PDA

View Full Version : Number crunching.

Noir
09-07-2008, 06:03 AM
240,000: Population of New Orleans, whose evacuation ahead of hurricane Gustav has been exhaustively document by the media.

1.25 million: People in India and Nepal made homeless by floods in the past month, whose plight has not been exhaustivly documented in the media.

Fancy that,

(source Private eye 1218)

Abbey Marie
09-07-2008, 11:11 AM
240,000: Population of New Orleans, whose evacuation ahead of hurricane Gustav has been exhaustively document by the media.

1.25 million: People in India and Nepal made homeless by floods in the past month, whose plight has not been exhaustivly documented in the media.

Fancy that,

Which media are you talking about? Are you saying that the US media should cover as much (or more) about happenings in India as they cover about happenings here? If so, that's kind of illogical. And by the same token, I would hope the media in India would cover India's problems more than they cover ours.

stephanie
09-07-2008, 11:19 AM
WT??

Yurt
09-07-2008, 04:20 PM
2+2=5

MtnBiker
09-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Anybody hear how many homeless people there are in China after the earthquakes earlier this summer and also recent earthquakes?

emmett
09-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Fancy that,

240,000 Population of NewOrleans --- Very Good!

1.25 Million What? People in India that I am suppose to care about. Let their rich relativesw who come here and are very prosperous take care of that! I would even be willing to pay 25 cents extra for my Peanut Buster parfaits in order to help.

Go away Noir!

Noir
09-07-2008, 06:11 PM
last I herd it was around 4.8 million, but that was a good few weeks ago.

The point I was trying to make is that we still value the east less than the west. It is undenyable that if the the floods happening now in India and Nepal were happening in America or Britain or France they would be on every major network of most news channels, but no so for the east.

Noir
09-07-2008, 06:17 PM
wow emmet, you have really shown some awesome human sprit with the mantra 'they're only Indians so why should I care' exactly the point I was trying to make.

Abbey Marie
09-07-2008, 06:41 PM

The point I was trying to make is that we still value the east less than the west. It is undenyable that if the the floods happening now in India and Nepal were happening in America or Britain or France they would be on every major network of most news channels, but no so for the east.

Noir, where does Africa fit into your equation? We send millions upon millions of dollars of aid there. in fact, President Bush set a record for AIDS money to Africa. Do we care about them or not?

Also, to reiterate a point I previously made in this thread, does the East value the West as much as they value themselves?

Noir
09-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Noir, where does Africa fit into your equation? We send millions upon millions of dollars of aid there. in fact, President Bush set a record for AIDS money to Africa. Do we care about them or not?

Also, to reiterate a point I previously made in this thread, does the East value the West as much as they value themselves?

Indeed ya's are, as are we, it's just rather telling that we will concentrate much many more resources looking at small (in relitive terms) disasters in the west and basicly ignore huge disasters in the east.

And I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean by the second question.

Abbey Marie
09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Indeed ya's are, as are we, it's just rather telling that we will concentrate much many more resources looking at small (in relitive terms) disasters in the west and basicly ignore huge disasters in the east.

And I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean by the second question.

Does the East do what you think we should be doing? In other words, is thw East showing as great an interest in our problems as you say we should show in theirs? Or is this a one-way street?

Sitarro
09-08-2008, 01:59 AM

It's kind of hard to worry about such a very small percentage of people to their overall population. They are at fault as China is for overpopulating their countries in such a way that they make their own people insignificant. They don't even care. It's kind of like a pile of ants that I poison, their population makes that ant pile insignificant, by destroying a million I have done nothing.

bullypulpit
09-08-2008, 04:31 AM
Which media are you talking about? Are you saying that the US media should cover as much (or more) about happenings in India as they cover about happenings here? If so, that's kind of illogical. And by the same token, I would hope the media in India would cover India's problems more than they cover ours.

So American's should be even LESS informed about world events than they already are? How republican of you. ;)

Abbey Marie
09-08-2008, 08:33 AM
So American's should be even LESS informed about world events than they already are? How republican of you. ;)

Should these Eastern countries be less informed about our problems?

Nukeman
09-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Should these Eastern countries be less informed about our problems?
Thats the problem they always want to show "how dumb" Americans are that they dont know where a country is located or if they know anything about it. what they don't show is that they usualy ask 100 people to get the 5 that don't have a clue.

I am sure if you went to ANY other country and ask them questions about the U.S. they would be hard pressed to answer them yet WE are vilified for the few that have no clue as to what is going on internationaly.

I can tell you from my own experience EVERYONE I know has a very good grasp of what is going on in the world and world events...... Of course that just me in little old rural Indiana....