PDA

View Full Version : English as second language in Alaska

Nuc
09-07-2008, 12:10 AM
I was just watching Palin on Fox and she repeatedly pronounced the word Iraq as "eye-rack" regarding her son in the military.

This after eight years of "nucular" from the commander in chief.

Why can't Republican presidential and VP candidates speak English, and why is it perceived as acceptable that they can't?

CatalystOfChaos
09-07-2008, 12:15 AM
English has different annunciation rules than other languages.

We even spell some countries or name them differently than they themselves do.

Why should a candidate be criticized for pronouncing something as English would dictate?

I rarely hear people pronounce it right.

Hearing "Eee Rock" is pretty rare. Even more rare to hear the minor tongue flip required to say it right.

We are all born speaking English. Call it... an American accent speaking another language's word, if you will :-)

That doesn't justify Bush's tongue ties... he's just a goober.

stephanie
09-07-2008, 12:17 AM
parts of the country with different accents and dialects pronounce things differently..

but I'm pretty sure everybody pronounces "LAME" pretty much the same way..

CatalystOfChaos
09-07-2008, 12:18 AM
parts of the country with different accents and dialects pronounce things differently..

but I'm pretty sure everybody pronounces "LAME" pretty much the same way..:cheers2:

I dunno how you pronounce it, but I pronounce it "Lah meh"

;-)

Nuc
09-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I would think that by now all educated people have heard the correct pronunciation of "Iraq". "eye-rack" is not an alternative pronunciation, it's just wrong. What you say about Bush is correct. Maybe we can set up a diction class in the white house?

Nuc
09-07-2008, 12:21 AM

So you're saying that it's OK for people who are in the highest offices in the land to be unable to pronounce simple words?

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Im sorry but you sound so arrogant and smug.

who are you to judge others personal faults?

who died and made you king

Im appalled at your holier then thou, superior attitude.

You dont vote for or against someone because of how they speak, you vote for POLICIES

you are basically condemning all people with a lisp, stutters, or anyone with a speaking disability of being stupid

I would think that by now all educated people have heard the correct pronunciation of "Iraq". "eye-rack" is not an alternative pronunciation, it's just wrong. What you say about Bush is correct. Maybe we can set up a diction class in the white house?

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I wouldnt want a smug asshole in the white house (im not calling you a smug asshole)

I would rather have a man with good values, and tourettes, a lisp, deaf, or a speaking disorder, then a know it all jerk, who thinks he is better then everyone

So you're saying that it's OK for people who are in the highest offices in the land to be unable to pronounce simple words?

stephanie
09-07-2008, 12:33 AM
the Obambam stutters, it makes him look stupid... maybe they should send him to a doctor..

Nuc
09-07-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't think there's anything smug or arrogant about expecting people like the president or vice-president to be educated people with a grasp of the English language. It's smug and arrogant to expect the world to accept sub-literate people in the most powerful positions in the world.

CatalystOfChaos
09-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Educated and correct annunciation of every single word you say are not necessarily the same thing.

You forget the Bush family genetics!

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:53 AM
there are many wonderful people who never went to college or have disabilities

should they not be allowed to run for office?

I want the president to be educated, but does how they speak indicate how smart they are?

where do we draw the line.

I appreciate your point, by the way :)

I don't think there's anything smug or arrogant about expecting people like the president or vice-president to be educated people with a grasp of the English language. It's smug and arrogant to expect the world to accept sub-literate people in the most powerful positions in the world.

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Educated and correct annunciation of every single word you say are not necessarily the same thing.

You forget the Bush family genetics!

haha :laugh2:

crin63
09-07-2008, 12:54 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to stephanie again.

stephanie
09-07-2008, 12:56 AM

Why not, you all have selected Obama and he can't speak the English language..
he doesn't even know how many states are in the United States.

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I am sorry, if i came across harshly.

