PDA

View Full Version : Close to the Big bang

Noir
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Today the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was turned on, the machine is designed to recreate the condictions billionths of a second after the big bang.

Scientists have hailed a successful switch-on for an enormous experiment which will recreate the conditions a few moments after the Big Bang.

They have now fired two beams of particles called protons around the 27km-long tunnel which houses the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

The £5bn machine on the Swiss-French border is designed to smash protons together with cataclysmic force.

Scientists hope it will shed light on fundamental questions in physics.

Cern has not yet announced when it plans to carry out the first collisions, but the BBC understands that low-energy collisions could happen in the next few days. This will allow engineers to calibrate instruments, but will not produce data of scientific interest.

There are allot of big numbers in this, but 2 particals sent in oposite directions will get as close to the speed of light as possible (so fast that they will be able to go around the 27Km circut 11000 times per second) they will then be forced to collided under ultra sensitive equipment witch will take 40 million readings per second.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
so the goal is to recreate a reaction in which new laws of nature are formed and matter is created and a new equivalent of time begins......and people think this is a good idea?.....

crin63
09-10-2008, 03:08 PM
These morons just kill me. They use intelligently designed machines and equipment as well as a knowledge basis to try and reproduce something that they proposed happened by accident. To me it just further proves intelligent design.

manu1959
09-10-2008, 03:11 PM
so the goal is to recreate a reaction in which new laws of nature are formed and matter is created and a new equivalent of time begins......and people think this is a good idea?.....

don't worry god will stop them.....

Noir
Yeah, there have been loads of doomsday stories going around, about black holes being formed ect ect.

and the truth is that they really have no idea what is going to happen.

It would be quite funny in a ironic way if we where to be ripped out of reality itself, brings the notion that maybe we haven't found any other life in the universe becuase when they have got as advanced as us they have accedently opened a black hole and disapeared, and hence the only sign of them thats left is a blackhole somewhere.

But the real hope is that they will find a partical called the 'higg boson' or the 'God partical' this is a partical believed to have given mass to all atoms, if this is proved to be true, it will open up some serious questions.

manu1959
These morons just kill me. They use intelligently designed machines and equipment as well as a knowledge basis to try and reproduce something that they proposed happened by accident. To me it just further proves intelligent design.

maybe that is what they will end up proving......

Noir
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM

Morons? of all the things you could call these guys i wouldn't call them morons.

Just because you can make something happen on purpose doesn't mean it hasn't happened by accident, thats rather false logic.

YamiB.
09-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, there have been loads of doomsday stories going around, about black holes being formed ect ect.

and the truth is that they really have no idea what is going to happen.

It would be quite funny in a ironic way if we where to be ripped out of reality itself, brings the notion that maybe we haven't found any other life in the universe becuase when they have got as advanced as us they have accedently opened a black hole and disapeared, and hence the only sign of them thats left is a blackhole somewhere.

But the real hope is that they will find a partical called the 'higg boson' or the 'God partical' this is a partical believed to have given mass to all atoms, if this is proved to be true, it will open up some serious questions.

I'd say that the doomsday stories going around are being promoted by those that have a very limited understanding of physics and the details of what would be occurring with the machine. As I understand it the particles hitting each other could cause black holes to form but with what went into creating the black hole it would be minuscule in size and strength and would be in existence for less than a second.

I haven't found out for sure, but it seems like when people are saying that this is an attempt to prove the big bang or recreate the big bang seems to be wrong. Everything I've heard from the scientists has them saying that they are attempting to recreate what the universe was like right after the big bang.

I'm pretty interested in what one scientist I heard said about how there is a chance that this could help lend support to the existence of other dimensions.

The only thing I don't like about the activation of the LHC was that the US could have been at the head of science like this with the Superconducting Super Collider had it been finished.

AFbombloader
09-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Who says that this miniscule in size and strength black hole that may or may not open up for a fraction of a second wont be self replicating? It could start small and grow exponentially. We, and the scientists who are a lot smarter than me, do not know.

AF:salute:

I'd say that the doomsday stories going around are being promoted by those that have a very limited understanding of physics and the details of what would be occurring with the machine. As I understand it the particles hitting each other could cause black holes to form but with what went into creating the black hole it would be minuscule in size and strength and would be in existence for less than a second.

I haven't found out for sure, but it seems like when people are saying that this is an attempt to prove the big bang or recreate the big bang seems to be wrong. Everything I've heard from the scientists has them saying that they are attempting to recreate what the universe was like right after the big bang.

I'm pretty interested in what one scientist I heard said about how there is a chance that this could help lend support to the existence of other dimensions.

The only thing I don't like about the activation of the LHC was that the US could have been at the head of science like this with the Superconducting Super Collider had it been finished.

YamiB.
09-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Who says that this miniscule in size and strength black hole that may or may not open up for a fraction of a second wont be self replicating? It could start small and grow exponentially. We, and the scientists who are a lot smarter than me, do not know.

The scientists who know a lot more than both you and me (I assume) seem to think that the idea that these could devour the earth to be absurd.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.3381

If I've read this correctly it seems that even if a stable micro-black hole was formed that it would not be a risk within the lifetime of the planet.

AFbombloader
09-30-2008, 04:05 PM
The scientists who know a lot more than both you and me (I assume) seem to think that the idea that these could devour the earth to be absurd.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0806.3381

If I've read this correctly it seems that even if a stable micro-black hole was formed that it would not be a risk within the lifetime of the planet.

I agree, it sounds like the scientists are fairly sure they know what will not happen, but that is the funny thing about science. Sometimes you set results that are so far from what you expected that you never saw it coming.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/moEzECvJDas&hl=ko&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/moEzECvJDas&hl=ko&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I personally think this will go off without a hitch. Maybe they will discover something lifechanging, like the God element, maybe not. That is why they do experiments.

April15
09-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Part of the expected results will be a device like the transporter of star trek fame.

AFbombloader
09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Part of the expected results will be a device like the transporter of star trek fame.

I'm al for that. That would solve so many problems we have today. Energy crisis.....what energy crisis? They would need to be sure there would be no reorginazaton of molecules before I tried it, you want to go first?

April15
09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm al for that. That would solve so many problems we have today. Energy crisis.....what energy crisis? They would need to be sure there would be no reorginazaton of molecules before I tried it, you want to go first?Why not I have been first in trying most everything else.