PDA

View Full Version : Maybe She, Palin, Was On State Church Business

Psychoblues
09-08-2008, 10:58 PM
This is incredible. I suppose we'll hear the explanation in the next day or two.

Source: Washington Post

By James V. Grimaldi and Karl Vick
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, September 9, 2008; Page A01

ANCHORAGE, Sept. 8 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a "per diem" allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.

The governor also has charged the state for travel expenses to take her children on official out-of-town missions. And her husband, Todd, has billed the state for expenses and a daily allowance for trips he makes on official business for his wife.

Palin, who earns $125,000 a year, claimed and received $16,951 as her allowance, which officials say was permitted because her official "duty station" is Juneau, according to an analysis of her travel documents by The Washington Post.

The governor's daughters and husband charged the state $43,490 to travel and many of the trips were to and from their house in Wasilla and Juneau, the capital city 600 miles away, the documents show...............

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090803088.html?hpid=topnews

How much do we owe Pat Robertson and the estate of Jerry Falwell?

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Yurt
09-08-2008, 11:00 PM
hahahhaaa, you chickens all go after the veep...cause you know she has more experience than your PROFIT obama

Psychoblues
09-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Do you have something to explain all those expense vouchers or are you just being the stupidass you always are, yuk?

stephanie
09-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Wa-pho is sure desperate to save the Obambam, now it's scraping the bottom of barrel..

I wonder what that campaign trip to Europe the Obambam just took, cost the American citizens..

check out the comments at their site...:laugh2:

Yurt
09-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Do you have something to explain all those expense vouchers or are you just being the stupidass you always are, yuk?

when you post an answer in the palin v obama thread(s)...come back and talk your big talk tough guy

else keep your tail btwn your chair

Yurt
09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Wa-pho is sure desperate to save the Obambam, now it's scraping the bottom of barrel..

I wonder what that campaign trip to Europe the Obambam just took, cost the American citizens..

check out the comments at their site...:laugh2:

but that is all about him gaining foreign policy experience, so of course the dims will play and act rightly...stupid on that one....afterall, the americans must pay to have the next COMMANDER IN CHIEF take a FP trip ON OUR TAX DOLLARS

Psychoblues
09-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Admit it, yuk, you're a chickenshit.

when you post an answer in the palin v obama thread(s)...come back and talk your big talk tough guy

else keep your tail btwn your chair

Palin filed some false expense vouchers and you're not accepting it. Cool for you, I guess. The lies just can't get past the truth. How about all that tongue talking, floor rolling, war is a gift from God, and praying for corporate satisfactions, yuk? Did you get all that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

theHawk
09-09-2008, 12:18 AM
This is incredible. I suppose we'll hear the explanation in the next day or two.

Source: Washington Post

By James V. Grimaldi and Karl Vick
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, September 9, 2008; Page A01

ANCHORAGE, Sept. 8 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a "per diem" allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.

The governor also has charged the state for travel expenses to take her children on official out-of-town missions. And her husband, Todd, has billed the state for expenses and a daily allowance for trips he makes on official business for his wife.

Palin, who earns $125,000 a year, claimed and received $16,951 as her allowance, which officials say was permitted because her official "duty station" is Juneau, according to an analysis of her travel documents by The Washington Post.

The governor's daughters and husband charged the state $43,490 to travel and many of the trips were to and from their house in Wasilla and Juneau, the capital city 600 miles away, the documents show...............

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090803088.html?hpid=topnews

How much do we owe Pat Robertson and the estate of Jerry Falwell?

Can you compare those costs to every other governor and senator for that matter?

Yurt
09-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Admit it, yuk, you're a chickenshit.

Palin filed some false expense vouchers and you're not accepting it. Cool for you, I guess. The lies just can't get past the truth. How about all that tongue talking, floor rolling, war is a gift from God, and praying for corporate satisfactions, yuk? Did you get all that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

come on big guy....

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=17277

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=17330

this is only two, i think there is one more or maybe more....but you oddly will not post there...why?

you call me chickendung... come on big boy, post away

Psychoblues
09-09-2008, 12:58 AM
For what matter, huk?

Can you compare those costs to every other governor and senator for that matter?

Do you always get confused like that?

Yurt
09-09-2008, 01:16 AM
come on big guy....

this is only two, i think there is one more or maybe more....but you oddly will not post there...why?

you ignore this and call me a chicken :laugh2:

Psychoblues
09-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Quoting your own idiocies doesn't impress me, yuk. Have you something more germaine?

:cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Yurt
09-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Quoting your own idiocies doesn't impress me, yuk. Have you something more germaine?

:cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

chicken

Psychoblues
09-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Quack, quack, quack, quack quack!!!!!!!!!!!

chicken

You wouldn't know a chicken from your own ducking ass, yuk!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why you are posting here and pretending to be a lawyer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the jamboree!!!!!!!!!!1

Yurt
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Quack, quack, quack, quack quack!!!!!!!!!!!