I dont think your arrogant, but i think we have to be careful to not go overboard, their are many smart people with disabilities, who should not be excluded from public office

but at the same time, yeah...

youre right, we do need the best and the brightest in politics

hope no hard feelings mate :cheers2:

actsnoblemartin
09-07-2008, 12:59 AM
hey, their are 57 states :laugh2: youre just not smart enough to, i mean agree with me :coffee:

crin63
09-07-2008, 12:59 AM

Whats worse, he cant even remember where he was born. It sure wasn't the USA.

REDWHITEBLUE2
09-07-2008, 01:13 AM
I was just watching Palin on Fox and she repeatedly pronounced the word Iraq as "eye-rack" regarding her son in the military.

Why can't Republican presidential and VP candidates speak English, and why is it perceived as acceptable that they can't?THAT'S because Republicans have to speak like that so DUMBASS LibTurds can understand what their saying. we all know Liberals are the dumbest sacks of shit on earth :laugh2:

NightTrain
09-07-2008, 02:02 AM

Nope. Palin is an Alaskan, and the vast majority of us pronounce it that way.

As Stephanie already pointed out, it's one of the minor local pronounciation differences. Not wrong, just a different inflection.

If you ever left your Mom's basement and traveled, you'd quickly understand that different parts of the country have differences in pronounciation of the same word, sometimes to the point of being difficult to understand what they're saying.

We also call snowmobiles "snowmachines" and we'll continue to do so. We really don't give a damn what you think. :)

Nuc
09-07-2008, 02:08 AM
If you ever left your Mom's basement and traveled, you'd quickly understand that different parts of the country have differences in pronounciation of the same word, sometimes to the point of being difficult to understand what they're saying.

I've been to every state, many times.

40 foreign countries.

And nowhere is Eye rack an acceptable pronunciation of Iraq among educated people. :lame2:

NightTrain
09-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Then, if you've been to Alaska many times, why are you espousing surprise in a word you've undoubtedly heard Alaskans say many times?

hjmick
09-07-2008, 02:39 AM
You're kidding, right? An entire thread devoted to slamming regional pronunciations, accents, and dialects? Jim ought to start charging for the bandwidth. :rolleyes:

Sitarro
09-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Hey nuc, what did you think of President John F. Kennedy's bastardization of the extremely simple 4 letter word Cuba. I still don't get how this educated,elitist, dipshit could come up with Cuberr, any explanation for that?

stephanie
09-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Only the Democrats would think being an elitist snob would be the best thing to become President, instead of being like the majority of the everyday people in the country...that's why they keep losing all the time..

good show ole chaps.....:laugh2:

09-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Why can't Republican presidential and VP candidates speak English, and why is it perceived as acceptable that they can't?

Can anyone speak English?

Seriously, I thought it was stupid to make a big deal about the President's accent. Why the heck does it matter? Don't get me wrong Im all for speaking and writing proper English, but it's so rare as it is, it's absolutely silly to make that a big issue.

I dont think Obama speeks good English either. He's uming and ahhing, and cant put sentences together right. Who the freak cares? Even if they both spoke perfectly it's their policies that are important and Obama would destroy us.

Mr. P
09-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey nuc, what did you think of President John F. Kennedy's bastardization of the extremely simple 4 letter word Cuba. I still don't get how this educated,elitist, dipshit could come up with Cuberr, any explanation for that?

:laugh2: That's what I was going to say. I'm glad I read the whole thread first. :salute:

If you wanna hear the language raped regularly visit Cajun country.

Sitarro
09-08-2008, 01:46 AM
:laugh2: That's what I was going to say. I'm glad I read the whole thread first. :salute:

If you wanna hear the language raped regularly visit Cajun country.

How about Boston or Brooklyn? Jimma Cawta was really swell at speaking english too.

09-08-2008, 01:55 AM
At least President Bush and Gov. Palin know what the definition of "is" is.

crin63
09-08-2008, 07:53 AM
I've been to every state, many times.

40 foreign countries.

And nowhere is Eye rack an acceptable pronunciation of Iraq among educated people. :lame2:

I live in Los Angeles and I have almost exclusively heard it pronounced as I-Rack.

If how Palin pronounces a word has got you hung up, then you have much deeper issues to work out that than this upcoming election. You should seek professional help immediately.