PDA

View Full Version : Victor Davis Hanson: Palin uproar reveals ugly side of today's feminism

stephanie
09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
:clap:

By Victor Davis Hanson
Article Launched: 09/10/2008 08:02:01 PM PDT

The media went hysterical over Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska and Republican nominee for vice president. She may have appeared to the public as an independent, capable professional woman, but to a particular elite she couldn't possibly be a real feminist or even a serious candidate. And that raises questions about what is — and what is not — feminism.

Feminism grew out of the 1960s to address sexual inequality. At an early age, I was mentored on most feminist arguments by my late mother. She graduated from Stanford Law School in the 1940s but then was offered only a single job as a legal secretary. Instead, she went back home to raise three children with my father, a teacher and farmer, and only returned to legal work in her 40s. She was eventually named a California superior court judge and, later, a state appellate court justice.

Hers was a common and compelling feminist argument of the times, and went something like this: Women should receive equal pay for equal work, and not be considered mere appendages of their husbands. Child-rearing — if properly practiced as a joint enterprise — did not preclude women from pursuing careers.

In such an ideal gender-blind workplace, women were not to be defined by their husband's or father's success or failure. The beauty of women's liberation was that it was not hierarchical but included the unmarried woman who drove a combine on her own farm, the corporate attorney and the homemaker who chose to home-school her children.

Women in the workplace did not look for special favors. And they surely did not wish to deny innately feminine differences. Instead, they asked only that men should not establish arbitrary rules of the game that favored their male gender.

That old definition of feminism is now dead. It has been replaced by a new creed that is far more restrictive — as the controversy over Sarah Palin attests. Out of the recent media frenzy, four general truths emerged about the new feminism:

First, there is a particular class and professional bent to the practitioners of feminism. Sarah Palin has as many kids as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, she has as much of a prior political record as the once-heralded Rep. Geraldine Ferraro, who was named to the Democratic ticket by Walter Mondale in 1984 — and arguably has as much or more executive experience than Barack Obama. Somehow all that got lost in the endless sneering stories about her blue-collar conservatism, small Alaskan town, five children, snowmobiling husband and Idaho college degree.

read the rest..
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10431862?source=rss

CatalystOfChaos
09-11-2008, 04:02 AM
The way I've had current feminism explained to me, via my old feminist theory professor was....

Feminism in its current form is the expression of seeking for equality and rights for everyone who is slighted, misrepresented, or in any way marginalized. This would include women, homosexuals, minorities, etc. My husband calls himself a feminist, and he's definitely not a woman.

I don't agree with her definition. But that's what she put forth to us. She was however, one of the most enlightening professors I've had. If not a tad bit weird.

Psychoblues
09-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Is feminism in this case the theory or the excuse?!?!?!??!?!?!??!

God, it hurts to see the conservatives whining like they do.

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

mundame
09-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Feminism in its current form is the expression of seeking for equality and rights for everyone who is slighted, misrepresented, or in any way marginalized. This would include women, homosexuals, minorities, etc. My husband calls himself a feminist, and he's definitely not a woman.

I don't agree with her definition. But that's what she put forth to us. She was however, one of the most enlightening professors I've had. If not a tad bit weird.

I don't agree with her definition either. Feminism is about women, that's that. Words DO have to mean something, after all.

Another thing I don't like about modern feminism is its emphasis on lesbians!! WHAT??? What does a rare sexual perversion have to do with the problem of women in a world where men have more of the fierceness hormone, testosterone? Lesbianism has nothing to do with anything relevant, I'd say, but somehow it comes up again and again in this sort of class. Rather repellant.

Abbey Marie
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
One need only look at the clip of Matt Damon to see that this author speaks the truth. The condescension towards Sarah Palin because she is a conservative Christian mom from small-town Alaska married to a blue-collar man, is so grossly hypocritical it's almost comical.

But as I've said before, it's all good. Even my Dem MIL is disgusted with it all, and says she is now "voting for Palin".