PDA

View Full Version : Edwards announces plans to make campaign "carbon neutral"

stephanie
03-13-2007, 10:25 PM
By MIKE BAKER
Associated Press Writer

GREENSBORO, N.C. | Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards said Tuesday his campaign would seek to eliminate its contribution to global warming by becoming "carbon neutral."

Speaking to a crowd of college students at Bennett College, the former North Carolina senator urged all Americans to help reduce the emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

"It's time for the president of the United States to ask Americans to be patriotic about something other than war," Edwards said. "This is an emergency. This requires action now."

Edwards said his campaign will consult with experts to calculate its total carbon emissions - covering everything from his campaign travel to the energy used at his headquarters office in Chapel Hill.

Along with taking a series of steps to improve its energy efficiency, the campaign will buy carbon offsets, or credits sold by those who have reduced their emissions of carbon dioxide.

He declined to give an estimate of how much the offsets might cost, other than to say it would be "expensive."

"I didn't say it was easy," Edwards told reporters after speaking at Bennett. "I said it was important."

Edwards isn't the first candidate to adopt such a policy. Before dropping out of the race, Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack said his campaign would offset its carbon dioxide production by paying a Vermont company that invests in renewable fuels such as wind power. Edwards plans to work with the same company.
http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070313/APP/703133987
:lol:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/01125110par0002imagefilic9.jpg

GW in Ohio
03-14-2007, 09:55 AM
John Edwards: You da man........

:clap: :salute: :dance: :salute: :clap:

(Nice pics of his homes, Steph......)

Powerman
03-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Idiots...

I love how he supports funding for wind and solar energy...

If those methods were worth a shit we'd already be using them in much higher proportions. Wind generators can usually generate at most 3 megawatts of power compared to 1500 megawatt steam turbine generators

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oh and they're also expensive to make and maintain as well as being very noisy and it takes ridiculous amounts of steel to construct them

Something people are going to have to reconcile themselves with ASAP: Nuclear energy is the only viable future to meet our energy demands. Solar, geothermal, and wind just won't cut it. Too expensive and inefficient.

Abbey Marie
03-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Nice juxtaposition between article and pics, Stephanie. :thumb:
Let's see if Johnny puts some wind mills right off the line of sight of his beach house. :rolleyes:

How anyone could think putting a personal injury lawyer in the White House is a good idea is beyond comprehension. He will end up making Clinton look like honest Abe. We could probably do better with a used car salesman.

Dilloduck
03-18-2007, 10:38 AM
I was never issued my original allottment of carbon credits. Any idea who I should contact about this oversight ? I rode my bike to school instead of taking the bus so they probably have accumulated a fair amount of interest too!
:rolleyes:

03-18-2007, 10:58 AM
So he is going to stop using his hair spray? What the heck is he going to do in the mornings now?

Dilloduck
03-18-2007, 11:05 AM
So he is going to stop using his hair spray? What the heck is he going to do in the mornings now?

He still uses it--it just costs him a nickle or so more. Why does this plan seem to absolve rich people from polluting?

Hugh Lincoln
03-18-2007, 02:07 PM
He could cut down on emissions by dropping out of the race.

manu1959
03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
do plants no longer like carbon dioxide?

Dilloduck
03-18-2007, 02:38 PM
do plants no longer like carbon dioxide?

I think we are putting them on a diet :laugh2: