PDA

View Full Version : it really happened just like this....

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2008, 06:27 PM
so, I had a trial this afternoon.....landlord/tenant case......tenant had broken the lease and moved out.....landlord was suing for the rent lost while the apartment was vacant....tenant had refused landlord's offer to apply the security deposit to rent and be done with it......he wanted his deposit back so the landlord was required by Michigan law to sue for the right to keep it.....

the tenant said he had a right to break the lease because the furnace wasn't working.....landlord couldn't understand it....the furnace had worked for the previous tenant and worked for the tenant after.....

fuel oil furnace.....I asked the tenant...."Is it true that the fuel oil tank was empty when you moved in?"....."Yes".......Is it true that the fuel oil tank was empty when you moved out?"....."Yes"....."During the time you lived there did you ever buy fuel oil?"......"No"......."Then how do you know that the furnace didn't work?"....."Because when I turned it on, nothing happened"......

Noir
09-10-2008, 06:36 PM
xD

My my, what a plank.

manu1959
09-10-2008, 06:57 PM
so, I had a trial this afternoon.....landlord/tenant case......tenant had broken the lease and moved out.....landlord was suing for the rent lost while the apartment was vacant....tenant had refused landlord's offer to apply the security deposit to rent and be done with it......he wanted his deposit back so the landlord was required by Michigan law to sue for the right to keep it.....

the tenant said he had a right to break the lease because the furnace wasn't working.....landlord couldn't understand it....the furnace had worked for the previous tenant and worked for the tenant after.....

fuel oil furnace.....I asked the tenant...."Is it true that the fuel oil tank was empty when you moved in?"....."Yes".......Is it true that the fuel oil tank was empty when you moved out?"....."Yes"....."During the time you lived there did you ever buy fuel oil?"......"No"......."Then how do you know that the furnace didn't work?"....."Because when I turned it on, nothing happened"......

please tell me you are making this up..........

hjmick
09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Kind of makes your job easy, don't it?

crin63
09-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. I live in L.A.

Yurt
09-10-2008, 08:08 PM
where do they bury the survivors?

PostmodernProphet
09-10-2008, 09:17 PM
please tell me you are making this up..........

no....I have to admit it really happened.....and to answer the two PM questions, the judge looked at the guys lawyer and said, rather than continue with another two hours testimony at this point I am going to adjourn the matter for two weeks....I suggest counsel seriously discuss settlement of this case.....