You wouldn't know a chicken from your own ducking ass, yuk!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why you are posting here and pretending to be a lawyer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the jamboree!!!!!!!!!!1

why don't you try answering the post instead of giving five dime insults big boy.....

chicken

Yurt
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
come on big guy....

come on tough guy

Psychoblues
09-09-2008, 02:14 AM
But, you're so much more fun in the abstract, cowgirl!!!!!!!!!!!

why don't you try answering the post instead of giving five dime insults big boy.....

chicken

At lesat for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Sitarro
09-09-2008, 02:43 AM
come on tough guy

Don't waste your time Yurt, sycho is clearly full of his own shit chased with rot gut beer and fumes from redneck mudtrack "racers". Really, what's the point of having a conversation with someone that is challenged at conversing.

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Miss Wasilla paid herself to live at home.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a "per diem" allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.

In the past, per diem claims by Alaska state officials have carried political risks. In 1988, the head of the state Commerce Department was pilloried for collecting a per diem charge of $50 while staying in his Anchorage home, according to local news accounts. The commissioner, the late Tony Smith, resigned amid a series of controversies.

"It was quite the little scandal," said Tony Knowles, the Democratic governor from 1994 to 2000. "I gave a direction to all my commissioners if they were ever in their house, whether it was Juneau or elsewhere, they were not to get a per diem because, clearly, it is and it looks like a scam -- you pay yourself to live at home," he said.

Palin Billed State for Nights Spent at Home (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/08/AR2008090803088.html)

darin
09-10-2008, 07:23 AM

You're a ninny.

Palin, who earns $125,000 a year, claimed and received $16,951 as her allowance, which officials say was permitted because her official "duty station" is Juneau, according to an analysis of her travel documents...Gubernatorial spokeswoman Sharon Leighow said Monday that Palin's expenses are not unusual and that, under state policy, the first family could have claimed per diem expenses for each child taken on official business but has not done so.

Emphasis added.

Nukeman
09-10-2008, 07:26 AM
You're a ninny.

Emphasis added.

Dont waste your time D. he doesn't care about facts, only what he can make up......:coffee:

darin
09-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Oh...and

Palin rarely sought reimbursement for meals while staying in Anchorage or Wasilla, the reports show

Everyone who uses the suffix "Gate" on scandals should be throat punched. :D

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 07:43 AM
You're a ninny.

Emphasis added.

You're a dupe:

Gubernatorial spokeswoman Sharon Leighow

Who cares what the governor's stooge says?

Oh...and

Everyone who uses the suffix "Gate" on scandals should be throat punched. :D

She also submitted expense reports claiming reimbursement for lodging at her home then amended the reports to remove that reference. That seems like evidence of a guilty mind. She seems to have known what she was doing was wrong.

Your objection to "gate" is acknowledgement of the long history of Republicon scandals. Evertime you see it, it reminds you of them.

Too bad.

darin
09-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Hey kid - the Per Diem was to cover FOOD and MILEAGE...not LODGING.

She wrote some form of "Lodging -- own residence" or "Lodging -- Wasilla residence" more than 30 times at the same time she took a per diem, according to the reports. In two dozen undated amendments to the reports, the governor deleted the reference to staying in her home but still charged the per diem.

cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.

The Per Deim she took was for mileage and meals. Big deal. I do that too, when I travel.

Do you read? The Gov is SO corrupt, she could have charged the state a LOT MORE...but declined...wow. You're a regular Bob Woodward.

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Hey kid - the Per Diem was to cover FOOD and MILEAGE...not LODGING.

"Lodging" includes food. Look it up or get an adult to explain it to you.

The Per Deim she took was for mileage and meals. Big deal. I do that too, when I travel.

Do you read?

Do you read?

She wasn't traveling when she claimed it.

She claimed it when she was working out of her Anchorage office and staying at her home in Wasilla, forty-five miles away.

She was at home and wasn't traveling.

Is that too difficult for you to understand?

theHawk
09-10-2008, 08:09 AM

How about comparing that to every other governor?

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
How about comparing that to every other governor?

I gave you a quote from one of her predecessors. Read it.

darin
09-10-2008, 08:39 AM
"Lodging" includes food. Look it up or get an adult to explain it to you.

Do you read?

She wasn't traveling when she claimed it.

She claimed it when she was working out of her Anchorage office and staying at her home in Wasilla, forty-five miles away.

She was at home and wasn't traveling.

Is that too difficult for you to understand?

She claimed per diem for travel to and from work. Meals is NOT lodging. Have you ever taken Govt Per Diem? I just came off 60 days of per diem. Paid for by your tax dollars. I know how it works. Here's the forum I used to log my per diem. Notice it has blocks for LODGING...and FOOD.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1379&stc=1&d=1221053907

Her state forms are probably different, however. BUT...the bottom line is, spaz, nothing she did violated any laws. Plus, she COULD have claimed MORE, but did NOT.

