that her initial statement was incorrect and had been based on erroneous information provided by another member of the party whom she declined to identify. The McCain campaign also disputed the Times report, saying that Ms. Palin had been registered consistently as a Republican.

After checking the party's archives, Ms. Clark said that she could find no documentation that Governor Palin had been a member of the party. She said Ms. Palin attended the party's 1994 and 2006 conventions and provided a video-taped address as governor to the 2008 convention.

However, Bumiller, according to Howard Kurtz today, remains "completely confident about the story."

To which McCain blogger Michael Goldfarb responds:

She is completely confident in the word of a single source who has since retracted her claims? What kind of operation are the editors at the Times running?

http://time-blog.com/real_clear_politics/2008/09/nyt_issues_retraction.html

Yurt
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
noooooo...say it ain't so..

She is completely confident in the word of a single source who has since retracted her claims? What kind of operation are the editors at the Times running?

http://time-blog.com/real_clear_politics/2008/09/nyt_issues_retraction.html

hey...remember that time the NYT ran that piece that questioned obama's patriotism or morals or life or whatnot based on only one source? or what about that time the NYT ran that questionable story about any dem running for office and later retracted?

good times at the never yours times

Abbey Marie
09-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Isn't checking your sources before you go to print just Journalism 101?

Good lord, do people still believe anything that the New York Slimes prints?

Immanuel
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Okay, so I have to ask this. Maybe I missed it in the OP, but what page was the retraction on? I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the middle of the classifieds in a small box looking like an ad to sell a washing machine or something like that. Something no one will see or read.

Immie

Yurt
09-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Okay, so I have to ask this. Maybe I missed it in the OP, but what page was the retraction on? I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the middle of the classifieds in a small box looking like an ad to sell a washing machine or something like that. Something no one will see or read.

Immie

good catch immie. no direct retraction, but did you really expect that from the party that produced the greated rock/political star ever " i diiiiid, not have sexxxual relatttions with THAT woman."

read the gray box, it is as good as it gets. the nyt will never do better.

they are in bed with the dems.

PostmodernProphet
09-07-2008, 05:56 AM
However, Bumiller, according to Howard Kurtz today, remains "completely confident about the story."....
She is completely confident in the word of a single source who has since retracted her claims?

hmmm....I wonder if we have just uncovered gabby's true identity......

Joe Steel
09-07-2008, 06:42 AM
The retraction seems premature, at best. The case is far from closed.

The McCain campaign denies that Palin ever joined the AIP. But while it is in dispute whether she attended its 1994 convention, she did visit the 2000 one and addressed AIP conventions in 2006 and 2008. Her husband, Todd, was a registered AIP member from 1995 to 2002, and the AIP leadership certainly considers her one of their own.

Video footage shows AIP Vice Chairman Dexter Clark describing Palin at the 2007 North American Secessionist Convention as an "AIP member before she got the job as a mayor of a small town -- that was a nonpartisan job. But you get along to go along. She eventually joined the Republican Party, where she had all kinds of problems with their ethics, and well, I won't go into that." (No need to. The Alaska Legislature's ethics investigators are on the case.) Apparently with Palin in mind, Clark then went on to urge AIP members to "infiltrate" the major parties.

So what does Palin currently think of the AIP? Hard to know -- she's been keeping mum -- but this year she told AIP members: "I'm delighted to welcome you to the 2008 Alaska Independence Party Convention. ... Keep up the good work!"

Palin's secession flirtation (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-brooks4-2008sep04,0,3731150.column)

Palin certainly looks like a secessionist, no matter what the McCain campaign says.

Now, what are media hatemongers like O'Reilly and Hannity going to say about it. Are they going to rant about Palin and the AIP the way they ranted about Obama and Jeremiah Wright.

09-07-2008, 09:03 AM
The retraction seems premature, at best. The case is far from closed.

Palin certainly looks like a secessionist, no matter what the McCain campaign says.

Now, what are media hatemongers like O'Reilly and Hannity going to say about it. Are they going to rant about Palin and the AIP the way they ranted about Obama and Jeremiah Wright.

Sure. There is absolutely no evidence that Palin is a Secessionist, yet we have Both Obama and Biden on record voting for a statute that allows Hawaii to seceed. Im sure that's just a non-important issue for you though. Heaven forbid you be consistant.

theHawk
09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm curious to know whats wrong with joining a different party other than the two big ones?

-Cp
09-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Sure. There is absolutely no evidence that Palin is a Secessionist, yet we have Both Obama and Biden on record voting for a statute that allows Hawaii to seceed. Im sure that's just a non-important issue for you though. Heaven forbid you be consistant.

Fyi... link info on this Stepher's:

"The Senator (Akaka) attempted to backtrack on a highly inflammatory statement he made in a 2005 interview on National Public Radio, during which he admitted the Akaka Bill could lead to Hawaii’s secession from the United States. His 2005 statement, which he unsuccessfully attempted to clarify a couple of days later, sent shockwaves throughout political and media circles across the country."

"The only advocate who was comprehensive and charismatic was Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, D-IL, who shared personal insights as a former resident of Hawaii on how the bill will help Hawaii."

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?776a58dc-ad25-4db7-aad8-7494c122c56d

Yurt
09-07-2008, 04:28 PM

joe steel =

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/2141/pwnd2hj4.jpg