PDA

View Full Version : Sitarro

Abbey Marie
09-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Aren't you near the possible path of Ike? Are you evacuating?

Stay safe!

ETA: Sticking thread until Sitarro replies.

Sitarro
09-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Aren't you near the possible path of Ike? Are you evacuating?

Stay safe!

ETA: Sticking thread until Sitarro replies.

Yes, at the moment it is suppose to come directly across my house. I'm a solid 80 miles from the coast so I'm not overly worried except that I have at least 30 trees including about 10 100' pines, it will be nature's way to prune them. I do get 2 days off, they are closing the airport Friday before I was suppose to go in and it will remain closed thru Saturday so I will be home with a new blade for my chain saw. Hopefully we will continue to keep our electricity flowing, this community has it's utilities running underground so even if interrupted, it comes back pretty quickly. They airlines are flying all the aircraft out of both major airports later today, quite an undertaking.

When Rita came through I was in the front yard smoking a cigar waiting for her and the trees barely moved. The one thing hurricanes are is unpredictable, I'm still not sure it will hit here, nobody is, but I'll deal with whatever comes. What is ironic is that it is suppose to hit the Southwest area outside of Houston where most of the biggest troublemakers from New Orleans settled, maybe this will send them back, we can only hope.

When I was younger and living in Lafayette, Louisiana(within 25 miles of the coast), hurricanes were events in life, only people that lived on the actual coast would go inland, everyone else stuck it out. I don't remember the particular one but when the eye passed over us it became eerily silent and calm, my little brother and I ran out and threw a frisbee around until my Mother screamed for us to get back under the stairs, when I moved into my own place, we would usually go to hurricane parties......... they just weren't that big of a deal. Hopefully I don't have some kind of hurricane Karma debt to pay this time.

Thank you for your concern.:coffee:

red states rule
09-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Sitarro, you and your family are in my prayers

Gaffer
09-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Good to hear your ok. Sounds like the storm will be blunted somewhat when it gets to you. Your only real concern is tornadoes and high winds. Hopefully all the pruning is done away from your house. Good luck and happy sawing.

crin63
09-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Yes, at the moment it is suppose to come directly across my house. I'm a solid 80 miles from the coast so I'm not overly worried except that I have at least 30 trees including about 10 100' pines,

80 miles, does that put you near Conroe? My parents live in Conroe and my brother lives in Houston I think (he just moved). I'm sure my dad is having his house boarded up. He keeps 1" plywood at the house to cover all the widows and doors. My mom, sister and my sisters kids all went to El Paso for Rita.

I have to call them today and see how they're all doing and what their plans are.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
09-12-2008, 09:49 AM
115 mph winds slated when it hits the coast are nothing to scoff at....and the diameter of this storm is quite large....

We had winds as it was blowing past Cuba...gusts up to 50 miles....and that is well over 130 miles, while the storm was Cat 1 or 2.

Be safe!

http://www.stormpulse.com/ is the best site I've found, of late, for watching out for the big ones....

hjmick
09-12-2008, 10:10 AM
My Mom flew in to Houston yesterday. She told me that what is normally a 50 minute drive to her home from BIA took 3 1/2 hours. A lot of people bugging out.

darin
09-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Are you worried about tornados - even if you don't get the brunt of the hurricane? For me, with big storms, it's the 2nd and 3rd order affects which scare me.

hjmick
09-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Are you worried about tornados - even if you don't get the brunt of the hurricane? For me, with big storms, it's the 2nd and 3rd order affects which scare me.

I don't know about Sit, but that seems to be my mom's biggest concern.

Abbey Marie
09-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm glad you're okay. You sound like you have everything as ready as possible, but be careful of those tornadoes and trees falling.

Please give us a post-storm update.

Immanuel
09-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Stay safe Sitarro.

Mine and my families prayers are with not only you, but all the people who are in Ike's path.

Immie

Abbey Marie
09-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Hey my friend,
I am assuming that you don't have electricity, so you cannot post how you are doing. Please let us know how you are as soon as you can.

crin63
09-15-2008, 12:47 PM
In case it helps your worries, I spoke to my parents last night. They are about 80 miles north of Galveston in Conroe about the same distance that Sit said he was from Galveston.

Their fence blew over to about 45 degrees. Their neighbors roof shingles were on their lawn. Their power is out and won't be back on for 2-4 weeks. Cell phones are back up and working in their area.

Sitarro
09-16-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey you guys, thanks for the prayers, they were definitely appreciated.

The power is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been out since Saturday morning, what a BAD ASS storm! I did go out across the street right in the middle of it all and could see the 100 foot pine trees bending, what looked like, 30 feet..... I ran back into the house and was soaked from head to toe. There are lot of downed trees, I have the 15 foot top of one, that was sheared off by what looks like a tornado and speared through my roof into the attic. The back fence was blown down and all of the trees were definitely pruned. All of my family did well, I think I am the only one with any damage. We were told that we wouldn't have power back for at least 2 weeks to a month so it really is a joy to have power, internet and television all of a sudden. It woke me up out of a dead sleep and now I'm wide awake. Joni Mitchell was so right when she wrote that you really don't know what you have till it's gone.

There aren't too many stores open, they are slowly coming back, gas is hard to find and the airport is trying to return to normal. We are on curfew and aren't suppose to be out between 11 pm to 7 am. I took a bike ride last night and couldn't believe how dark it was except for a few cars and the homes that had generators. My friend has a one rated at a continuos 8,000 watts which only ran his fridge, lights, a fan and his television........ he wasn't satisfied with that and ordered an 18,000 watt natural gas powered unit that is coming in tomorrow........ oops, 5 grand!

