PDA

View Full Version : Bishops criticize Biden's abortion statements

crin63
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
The Associated Press
Two prominent U.S. Catholic bishops said Tuesday that Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden contradicted church teaching by saying in a weekend interview that determining when human life begins is a "personal and private" matter of religious faith he would not impose on others.

The statement from Cardinal Justin Rigali and Bishop William Lori said Biden, who appeared Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," is the latest case of the U.S. Catholic hierarchy correcting a Catholic politician.

Asked on the program about when life begins, Biden said: "Look, I know when it begins for me. It's a personal and private issue. For me, as a Roman Catholic, I am prepared to accept the teachings in my church."

He added that while he believes life begins "at the moment of conception," it would inappropriate to impose that view on others in a pluralistic society.

The bishops said Biden was right to say human life begins at conception. But the church "does not teach this as matter of faith; it acknowledges it as a matter of objective fact," they said.

"Protection of innocent human life is not an imposition of personal religious conviction but a demand of justice," they added.

A spokesman for Biden did not immediately respond Tuesday to requests for comment.

Rigali, of Philadelphia, is chairman of the U.S. bishops' Committee on Pro-Life Activities. Lori, of Bridgeport, Conn., is chairman of the bishops' Committee on Doctrine.

Last month, a chorus of bishops issued statements scolding Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for misstating Catholic teaching about when life begins in defense of her support for abortion rights. She accepted an invitation to meet privately with San Francisco Archbishop George Niederauer, the bishop of her home diocese, to discuss the matter.

http://www.star-telegram.com/190/story/896997.html

theHawk
09-11-2008, 10:42 AM
These Catholic democrat politicians are the absolute worst. They believe and know that life begins at conception, and yet they still are willing to provide people with the "freedom" to kill such life.

Psychoblues
09-21-2008, 02:50 AM
Think so, huk? All of the Catholic Priests that I have met think the Church is no place for government and visa versa. That's pretty much it. Even then, I just know you will again get confused!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

PostmodernProphet
09-21-2008, 05:28 AM
/shrugs....this bishop isn't talking politics, he's talking enforcing Church doctrine on a member....I would say that's the place for the Church to be, wouldn't you?....

theHawk
09-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Think so, huk? All of the Catholic Priests that I have met think the Church is no place for government and visa versa. That's pretty much it. Even then, I just know you will again get confused!!!!!!!!!!!

The Church is no place for government? Is that supposed to mean society should not pass laws based on religious morals? If thats the case then I'd expect to hear you lobby to take murder off the books as a crime, since you know, religion is the what says murder is wrong.

And by the way, I've heard plenty of Catholic priests say that we should vote according to our beliefs.

CatalystOfChaos
09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
The Church is no place for government? Is that supposed to mean society should not pass laws based on religious morals? If thats the case then I'd expect to hear you lobby to take murder off the books as a crime, since you know, religion is the what says murder is wrong.

And by the way, I've heard plenty of Catholic priests say that we should vote according to our beliefs.

For the record, religion is not the only place that determines murder as wrong.

There are many secular philosophies and belief systems totally separate of religion that say that murder, lying, adultery, etc are all wrong.

Our government was based off of the Biblical Christian morals. But that is not the only place people can get the idea or belief that murder is wrong.

crin63
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
For the record, religion is not the only place that determines murder as wrong.

There are many secular philosophies and belief systems totally separate of religion that say that murder, lying, adultery, etc are all wrong.

Our government was based off of the Biblical Christian morals. But that is not the only place people can get the idea or belief that murder is wrong.

Religion may not be the only place, but I believe it is the foundation. Although secular philosophies and belief systems may have similar beliefs of right and wrong I tend to believe that even those were derived from the 10 commandments whether they realize it or not. Through traditions carried down after the 10 commandments were written and therefore lends legitimacy to the claim that they are religious based.

Psychoblues
09-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Perhaps those bishops should better spend their time chasing the little girls instead of the little boys.

Would that get your attention?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!????!?

Immanuel
09-27-2008, 09:24 AM
It is absolutely the place for the leaders of one's faith to correct a member of their church when he or she has strayed. Joe Biden is a Catholic. If something Joe Biden says or does is contrary to the Catholic faith then the Bishops of that faith should do everything in their power to restore Senator Biden to his faith.

Simply because Senator Biden is a member of the U.S. Government does not mean that those Bishops should remain silent on something that they believe affects his eternal soul. Senator Biden is in direct contradiction to Catholic teachings in regards to abortion and even worse he is doing so publicly.

Public sin must be dealt with publicly. If Senator Biden had sinned in any way but the sin was not public then the church would be obligated to keep that sin out of the public eye and to work with Senator Biden behind closed doors. However, Senator Biden is contradicting the teachings of the Catholic Church and he is doing so very publicly. It is the Church's obligation to his soul to work to restore him to the faith and to do so publicly. In some respects it could even lead to church discipline if the sinner refuses to repent.

Now, whether or not anyone of us agree or disagree with the church's position on the matter of abortion is irrelevant. What is relevant is that Senator Biden remains a Catholic and professes the Catholic faith. Where he is in contradiction to that faith, the Bishops must work to correct the contradiction.

Now, before I get condemned for the above statement: "If Senator Biden had sinned in any way but the sin was not public then the church would be obligated to keep that sin out of the public eye and to work with Senator Biden behind closed doors." I do not believe that this encourages silence on issues such as the sexual molestation of children by priests. There are certain things here on earth that must be dealt with here on earth and God has given governments the authority to deal with those kinds of things.

Immie

My Winter Storm
10-01-2008, 02:01 AM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He has his beliefs, yet has enough respect that he would not impose those views on other people. I find that admirable. There are not many religious folk out there who have their own personal beliefs, yet refuse to press those views on others.

stang56k
10-01-2008, 07:47 AM
He opposes cause it limits the little boys he can molest? :laugh2:

Immanuel
10-01-2008, 07:56 AM
He opposes cause it limits the little boys he can molest? :laugh2:

Not funny Stang, I don't like Biden, but implying that he molests children without even an ounce of proof just isn't funny. :coffee:

Immie

stang56k
10-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Not funny Stang, I don't like Biden, but implying that he molests children without even an ounce of proof just isn't funny. :coffee:

Immie

Was refering to the bishop. I misread it... my mistake.

Immanuel
10-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Was refering to the bishop. I misread it... my mistake.

No problem. That does make more sense.

Immie