PDA

View Full Version : Could Hillary have Palin Proofed the Obama ticket?

Immanuel
09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080910/pl_politico/13317

Republican Rep. Candice S. Miller says Barack Obama had only one shot at Palin-proofing the Democratic ticket — and he missed it when he passed over Hillary Rodham Clinton as his running mate.

Sarah Palin’s presence — coupled with Clinton’s absence — may be altering one of the great verities of American politics: that women voters overwhelmingly favor Democrats.

A Washington Post-ABC News poll released this week showed white women swinging hard against the Democratic ticket. Obama left Denver with an 8-point lead among white women; by the time John McCain pulled out of St. Paul, Minn., with Palin at his side, he had taken a 12-point lead.

I disagree with Rep. Miller. Hillary was not the only woman who might have Palin-proofed the Obama ticket. There are at least three very formidable woman (all from California) besides Hillary that he could have chosen that would have kept him from insulting women. They are Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein and I imagine there are others as well.

The problem was that Obama was caught unprepared for what happened. I can just imagine him sitting there at his desk the morning Sarah Palin was announced as the Republican VP candidate with his chin on his knees. He wasn't prepared for McCain to choose a female running mate. He was caught flat footed.

I don't know if Gov. Palin can deliver the Presidency to John McCain, but at least for now she has put the Obama camp on the defensive.

On a side note: had Obama chosen anyone of the four women I mentioned, I would be definitely voting for McCain.

Immie

JohnDoe
09-10-2008, 01:16 PM
If any other woman was picked by Obama, other than Hillary, it would have been an earlier downfall for him than this.....

the people that voted for Hillary would have seen such a complete slap in the face to their votes.

Immanuel
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
If any other woman was picked by Obama, other than Hillary, it would have been an earlier downfall for him than this.....

the people that voted for Hillary would have seen such a complete slap in the face to their votes.

I completely disagree with you. Maybe you feel that way, but it seems that other women feel that he slapped them personally in the face when he could have and should have chosen a woman as a running mate. There are plenty of reasons why he did not choose Hillary. Had he chosen Barbara Boxer, Democratic women would have crowned him King of King and Lord of Lord... oh, wait, the Democrats have already done that. They would have known why he didn't choose Hillary and they would have accepted his alternative.

And, I think, you have to admit, that you would have as well.

Immie

JohnDoe
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I completely disagree with you. Maybe you feel that way, but it seems that other women feel that he slapped them personally in the face when he could have and should have chosen a woman as a running mate. There are plenty of reasons why he did not choose Hillary. Had he chosen Barbara Boxer, Democratic women would have crowned him King of King and Lord of Lord... oh, wait, the Democrats have already done that. They would have known why he didn't choose Hillary and they would have accepted his alternative.

And, I think, you have to admit, that you would have as well.

ImmieAre you nuts? Any other woman other than the woman these people voted for would have been a complete slap in the face immie.

The only reason some are attracted to Palin is because McCain could not have picked Hillary, (therefore no slap in the face to a hillary voter) but Obama could have picked the woman that Democrats VOTED FOR....they did not vote for Hillary just because she was a woman, they voted for her because they felt she would have been a better president than Obama....

There were several republicans voting for Hillary that would have never voted for Obama...McCain/sarah Palin are getting their vote now....

it was Hillary that got 18,000,000 votes, NOT BOXER or feinstein etc....

Immanuel
09-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Are you nuts? Any other woman other than the woman these people voted for would have been a complete slap in the face immie.

The only reason some are attracted to Palin is because McCain could not have picked Hillary, (therefore no slap in the face to a hillary voter) but Obama could have picked the woman that Democrats VOTED FOR....they did not vote for Hillary just because she was a woman, they voted for her because they felt she would have been a better president than Obama....

There were several republicans voting for Hillary that would have never voted for Obama...McCain/sarah Palin are getting their vote now....

it was Hillary that got 18,000,000 votes, NOT BOXER or feinstein etc....

I might ask you the same thing... ARE YOU NUTS!!

Never mind, I already know that answer. It happens to be why I like you so much. :laugh2:

Immie

mundame
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM

Remember that you could say the same of Romney and McCain. A lot of primary voters chose Romney, but McCain didn't choose him as VP. In the old days, I've been reading, it was common practice to pick the No. 2 as VP, on the simple theory that the votes both got would then be additive.

Actually, that went on as late as Reagan picking George H.W. Bush.

But lately, whether the candidate could "get along with" the VP has become important, and of course it's rare the frontrunner likes the person who has been insulting him the whole primary race. So they pick somebody way out in left field. Like Bush Sr. picking Dan Quayle.

JohnDoe
09-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I might ask you the same thing... ARE YOU NUTS!!

