PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fences

krisy
09-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Wow...do these work great. Our neighbors had put one up in their yard for their dogs and it worked great. Our problem was that our Golden/ German Shep mix Sandy was jumping into their yard all the time,then the next yard and so on. I have been taking my dogs out now for two years in the rain,snow,at 5:45 in the morning so I could watch Sandy.

Well,the neighbors had to get rid of one of their dogs and gave us the collar that their dog had. Even tho The electric fence is burried on their side,it is close enough to the fence that it works on our dog. He got buzzed couple of times and he doesn't typically come within 5 feet of the fence now. We were worried that he wouldn't feel the buzz because he has thick skin around his neck and German Shep fur,but it's going great. I felt horrible the first couple times he got a buzzer because he started acting real funny. Now he hears the warning beep and stops if he gets too close.

No more standing out in the snow while the dogs do their business!!!!:dance:

KitchenKitten99
09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
I wish I could do that with our dog, but we have a Siberian Husky. And with those dogs it doesn't work because they bolt too quickly and they would just run right through it. So we just bring him out to his kennel, come back in the house, let him do his business, he'll bark when he wants to come in, and we go get him. Helps keep cleanup a lot easier when it is on patio blocks and not grass.

krisy
09-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I wish I could do that with our dog, but we have a Siberian Husky. And with those dogs it doesn't work because they bolt too quickly and they would just run right through it. So we just bring him out to his kennel, come back in the house, let him do his business, he'll bark when he wants to come in, and we go get him. Helps keep cleanup a lot easier when it is on patio blocks and not grass.

We were worried Sandy might run right through it too. When he sees something in another yard,particularly cats, he gets very determined and focused and you can't stop the jump.He's off like lightning!

Clean up in the grass does get old. Probably because I am the only one in the house that knows how to clean up dog doo :rolleyes:. Sandy goes in only one area,but our Australian Shep goes wherever he wants.

My stepmom did warn me tho,once they get through the fence once,it won't work anymore.

Gaffer
09-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Controlling Sandy's fence jumping is a big step forward. Good to hear its working. The shock interrupts his focus so I doubt he'll really try to get through the fence.

hjmick
09-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I couldn't do that to a dog. Better to train them. Better to use a leash.

CatalystOfChaos
09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
What is snow?

hjmick
09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
What is snow?

From what I hear, it's kind of like frozen rain.

CatalystOfChaos
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Rain? Frozen?

What are these things you speak of?

I only understand heat, and sun, and beaches and swimming pools. Oh and shivering when its under 65 outside.

Mr. P
09-10-2008, 11:04 PM

It's only a training device..like a leash. It seems cruel but they get it very quickly.

crin63
09-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I wonder if it would work on kids? :laugh2:

hjmick
09-10-2008, 11:56 PM
It's only a training device..like a leash. It seems cruel but they get it very quickly.

I know, but I'm just soft that way.

CatalystOfChaos
09-11-2008, 04:10 AM
Hmm... now I need a collar that will shock the crap out of my girlfriend's Shih Tzu every time it yaps....

Mr. P
09-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Hmm... now I need a collar that will shock the crap out of my girlfriend's Shih Tzu every time it yaps....

They have such a collar..and it works well also.

krisy
09-11-2008, 03:37 PM

I know,I know. I felt horrible when he got his first buzz. He walked around with his head down and even acted funny in the house. Like Mr. P said tho,it works very quickly,as he only got it a couple of times before he learned. We also walked him around the yard on a leash so he could hear where the warning beep was and associate it with his limits.

gaffer and trinity(my father in law and sister in law) can vouch fro me that I am a serious dog lover. I have been working with them for fourteen years now. I would have preferred to replace the fence with a higher one,but the money isn't there. I just didn't want him to jump and get out and possibly get hit by a car. Even tho I stood with him outside,he would often take off and not hear me saying..."Saaaaaandy,STOP!!" I'm sure it was a lovely sight ...me climbing three fences to catch him:laugh2:

hjmick
09-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, Krisy, I understand and I am not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, I'm just a big softy where dogs are concerned. Treat them more like my children than pets.

Please know that I was in no way condemning your approach. They couldn't sell the collars if the shock was cruel.

krisy
09-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, Krisy, I understand and I am not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, I'm just a big softy where dogs are concerned. Treat them more like my children than pets.

Please know that I was in no way condemning your approach. They couldn't sell the collars if the shock was cruel.

No worries...I know what you meant:dance:

My dogs are spoiled too. We just love them. I wish I could do more for the homeless dogs out there,like fostering. Unfortunately,Sandy is very picky about what dogs he likes and doesn't. He tolerates calm dogs,but can't stand hyper ones(except for our Australian Dodger). The hubby brought home a Lab/Boxer mix last year that he found in the paper. Super sweet dog,but hyper as all get out. He lives at my mom's now:coffee: