PDA

View Full Version : In Bed with Big Oil... Literally

hjmick
09-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Well, there seems to be trouble brewing for the folks responsible for selling oil and mineral rights to oil companies.

Sex For Oil Scandal At Interior Department
Inspector General Reports Accuse Government Employees Of Rigging Contracts In Exchange For Sex And Gifts

(CBS/ AP) Government officials handling billions of dollars in oil royalties engaged in illicit sex with employees of energy companies they were dealing with and received numerous gifts from them, federal investigators said Wednesday.

The allegations of bad behavior involve 13 government employees in Denver and Washington, reports CBS News investigative correspondent Sharyl Attkisson. Those accused are workers who sell U.S. mineral rights to oil companies. Such sales are one of the government's biggest sources of revenue besides taxes.

But the Inspector General for the Interior Department says they rigged contracts, and engaged in illegal moonlighting, drugs, sex and gift-taking from oil company representatives, according to three reports released Wednesday.

The reports revealed startling allegations including that an employee attended a so-called "treasure hunt" in the desert with all expenses paid by an oil producer, and that a former supervisor - who bought cocaine from a colleague then boosted her performance award - had sex with subordinates, and steered government contracts to an outside business where he also worked, Attkisson reports.

The investigations reveal a "culture of substance abuse and promiscuity" by a small group of individuals "wholly lacking in acceptance of or adherence to government ethical standards," wrote Inspector General Earl E. Devaney...

Devaney said the former head of the Denver Royalty-in-Kind office, Gregory W. Smith, used illegal drugs and had sex with subordinates. The report said Smith also steered government contracts to a consulting business that was employing him part-time...

"The government employees who oversee off-shore oil drilling are literally and figuratively in bed with big oil," said Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla.

"This all shows the oil industry holds shocking sway over the administration and even key federal employees," Nelson added. "This is why we must not allow big oil's agenda to be jammed through Congress..."

Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne, who was asked about the reports earlier in the day before they were given to him and congressional offices, said the investigation was prompted by a 2006 phone call from employee who said there were ethical lapses in the Denver office.

"I look forward to having the opportunity to review the inspector general's findings so we can take the appropriate actions," Kempthorne said.

Complete story... (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/10/national/main4436263.shtml)

Sounds like there could be some jail time in the future for some folks.

I do take slight umbrage with the statements of Bill Nelson. I'm not sure you can take the actions of a few employees and declare that the administration is being controlled by big oil.

Immanuel
09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, there seems to be trouble brewing for the folks responsible for selling oil and mineral rights to oil companies.

Sounds like there could be some jail time in the future for some folks.

I do take slight umbrage with the statements of Bill Nelson. I'm not sure you can take the actions of a few employees and declare that the administration is being controlled by big oil.

I agree with you, but it appears to me that someone felt left out. ;)

Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne, who was asked about the reports earlier in the day before they were given to him and congressional offices, said the investigation was prompted by a 2006 phone call from employee who said there were ethical lapses in the Denver office.

Immie

hjmick
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I agree with you, but it appears to me that someone felt left out. ;)

Immie

Yeah, I think that goes to the whole definition of a whore. A woman who is having sex with everyone but me!

Immanuel
09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I think that goes to the whole definition of a whore. A woman who is having sex with everyone but me!

Okay, I thought I already posted this, but it didn't come through. If it duplicates, I apologize.

I thought the employee who made the call in 2006 had to be a guy. He had to be jealous that he didn't get his piece with all the other guys.

Immie

hjmick
09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Okay, I thought I already posted this, but it didn't come through. If it duplicates, I apologize.

I thought the employee who made the call in 2006 had to be a guy. He had to be jealous that he didn't get his piece with all the other guys.

Immie

Yeah, I got ya. Big oil is the "whore" in my second post and they weren't sleeping with whoever made the call.

CatalystOfChaos
09-11-2008, 03:59 AM

Nope. A whore is a woman who sleeps with everyone.

A bitch (pardon the language for quoting accuracy's sake) is a woman who sleeps with everyone but me.

Psychoblues
09-11-2008, 04:38 AM
Nope, a whore is one that fucks whomever she wants but for a financial reason generally observed.

A bitch (pardon the language for quoting accuracy's sake) is a woman who sleeps with everyone but me.

A bitch is one who lies about her past, her experience and her qualifications. She generally wears lipstick. I wonder what that is compensation for?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

hjmick
09-11-2008, 10:09 AM

Thank you, I was drinking last night and screwed up the joke.

Immanuel
09-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Okay, so what exactly is going on with this investigation?

It hit the news, as far as I know late one afternoon and it was gone the next day. Did something happen that I missed or will heads roll over this?

PS, I suppose I could google a bit to find out. It just seemed that it hit one night late in the week and everyone shut up about it the next morning. What did I miss?

Immie