Never mind, I already know that answer. It happens to be why I like you so much. :laugh2:

Immie

hahahahahahahaha! I almost took out asking you if you were nutszoid...but thought it should be okay with you as long as i didn't call you a liar in any way.... :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

and the feelings mutual!!!

jd

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2008, 02:47 PM
there is no doubt that if Obama had picked Hillary, McCain would not have picked Palin.....

mundame
09-10-2008, 02:48 PM
there is no doubt that if Obama had picked Hillary, McCain would not have picked Palin.....

I don't think so either. Maybe Guilani or Romney after all.

Immanuel
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM

McCain could have picked anyone he wanted after that. Maybe even a community organizer. :D

j/k

Immie

manu1959
09-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Remember that you could say the same of Romney and McCain. A lot of primary voters chose Romney, but McCain didn't choose him as VP. In the old days, I've been reading, it was common practice to pick the No. 2 as VP, on the simple theory that the votes both got would then be additive.

But lately, whether the candidate could "get along with" the VP has become important, and of course it's rare the frontrunner likes the person who has been insulting him the whole primary race. So they pick somebody way out in left field. Like Bush Sr. picking Dan Quayle.

i alwaysed like jfk picking lbj thinking he wouldn't take it because they hated each other......oops....

JohnDoe
09-11-2008, 07:27 AM

The vp has virtually no important job....other than be there if something happens to the president....or if there is a 50/50 senate, the vp is there to break tie breaker votes....as the president of the senate.

Winning the election is the important job of the candidate. If it takes a veep pick to do such, then it is done. That is old school politics, the Party ticket has to win.

Obama ignored this with his pick of vp....he thought he did not need Hillary...he thought he could easily win without her....he misjudged imo.

Mccain, did exactly what previous candidates have done, he picked a vp that could help him win.
jd

mundame
09-11-2008, 09:14 AM
i alwaysed like jfk picking lbj thinking he wouldn't take it because they hated each other......oops....

Oh, they ALL take it ---------------------

Because they've got their best shot at eventually being president that way.

As LBJ did. To our ruination and his, but he did get to be president.

PostmodernProphet
09-11-2008, 09:18 AM
The vp has virtually no important job....

ah, but it can be a stepping stone to greater things....like Nobel Prizes and Oscars......

mundame
09-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Obama ignored this with his pick of vp....he thought he did not need Hillary...he thought he could easily win without her....he misjudged imo.

Good point. If Obama loses narrowly, and/or the polls narrow, many and many are the voices that will point out that he could have added Hillary's beaucoup votes to his total and swept this thing, but noooooooooooooooo........

It could indeed be a fatal mistake, as we only see now.

[quote[Mccain, did exactly what previous candidates have done, he picked a vp that could help him win.
jd[/quote]

The jury is still out on that and they are very carefully not letting her talk to ANY reporters, because she knows absolutely nothing, I suspect. I personally think it's an absolutely terrifying choice for the people of America, and could backfire on McCain at any moment.

mundame
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM
JohnDoe, certainly McCain didn't do the old political calculus ------- that No. 2 vote getter gets the No. 2 slot, so the votes will all add together.

McCain chose someone WAY farther out in left field than Obama did. At least Obama chose Biden, a presidential candidate with real stature in Washington for decades, and good name recognition.

Still, neither of them chose a candidate for VP who brought in a lot of votes of committed partisans with him or her. And they could have.

Immanuel
09-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Mccain, did exactly what previous candidates have done, he picked a vp that could help him win.
jd

The jury is still out on that and they are very carefully not letting her talk to ANY reporters, because she knows absolutely nothing, I suspect. I personally think it's an absolutely terrifying choice for the people of America, and could backfire on McCain at any moment.

I agree there is a long way to go in this campaign and things can change over night. Recently, Obama has been on the defensive. None of us will know until November if McCain/Palin will be a winning ticket.

There is bound to be a lot of slop and a little bit of truth about each of the candidates that hit the media over the next month and a half.

McCain made a decent choice to get the attention of conservatives when he chose Gov Palin, but he may also have made a choice that will end up galvanizing his opponent's base.

Only time will tell.

Immie

mundame
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree there is a long way to go in this campaign and things can change over night. Recently, Obama has been on the defensive. None of us will know until November if McCain/Palin will be a winning ticket.

There is bound to be a lot of slop and a little bit of truth about each of the candidates that hit the media over the next month and a half.

McCain made a decent choice to get the attention of conservatives when he chose Gov Palin, but he may also have made a choice that will end up galvanizing his opponent's base.

Only time will tell.

Immie

McCain and Biden are normal politicians ----

But Obama and Palin are such Wild Childs!

I suspect October will pop like a popcorn popper with Surprises.