You're REACHING. Your head is SO FAR UP YOUR ASS Sarah could PEE without flushing the toilet and you fockers would say she supports pollution.

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Who cares what the governor's stooge says?

a valid point.....one should always stick to the stooges you know best.....unfortunately the stooge I know best, who would be Joe, has a history recently of getting everything wrong.....now I find myself temporarily stoogeless...

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
She claimed per diem for travel to and from work. Meals is NOT lodging. Have you ever taken Govt Per Diem? I just came off 60 days of per diem. Paid for by your tax dollars. I know how it works. Here's the forum I used to log my per diem. Notice it has blocks for LODGING...and FOOD.

In common usage, meals are included in lodging. Your form is wrong.

No one gets mileage at home.

She's scamming the taxpayers and all your spinning won't change it.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

a valid point.....one should always stick to the stooges you know best.....unfortunately the stooge I know best, who would be Joe, has a history recently of getting everything wrong.....now I find myself temporarily stoogeless...

Batting 1.000 is not "getting everything wrong." You must be thinking of the wingnuts.

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2008, 10:26 AM
lol, oh yeah....I'm thinking of a wingnut all right...

darin
09-10-2008, 10:26 AM

Common useage where? EVERYONE gets mileage from home when they leave home and head out for government business. When I drive to Atlanta for work, I get paid mileage from my domicile to the place I'll be performing work.

She's scamming taxpayers only in the minds of foolish, ignorant people.

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Common useage where? EVERYONE gets mileage from home when they leave home and head out for government business. When I drive to Atlanta for work, I get paid mileage from my domicile to the place I'll be performing work.

She's scamming taxpayers only in the minds of foolish, ignorant people.

I don't know what kind of work you do but I've never heard of anyone being paid mileage from home to work and back unless they travel as a normal part of their occupation.

Does your occupation involve travel outside your home area?

Do you live in Atlanta and get paid to drive to a workplace in Atlanta?

darin
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
If she's authorized, say, to live in gov't quarters (the gov'ner mansion? maybe?) or travel from another place in lieu of, and get Mileage and meals (during that travel), then it'd be fine.

Thing is - you're harping and blathering on about something LEGAL she did.

manu1959
09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
fucking moron....when the legislature is in session each elected offical gets a per diem.....to use on expenses associated with performing their job....they can use them on food, gas, lodging (including the house the live in near the senate house or governers office) etc..... reciepts must be turned in and signed off by the controler....how do i know this....my brother did this in dc during reagan bush 1 and clinton 1......

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 12:19 PM
fucking moron....when the legislature is in session each elected offical gets a per diem.....to use on expenses associated with performing their job....they can use them on food, gas, lodging (including the house the live in near the senate house or governers office) etc..... reciepts must be turned in and signed off by the controler....how do i know this....my brother did this in dc during reagan bush 1 and clinton 1......

Utterly stupid.

You don't know a thing about the way the system works, dumbass.

Legislators get per diem when they're away from home. Palin wasn't. She was working out of the Anchorage office which is considered home for her.

Sitarro
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Pelosi burns around 8,000 gallons of jet fuel plus depreciation on the government Gulfstream and crew costs, then there is the secret service detail........ all to go hawk her lousy non-selling book in San Francisco. At 5 dollars a gallon for the Jet A, that is 40,000 each trip. Where is your outrage over her?

Nukeman
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Pelosi burns around 8,000 gallons of jet fuel plus depreciation on the government Gulfstream and crew costs, then there is the secret service detail........ all to go hawk her lousy non-selling book in San Francisco. At 5 dollars a gallon for the Jet A, that is 40,000 each trip. Where is your outrage over her?
Joe thinks thats OK because she is a west coast liberal.

Yurt
09-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Utterly stupid.

Legislators get per diem when they're away from home. Palin wasn't. She was working out of the Anchorage office which is considered home for her.

liar...your own article states:

which officials say was permitted because her official "duty station" is Juneau

:poke:

manu1959
09-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Utterly stupid.

you are so fucking dumb you are not even aware you are dumb......

you are paid a per diem when you are conducting business .... away from home or not ......

no wonder you stupid fucks keep losing elections..... can't get anything done....why the poor keep voting for you all and they stay poor only proves the stupidity of your crowd

mundame
09-10-2008, 01:55 PM

The Wall Street Journal reports this issue as a problem also: it LOOKS like straightforward stealing money from the state of Alaska, fraudulently.

I don't see how it can be reasonable or legal to take a per diem for travelling while living at home.

manu1959
09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
The Wall Street Journal reports this issue as a problem also: it LOOKS like straightforward stealing money from the state of Alaska, fraudulently.

