PDA

View Full Version : Virgil - Four feet in heaven

jimnyc
03-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Just got an email from my Mom that my cat, Virgil, who she has been taking care of for several years has passed away. I know he was suffering, so he is in peace now, but that doesn't make me feel too awfully much better. He was my friend, always was and always will be. I knew this day would come for a little while now but I tried to block it out like it would never happen. I adopted him while living in Virginia back in 1994. He was the coolest little kitty. Loved to play, all day and night, and didn't care if I was sleeping when it was time to pounce. Although he grew up to be a huge cat, and lived with many other cats his whole life, he was always friendly and seemed to respect the other cats and always looked out for the little ones around him. Even when I wasn't at my Mom's for long intervals, he always seemed to know my voice when I showed up and always had a way of looking in my eyes and meowing (likely for food, but I'll keep thinking otherwise). He had a good life, was well taken care of, and sure got his share of treats and naps in the bed. Mom took care of him in the same manner, which of course I'm very grateful for. I'm going to miss him.

Your favorite chair is vacant now...
No eager purrs to greet me.
No softly padded paws to run
Ecstatically to meet me.

No coaxing rubs, no plaintive cry
Will say it's time for feeding.
I've put away your bowl, and all
The things you won't be needing;

But I will miss you little friend,
For I could never measure
The happiness you brought me,
The comfort and the pleasure.

And since God put you here to share
In earthly joy and sorrow;
I'm sure there'll be a place for you
In Heaven's bright tomorrow...

- Alice E. Chase

krisy
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Aw jim,you got me tearing up. I'm so sorry.

My mom had to put her 120 pound boxer/shep/retriever mix down about two weeks ago. He was 12 which is ancient for a dog that size. I know how you feel.

It's so hard when they go because there is something about animals that is just so...innocent

Joan
03-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Do you believe this is the same cat the I was trying to smack when I fell and broke my leg (you were on the phone with me Jim). I do believe the little sucker came over and smiled at me while I awaited the ambulance!! But I too, grew to truly love that guy! He would sleep with me every night (weighing 25 lbs - and across my legs), but I loved it. Jim, keep in mind what a wonderful life he had. And no, Jimmy, he never forgot you - he would always come out to snuggle when his daddy came. But think of Wendell, Tigger, Sammy, Jake and now Virgil, having a hell of a good time together!!

krisy
03-14-2007, 04:37 PM
25 pounds!!!!:)

jim,it sounds to me like virgil had a nice life-lol!!

Abbey Marie
03-14-2007, 04:45 PM
There'a a reason for the expression "fat and happy"!

It' so hard after they are gone. You think you still see them around every corner, and the house seems so empty.

jimnyc
03-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I still feel sick about this. I've been playing with my dogs and picking them up non-stop since I got the news. It sucks when they're gone, but I make sure any animal I ever own gets the good life, and gets treated like part of the family.

krisy
03-14-2007, 07:13 PM
I still feel sick about this. I've been playing with my dogs and picking them up non-stop since I got the news. It sucks when they're gone, but I make sure any animal I ever own gets the good life, and gets treated like part of the family.

That's how it should be :)

My mom's house feel so empty now. She lost her 2 big dogs in 6 months. She still has a little one and a medium size one,but it still feels empty....there's too much room to walk now-lol!