PDA

View Full Version : The Internet Makes Me Feel Fat

actsnoblemartin
09-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Here in the body-obsessed online world, we're all more self-conscious than ever.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/156896?GT1=43001

CatalystOfChaos
09-07-2008, 12:11 AM
I installed Second Life. I played it. For about 20 minutes. I logged out and uninstalled.

I personally love MMO's and RPG's. I think they're a great outlet for many things.

I personally play skinny characters the majority of the time. I am 6', 185 lbs. I'm not fat, but the meat on me may not necessarily be in the best places, I need to start jogging again :-(

People who don't play these games read too much into things. I don't see anyone who tries to make a character they wish they looked like or think they look like. I'm sure there are people like that out there, but most people choose their character to fit a fantasy, story line, or creative story they'd like to take part in.

Example: In Everquest 2, I play a Dark Elf Assassin. I like the stealthiness of the character. I like the look, the feel. Do I envision myself having pointy ears or sneaking up behind people and slicing throats? No. Do I like being a thorn in people's virtual sides?

Maybe. :-)

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:18 AM
I can tell you the secret to weight loss/weight loss management

Their are no secrets, you need to eat 3 small meals, and 3 small snacks per day

get some physical activity

talk to a doctor, dietrician, and/or nutricianist

they are professional, not me

oh, and make sure you do proper stretching, and dont over do any exercise, as it may lead to injury.

I installed Second Life. I played it. For about 20 minutes. I logged out and uninstalled.

I personally love MMO's and RPG's. I think they're a great outlet for many things.

I personally play skinny characters the majority of the time. I am 6', 185 lbs. I'm not fat, but the meat on me may not necessarily be in the best places, I need to start jogging again :-(

People who don't play these games read too much into things. I don't see anyone who tries to make a character they wish they looked like or think they look like. I'm sure there are people like that out there, but most people choose their character to fit a fantasy, story line, or creative story they'd like to take part in.

Example: In Everquest 2, I play a Dark Elf Assassin. I like the stealthiness of the character. I like the look, the feel. Do I envision myself having pointy ears or sneaking up behind people and slicing throats? No. Do I like being a thorn in people's virtual sides?

Maybe. :-)

CatalystOfChaos
09-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah.

I had a pretty strict regimen in high school.

My old problem was too high of a metabolism. My new problem is lack of physical activity.

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:26 AM
my non professional advice :laugh2:

find activities you like, for example...

swimming, easy on the knees and joints

walking, good for cardio

i would consult with a doctor before beginning any physical activity

and also go to www.smallstep.gov

Yeah.

I had a pretty strict regimen in high school.

My old problem was too high of a metabolism. My new problem is lack of physical activity.

CatalystOfChaos
09-07-2008, 12:28 AM
My preferred method is running.

I've been hopping on the treadmill and the bike at the Apartment Complex gym.

Air Conditioned, I can watch tv or listen to music while doing it.

Works for me... I ran track in high school, I enjoy running and the mental fortitude needed to keep going.

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:32 AM
dont be harsh on yourself, the most successful athletes have the same problem as you, they dont want to do it, they make themselves do it

or remember this ancient chiniese proverb, a journey of a thousand miles begin with a thousand steps

dont be so hard on yourself, dont put yourself down, just do it. :salute:

Works for me... I ran track in high school, I enjoy running and the mental fortitude needed to keep going.

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Make sure you stretch and take excellent care of your knees ok?

they are important for your running, dont ignore them if they become inflamed, or hurt, that is an important sign from your body telling you to rest and take care of yourself

:salute:

just looking out for you

CatalystOfChaos
09-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Oh I'm not hard on myself.

I'm not slovenly. I'm just making sure I don't get that way.

I'm rather optimistic about my life and situation in general. I'm happy lol

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:36 AM
good :)

just looking out for you

:salute:

Oh I'm not hard on myself.

I'm not slovenly. I'm just making sure I don't get that way.

I'm rather optimistic about my life and situation in general. I'm happy lol