I don't see how it can be reasonable or legal to take a per diem for travelling while living at home.

per diem's are not restricted to business travel....go look it up.....

darin
09-10-2008, 02:04 PM

it's clear you didn't read the article. (sigh). You have NO knowledge of the Per Diem Laws and regulations of the state of Alaska. Research before you open your phlam-hole.

mundame
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
it's clear you didn't read the article. (sigh).

I did read the Wall Street Journal reporting: they aren't taking a stand but they are reporting it as a problem for Palin as a candidate. It wouldn't be discussed on this forum if it weren't a potential problem.

manu1959
09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I did read the Wall Street Journal reporting: they aren't taking a stand but they are reporting it as a problem for Palin as a candidate. It wouldn't be discussed on this forum if it weren't a potential problem.

so let me see if i have this correct.....if you live at home and take a per diem then you have a problem.....

is that you alls claim....

mundame
09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
so let me see if i have this correct.....if you live at home and take a per diem then you have a problem.....

is that you alls claim....

Yes......she's already getting a salary while she lives at home, so taking extra is just stealing.

manu1959
09-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes......she's already getting a salary while she lives at home, so taking extra is just stealing.

like joe living at home and expensing his train ticket and meals.......like that....

darin
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM

...you are so ignorant of how things work, it's sad. Very sad.

When I moved here I got an extra $110/day for the first 60 days. Per Diem. Taking an Entitlement is NOT stealing.

mundame
09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
like joe living at home and expensing his train ticket and meals.......like that....

No, like this story in the Wall Street Journal today, a Republican paper but one focused historically on fighting corruption at all levels.

Wall Street Journal A1 9/10/2008 (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122099348086116259.html?mod=todays_us_page_one)

Despite the McCain-Palin bounce, Democratic pollster Peter Hart, who conducts the poll with Republican Neil Newhouse, offered a caution for the Republicans. He noted that voters are just getting to know Gov. Palin: "The faster they rise, the steeper the descent."

Indeed, scrutiny of her record is ongoing, and she is being pressed to reconcile her self-proclaimed image as a reformer with allegations that she practiced more traditional-style politics in Alaska. On Tuesday, the Washington Post reported that Gov. Palin had billed taxpayers for 312 nights when she slept at home, charging a "per diem" that is intended to cover expenses while traveling on state business.

McCain-Palin spokesman Michael Goldfarb said the governor had reduced other government spending. "Her travel-related activities have been appropriately documented, are completely transparent, and entirely legal," he said.

Considering Subpoenas
Unflattering news could also surface from the investigation of the firing of her former public safety commissioner. State lawmakers are scheduled to meet Friday to consider issuing subpoenas in the probe. She has also come under fire for claiming to have killed the now-famous "Bridge to Nowhere" project, when her opposition came only after it had been singled out as among the most egregious of congressional pork.

It does not seem that either the WaPo nor the Wall Street Journal view Palin taking this extra state money while living at home is normal, defendable practice. Otherwise, they would not report it as a problem.

The text clearly states that the per diem at issue was intended to cover travel expenses, but the governor was not travelling: that's why it's a problem.

Nukeman
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Did she have a office at home???
Did she use this office at home for state business?
How much time did she spend in the office at home?

manu1959
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
you do know both joe and barry used their per diem on days they lived at home....

No, like this story in the Wall Street Journal today, a Republican paper but one focused historically on fighting corruption at all levels.

Wall Street Journal A1 9/10/2008 (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122099348086116259.html?mod=todays_us_page_one)

Despite the McCain-Palin bounce, Democratic pollster Peter Hart, who conducts the poll with Republican Neil Newhouse, offered a caution for the Republicans. He noted that voters are just getting to know Gov. Palin: "The faster they rise, the steeper the descent."

Indeed, scrutiny of her record is ongoing, and she is being pressed to reconcile her self-proclaimed image as a reformer with allegations that she practiced more traditional-style politics in Alaska. On Tuesday, the Washington Post reported that Gov. Palin had billed taxpayers for 312 nights when she slept at home, charging a "per diem" that is intended to cover expenses while traveling on state business.

McCain-Palin spokesman Michael Goldfarb said the governor had reduced other government spending. "Her travel-related activities have been appropriately documented, are completely transparent, and entirely legal," he said.

Considering Subpoenas
Unflattering news could also surface from the investigation of the firing of her former public safety commissioner. State lawmakers are scheduled to meet Friday to consider issuing subpoenas in the probe. She has also come under fire for claiming to have killed the now-famous "Bridge to Nowhere" project, when her opposition came only after it had been singled out as among the most egregious of congressional pork.

It does not seem that either the WaPo nor the Wall Street Journal view Palin taking this extra state money while living at home is normal, defendable practice. Otherwise, they would not report it as a problem.

