PDA

View Full Version : $$ for votes: California union to seek Schwarzenegger recall

Yurt
09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
California union to seek Schwarzenegger recall

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California's prison guard union said on Monday it will seek the recall of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger after he ordered a pay cut for its members amid the state's protracted budget deadlock.

Corcoran said prison guards should be exempt from the pay cuts in light of their public safety role. They manage the largest state prison network in the United States, overseeing about 170,000 inmates, a system plagued by overcrowding and frequent violence between rival gang and ethnic groups.

The pay cuts ordered by Schwarzenegger have yet to be implemented while state lawmakers continue to haggle over a compromise budget plan. They must close a shortfall that Schwarzenegger has estimated at $15.2 billion, not including a $2 billion reserve he wants to create.

This is the latest in intimidation tactic after intimidation tactic used by the prison guard union in their never-ending effort to extract a huge pay raise out of the legislature and the governor," Mendelsohn said in a statement. "The governor will not be intimidated by these selfish tactics worthy of a schoolyard bully."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080908/us_nm/schwarzenegger_recall_dc

i have worked with prison law, and i have known prison guards...they are paid WELL, for a tough job. very well. my wife's brother is a guard up in CA, and a few years ago his payed doubled. he makes a good amount. i don't have a problem with that. the problem is the gang mentality of the CA prison guard system. they already make a good chunk of change.

and if their boss cuts the pay, they will recall.

what is the dem position on this?

diuretic
09-08-2008, 11:05 PM
The gang mentality of the system? Do you mean the union? I think it's the CPOA from memory.

Yurt
09-09-2008, 12:17 AM
The gang mentality of the system? Do you mean the union? I think it's the CPOA from memory.

there are unions and then there are the california prison guards. think about it. they hold more prisoners than most countries. ca is the (last i checked) 7th largest economy in the world. think about the money. they want money, not service to the state of california. no, they want money.

diuretic
09-09-2008, 01:58 AM
On second thoughts it was CCPOA I think. I remember some years ago when I was over there on a visit and I discussed them with a police union official and he explained their methods which were/are unapologetically political. I think they even have their own PAC (I think that's what they're called).

I tell you, that's a job I could never, ever do. If you want the right people you have to pay them well though and if you could earn what they get by doing some less dangerous (physically and mentally) then my advice would be do something else.

09-09-2008, 07:23 AM
What? He isnt liberal enough for them?

diuretic
09-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I suspect it's about the budget, he's too tight-fisted for them.

manu1959
09-09-2008, 05:42 PM
arnie is making unions live in the real world.....

Yurt
09-09-2008, 05:57 PM
the california prison union is powerful

even libs are now questioning their power....LOOOOL

April15
09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
I suspect it's about the budget, he's too tight-fisted for them.Arnie has no clout with his own party members to get a budget passed.

Yurt
09-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Arnie has no clout with his own party members to get a budget passed.

uh, wrong again, the vote against the budget was by dems :poke:

but you are still playing atari and shooting down astroids