The text clearly states that the per diem at issue was intended to cover travel expenses, but the governor was not travelling: that's why it's a problem.

Nukeman
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Here is the rule that applies to Alaska Government employees

You will note that on the 312 days that she (Palin) billed for her per diem it was $54.00 each time. that is less than she was allowed to bill..

In Palin's case, the state is also paying for at least some meals when she's staying in Wasilla. Like other state officials, she's entitled to $60 a day "per diem" for food and incidentals, such as tips, while traveling on state business. State rules say that if your job stations you in Juneau or Anchorage, but you live in another part of the state, you can still get the meal money when visiting your hometown, said Linda Perez, director

manu1959
09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Here is the rule that applies to Alaska Government employees

You will note that on the 312 days that she (Palin) billed for her per diem it was $54.00 each time. that is less than she was allowed to bill..

damn she was within the rules and saved 10%.........

mundame
09-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Like other state officials, she's entitled to $60 a day "per diem" for food and incidentals, such as tips, while traveling on state business. State rules say that if your job stations you in Juneau or Anchorage, but you live in another part of the state, you can still get the meal money when visiting your hometown, said Linda Perez, director

This seems to be the essence of the problem:

The per diem is for travelling on state business, as stated above, in purple type. But she wasn't travelling: she was at home.

So taking more than her salary as governor was improper, is the case that is being made. When she travelled to Juneau or wherever, fine, but not when she was at home, where she normally conducted her business as governor.

She lived in the Governor's House, right? And conducted the business of governor substantially from there. So that isn't travelling, the days she was at home.

Yurt
09-10-2008, 03:06 PM

mundame...

manu1959
09-10-2008, 03:06 PM

The per diem is for travelling on state business, as stated above, in purple type. But she wasn't travelling: she was at home.

So taking more than her salary as governor was improper, is the case that is being made. When she travelled to Juneau or wherever, fine, but not when she was at home, where she normally conducted her business as governor.

She lived in the Governor's House, right? And conducted the business of governor substantially from there. So that isn't travelling, the days she was at home.

State rules say that if your job stations you in Juneau or Anchorage, but you live in another part of the state, you can still get the meal money when visiting your hometown,

fucking hell read the whole rule.....

manu1959
09-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Batting 1.000 is not "getting everything wrong." You must be thinking of the wingnuts.

except joe biden of course who gets his train tickets paid for by the tax payers to go to and from work every day......

he is so in touch with the common man.....

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM

That's the "official" duty station. That's why she felt she could do it. As a matter of fact, though, she works in Anchorage and lives in Wasilla which is driving distance. She's exploiting a technicality and that's what the scheme so dishonest.

mundame
"The Alaska Governor's Mansion, located at 716 Calhoun Av., Juneau Alaska, is the official residence of the Governor of Alaska (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_of_Alaska) and his or her family." Wikipedia.

However, an Alaska paper source says she lives near Anchorage. There are several gubernatorial offices, according to Palin's Web site.

This from the Boston Herald (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?&articleid=1118181&format=&page=2&listingType=2008pres#articleFull) today:

The Palins split time between Juneau, the state’s capital, and Wasilla, outside of Anchorage, with the governor often working in Juneau during the legislative session and in Anchorage for much of the rest of the year.

But the issue of who should pay the family’s travel expenses adds to questions about Palin’s spending practices that were raised this week by revelations in the Washington Post that Palin also charged the state for meals while she was staying at her home in Wasilla, away from her official state duty station of Juneau.

The state considers Juneau to be the governor’s home base. That creates a scenario where Palin is considered to be "traveling" while living in her own house.

...the Democrat who preceded Murkowski in office, Tony Knowles, questioned ... Palin’s collecting the state a per diem while staying in her Wasilla home.

"When you’re living at home, you don’t pay yourself for living at home," Knowles said in an interview Tuesday. "And if you use a technicality to get around that rule so you can get paid for it, it’s not right."

Knowles, who served as governor from 1994 to 2002, moved his family to Juneau and leased out his Anchorage home. When in Anchorage on official business, Knowles said he stayed at the Hilton hotel when he needed to go to Anchorage as governor. He collected a meal per diem unless he was attending events at which meals were provided, he said.

Murkowski, who served from 2002 to 2006, lived in the governor’s mansion in Juneau. The state rented an Anchorage apartment for him for business in the city, and he collected a per diem while staying there, Perez said.

I do perceive that some of you admire the choice Palin has made in collecting the per diem.

Joe Steel
you are so fucking dumb you are not even aware you are dumb......

you are paid a per diem when you are conducting business .... away from home or not ......

no wonder you stupid fucks keep losing elections..... can't get anything done....why the poor keep voting for you all and they stay poor only proves the stupidity of your crowd

No, idiot.

No.

manu1959
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
No, idiot.

No.

yes denial will save the day....just keep saying no and it won't keep happening......

Nukeman
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
That's the "official" duty station. That's why she felt she could do it. As a matter of fact, though, she works in Anchorage and lives in Wasilla which is driving distance. She's exploiting a technicality and that's what the scheme so dishonest.
You guys keep looking for this smoking gun of some type of scam or major dishonesty. You keep coming up empty handed!!! Face it it may be a "technicality" but IT IS LEGAL

I find it soooo humorous that you guys can not find something to "stick" I think you all subscribe to the same program of "throw enough shit and something Will eventually stick"

darin
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
If Palin can't control her MILEAGE how could she POSSIBLY handle being VP??

:D

Yurt
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
js doesn't know the difference between duty and doodie

Abbey Marie
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
If Palin can't control her MILEAGE how could she POSSIBLY handle being VP??

I guess she should have just kept that jet she willingly sold. :laugh2:

theHawk
09-10-2008, 04:55 PM
This is so hilarious to see Joe steel's phony outrage about this. Do you have any idea how much per diem money is given to all other government officials? To military? To federal employees? Palin's expenses are a drop in the bucket compared to what I've seen.

If you are so worried about wasteful government spending, there are so many bigger fish to fry. But something tells me you really don't give a shit about that...

darin
09-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I wonder if JS will ever post an 'expose' about the Gov't budgeting $100k to move me and my family to AL.

Joe Steel
09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
This is so hilarious to see Joe steel's phony outrage about this. Do you have any idea how much per diem money is given to all other government officials? To military? To federal employees? Palin's expenses are a drop in the bucket compared to what I've seen.

If you are so worried about wasteful government spending, there are so many bigger fish to fry. But something tells me you really don't give a shit about that...

It's not the money, dumbass.

It's Palin's dishonesty in claiming it.

Missileman
09-10-2008, 05:33 PM

She is considered to be traveling the whole time she is away from Juneau, not just on the day to get to and the day to get back from a destination.

manu1959
09-10-2008, 07:02 PM
It's not the money, dumbass.

It's Palin's dishonesty in claiming it.

if you are working you get the per diem......it isn't that complicated

Kathianne
09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
In any case, she was following what had gone before and mostly at a savings to the taxpayers:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDU5OWFmMGZiZjY5N2EwNmRjOGQzNTQ1YWFjM2IxYmQ=

Did Sarah Palin Overspend on Official Travel?

I've been on a print-magazine deadline all day today, so I apologize for coming to this late, but I read with interest the Washington Post story on Sarah Palin's per diem billings. I think this is a [B]perfectly reasonable sort of thing for reporters to look into — and I assume that the Post and other papers are also examining issues like how much Joseph Biden charges the taxpayers for his daily Amtrak trips between Washington and Delaware.

Anyway, on the Palin story, I felt like I couldn't get a bottom line from the Post account. Did Gov. Palin spend more money on travel than her predecessors? Less? Too much? What can her expenditures be compared to?

Late this afternoon, I talked to Sharon Leighow, who is the governor's spokeswoman in Alaska. It turns out that in September 2007, when Palin had been in office nine months, her staff did an analysis of her travel spending versus that of her predecessors, Republican Frank Murkowski and Democrat Tony Knowles. (Knowles is quoted in the Post story indirectly suggesting that Palin is spending too much.)

The analysis prepared by Palin's office added up travel costs for time in Anchorage, other parts of Alaska, out of state, and public safety costs associated with gubernatorial travels — in other words, most of the cost of such travels. Palin's office found that she had spent $122,970 in her first nine months in office. I don't have a figure for her entire first year, but if she spent in the final quarter at the rate she spent in the first three, that would be about $164,000 for the year. These are the figures for the other governors:

Murkowski 2006 $525,392
Murkowski 2005 255,823
Murkowski 2004 217,023
Murkowski 2003 275,546
Knowles 2002 278,026
Knowles 2001 210,968
Knowles 2000 89,578
Knowles 1999 73,700

The bottom line? I can't speak to the issue of per diem expenses, although the Post's front-page treatment seemed to suggest that while no rules were broken, Palin had abused the process. But when I look at her office's overall travel figures, at least for the first part of her term, it appears that she spent less than most years under her predecessors, Republican and Democrat.

Psychoblues
09-11-2008, 03:25 AM
I am certainly open for a good and intelligent conversation, zero.

Don't waste your time Yurt, sycho is clearly full of his own shit chased with rot gut beer and fumes from redneck mudtrack "racers". Really, what's the point of having a conversation with someone that is challenged at conversing.

But some things are so blatantly ignorant and revealing about the poster they are better left alone for all others to see and contemplate.

Joe Steel
09-11-2008, 06:40 AM
I wonder if JS will ever post an 'expose' about the Gov't budgeting $100k to move me and my family to AL.

Do you understand the difference between relocation expense and per diem?

She is considered to be traveling the whole time she is away from Juneau, not just on the day to get to and the day to get back from a destination.

Perhaps "officially" but she's actually living at home. Accepting per diem is an abuse of the system if not a violation of law.

if you are working you get the per diem......it isn't that complicated

Obviously it is for you.

In any case, she was following what had gone before and mostly at a savings to the taxpayers:

"Did Gov. Palin spend more money on travel than her predecessors?"

"I talked to Sharon Leighow, who is the governor's spokeswoman in Alaska. It turns out that in September 2007, when Palin had been in office nine months, her staff did an analysis of her travel spending versus that of her predecessors, Republican Frank Murkowski and Democrat Tony Knowles.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDU5OWFmMGZiZjY5N2EwNmRjOGQzNTQ1YWFjM2IxYmQ=

First, the level of spending is not the issue.

Secondly, who cares what the governor's stooges say?

Finally, Bryon York and National Review? Are you kidding?

Kathianne
09-11-2008, 07:00 AM
First, the level of spending is not the issue. Sure it is, precedents are followed in any position.

Secondly, who cares what the governor's stooges say?Obviously, you care about the issue, for every issue there needs to be a response.

Finally, Bryon York and National Review? Are you kidding? LOL! You are the one who must be kidding, he's hardly just written for National Review:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_York

Journalism

York is a White House correspondent for National Review magazine and a columnist for The Hill.

He has also written for The Atlantic Monthly, Wall Street Journal, Weekly Standard, and New York Post, among other publications. A frequent guest on television and radio, he has appeared on such programs as Meet the Press, The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, The O'Reilly Factor, Tim Russert, Special Report with Brit Hume, and Hardball with Chris Matthews, and has contributed occasional commentaries to National Public Radio.

Before working for National Review, York was a news producer at CNN and an investigative journalist for The American Spectator. In 2001 York explored the misfortunes of his former employer in an essay written for The Atlantic Monthly, "The Life and Death of The American Spectator".[1]

Since May 2005 he has been a contributing blogger at The Huffington Post. He also often takes part in discussions with other media personalities at BloggingHeads.tv.

[edit] Education

York holds a Bachelor's degree from the University of Alabama, and a Master's from the University of Chicago.

Joe Steel
09-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Sure it is, precedents are followed in any position. Obviously, you care about the issue, for every issue there needs to be a response. LOL! You are the one who must be kidding, he's hardly just written for National Review:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_York

Byron York is a rightwing hack. Like any good hack, he's spinning the issue to make his work attractive to wingnuts.

In this case, he's grossly distorting the issue saying: "I talked with... Democrat Tony Knowles. (Knowles is quoted in the Post story indirectly suggesting that Palin is spending too much.)"

Knowles actually criticiszed the practice of taking the money not spending too much: "It was quite the little scandal," said Tony Knowles, the Democratic governor from 1994 to 2000. "I gave a direction to all my commissioners if they were ever in their house, whether it was Juneau or elsewhere, they were not to get a per diem because, clearly, it is and it looks like a scam -- you pay yourself to live at home," he said.

Byron York, no matter who publishes his work, is just another rightwing tool.

Nukeman
09-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Byron York is a rightwing hack. Like any good hack, he's spinning the issue to make his work attractive to wingnuts.

In this case, he's grossly distorting the issue saying: "I talked with... Democrat Tony Knowles. (Knowles is quoted in the Post story indirectly suggesting that Palin is spending too much.)"

Knowles actually criticiszed the practice of taking the money not spending too much: "It was quite the little scandal," said Tony Knowles, the Democratic governor from 1994 to 2000. "I gave a direction to all my commissioners if they were ever in their house, whether it was Juneau or elsewhere, they were not to get a per diem because, clearly, it is and it looks like a scam -- you pay yourself to live at home," he said.

Byron York, no matter who publishes his work, is just another rightwing tool.I just love how ANYONE who does not subscribe to your ideology is a "right wing hack". My God joe how did we ever get along before you opend our eyes???

How do you get around in life with a head as big as yours???? Ohh and the ego to go with it....

theHawk
09-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Perhaps "officially" but she's actually living at home. Accepting per diem is an abuse of the system if not a violation of law.

LOL, how on the fuck is it an "abuse of power" if it is legal? If she wasn't supposed to get the money then they wouldn't give it to her. If it was an "abuse of power" for her to receive per diem, then is it not also for every single other government official?

The only reason you are harping on all this is because she turned your boy wonder community organizer into a national joke overnight. Where is all of your outrage over Obama getting a sweet land deal with the felon Rezko? Or Obama funneling him 14 million in tax dollars?

Do us all a favor and keep your shit-spewing at the DU where it belongs.

Joe Steel
09-11-2008, 09:14 AM
LOL, how on the fuck is it an "abuse of power" if it is legal?

I'll try to make it simple for you, dumbass.

Per diem is for traveling expenses.

She's not traveling.

mundame
09-11-2008, 09:26 AM

I understand some of you are saying it's fine because it's not technically illegal.

To me, it looks dirty, like she is taking the taxpayers for every dollar she can get.

I agree with Knowles -------- I simply would not do that myself. It's ethically compromised, it looks like money-grubbing.

Missileman
09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I'll try to make it simple for you, dumbass.

Per diem is for traveling expenses.

She's not traveling.

Per diem is NOT just for traveling expenses. It is an allowance for each day you are away from your duty station. PER DIEM literally means per day. Those of us who have actually recieved per diem pay KNOW this is a non-issue.

Joe Steel
09-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Per diem is NOT just for traveling expenses. It is an allowance for each day you are away from your duty station. PER DIEM literally means per day. Those of us who have actually recieved per diem pay KNOW this is a non-issue.

"Per diem is NOT just for traveling expenses. It is an allowance for each day you are away from your duty station."

Is English your second language?

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

Joe Steel
09-12-2008, 06:57 AM
I understand some of you are saying it's fine because it's not technically illegal.

To me, it looks dirty, like she is taking the taxpayers for every dollar she can get.

I agree with Knowles -------- I simply would not do that myself. It's ethically compromised, it looks like money-grubbing.

Exactly. Per diem is intended to be compensation for the extra expense of traveling; room rental, restaurant meals, mileage. It's not intended to cover normal daily expenses. Palin was "at home" when she claimed it. She wasn't traveling. She abused the privilege.

darin
09-12-2008, 07:08 AM
[Dr.Lecter voice = on]Joe Steel may have severe childhood disturbances associated with violence. Our Joe Steel wasn't born an idiot, Clarice. Oh no, he was made one through years of systematic abuse. Our Joe Steel hates his own identity, you see. He always has, and he thinks that makes him a Liberal. But his pathology is a thousand times more savage and more terrifying. He wants to be reborn, you see. Our Joe Steel wants to be reborn, Clarice. And he will be reborn.

Joe Steel: Do you think that Obama wants you sexually? True, he is much older but do you think he visualizes scenarios, exchanges, fu@#$ng you?
[/voice]

Joe Steel
09-12-2008, 07:28 AM
[Dr.Lecter voice = on]Joe Steel may have severe childhood disturbances associated with violence. Our Joe Steel wasn't born an idiot, Clarice. Oh no, he was made one through years of systematic abuse. Our Joe Steel hates his own identity, you see. He always has, and he thinks that makes him a Liberal. But his pathology is a thousand times more savage and more terrifying. He wants to be reborn, you see. Our Joe Steel wants to be reborn, Clarice. And he will be reborn.

Joe Steel: Do you think that Obama wants you sexually? True, he is much older but do you think he visualizes scenarios, exchanges, fu@#$ng you?
[/voice]

Do you often fantasize about abnormal sex?

Missileman
09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
"Per diem is NOT just for traveling expenses. It is an allowance for each day you are away from your duty station."

Is English your second language?

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

You're the one saying she isn't "travelling" because she's in her home. You keep insisting that because she's at her destination that "per diem" should stop.

Abbey Marie
09-12-2008, 09:46 AM
:bang3:

darin
09-12-2008, 09:48 AM
....Abbey Normal sex???? :shiver:.... awesome.

Joe Steel
09-12-2008, 11:58 AM
You're the one saying she isn't "travelling" because she's in her home. You keep insisting that because she's at her destination that "per diem" should stop.

That's right.

She's at home so she shouldn't get per diem.

Missileman
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
That's right.

She's at home so she shouldn't get per diem.

She is in travel status and eligible to recieve per diem as long as she's away from Juneau. That's the way it works.

Joe Steel
09-12-2008, 01:01 PM
She is in travel status and eligible to recieve per diem as long as she's away from Juneau. That's the way it works.

Technically, yes. What she's doing probably isn't unlawful.

As a matter of fact, though, she's no more traveling, and thus eligible for the per diem, than other government workers who live the same distance or farther from their normal workplace. She's taking unfair advantage of the multiple offices available to the governor.

Missileman
09-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Technically, yes. What she's doing probably isn't unlawful.

As a matter of fact, though, she's no more traveling, and thus eligible for the per diem, than other government workers who live the same distance or farther from their normal workplace. She's taking unfair advantage of the multiple offices available to the governor.

How many people do you know who commute daily 850 miles each way?

BTW...there's another way to put "probably isn't unlawful". It's called "perfectly legal". If she wasn't eligible to receive per diem and claimed and received it, it would be an entirely different matter.

Psychoblues
09-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Not a single one of you jerks addressed my original post as to maybe it was due to her "State Church" business that the payment vouchers were filed!!!!!!!!

You're all such idiots for self imposed ignorance!!!!!!!!!!!!