I am amazed just how spoiled we are, no power, no ice, refrigerated food, TV, cell phone...... etc. People were going nuts the first day. I found that being out of touch with the rest of the world was the worst thing...... that and no Debate Policy to post on. I've definitely learned a lot........ still can't stand that punk ass Obamasama.

Sitarro
09-16-2008, 04:48 AM
In case it helps your worries, I spoke to my parents last night. They are about 80 miles north of Galveston in Conroe about the same distance that Sit said he was from Galveston.

Their fence blew over to about 45 degrees. Their neighbors roof shingles were on their lawn. Their power is out and won't be back on for 2-4 weeks. Cell phones are back up and working in their area.

I am just south of Conroe, right off of I-45.

Immanuel
09-16-2008, 06:01 AM
Glad to hear you are well, Sitarro.

Hope the power gets back on and necessities aren't too difficult to find.

Immie

Sitarro
09-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Glad to hear you are well, Sitarro.

Hope the power gets back on and necessities aren't too difficult to find.

Immie

Thank you and the power is back on. I have drinking water and a bunch of cans of tuna so I'm sure I'll be OK. Things seem to be bouncing back pretty quickly now, Wal-Mart is already fully stocked and opening at 7 am. It will be awhile for Galveston but Texans don't sit around and cry "woe is me" too long, we were out cleaning up a few hours after the storm came through..... in the rain. I'm sure the people of Galveston will be back as soon as they are allowed and most won't be asking for the Feds to save them, they knew what they risk by living there, they accept it. So far it has been the professional whiners that squatted here from New Orleans that have been doing most of the crying.

darin
09-16-2008, 07:30 AM
If the mail was workin, I'd send off a 'care package' to ya. Lots of photos of my car, and a case of beer.

:D

:poke:

Glad you're okay, Sit. We lost our power for a couple days back in WA. At first it was nuts. Then, I sorta liked it. I liked how simple life had become. Course, when the power came back on, it was like xmas.
:)

Immanuel
09-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Thank you and the power is back on. I have drinking water and a bunch of cans of tuna so I'm sure I'll be OK. Things seem to be bouncing back pretty quickly now, Wal-Mart is already fully stocked and opening at 7 am. It will be awhile for Galveston but Texans don't sit around and cry "woe is me" too long, we were out cleaning up a few hours after the storm came through..... in the rain. I'm sure the people of Galveston will be back as soon as they are allowed and most won't be asking for the Feds to save them, they knew what they risk by living there, they accept it. So far it has been the professional whiners that squatted here from New Orleans that have been doing most of the crying.

Duh!

I knew that the power was on!

Speaking of Texans... them darned Cowturds! er Cowboys. I'm not an Eagles fan, but I don't like Jerry Jones or the Cowt... er Cowboys and have not since he took control. I won't until he relinquishes control either!

I would not mind seeing them lose every game between now and the time he gives up and sells them. Ok, Immie, time to come back to reality. :laugh2:

Immie

Gaffer
09-21-2008, 08:01 AM
After his stay in Texas, Ike decided to visit Ohio. 60 to 80 mph winds that left trees down, roofs blown off, and more than a million people with no power. Seven days later we finally have power again and I can get back on the board. I was really getting tired of cooking on the portable fire pit on the back porch, and doing things by candle light in the evening. Not to mention we had to throw out all the food in the fridge. No hot water, couldn't take a shower or wash clothes or dishes.

The energy company had to recall all their people from Texas. Now they are reevaluating the energy grid here.

Sitarro
09-21-2008, 01:28 PM
After his stay in Texas, Ike decided to visit Ohio. 60 to 80 mph winds that left trees down, roofs blown off, and more than a million people with no power. Seven days later we finally have power again and I can get back on the board. I was really getting tired of cooking on the portable fire pit on the back porch, and doing things by candle light in the evening. Not to mention we had to throw out all the food in the fridge. No hot water, couldn't take a shower or wash clothes or dishes.

The energy company had to recall all their people from Texas. Now they are reevaluating the energy grid here.

I know almost exactly what you've gone through, I never lost water or gas to heat it. It does suck but I found that after three days, (we were lucky with a cold front to cool things down) it had almost a calming effect to my life. No news, no television, no internet, some radio coverage but mostly just about the hurricane, no newspapers....... just survival and helping neighbors....... quite an eye opener. I, of course, don't have kids so I am sure that it would have been a lot harder with them.
I finally defrosted my refrigerator, did lose everything though. The trees were pruned, by nature....... how very green, no power tools or nasty petroleum products used.:cool:

I had some loss but was extremely lucky, I am very sorry for all that lost everything they had but their lives. Hopefully they will be able to recover over time, I wish they wouldn't rebuild on silly peninsulas and islands though, but they are free to do it all over again....... if they do, we shouldn't have to pay for their stupidity again.

Gaffer
09-21-2008, 04:00 PM
I was in a hurricane in 1974 and that was the last time I saw winds like what we had last Sunday. You could hear the trees breaking in the woodline across the street. There were trees uprooted all over the place and power lines down everywhere. Trees with 30 foot root diameters were blown over on houses, cars and roadways. No rain, just extreme winds.

The entire state of Ohio was declared a disaster area. It took me days to find out that information. Also there was no warning of this and no one had time to prepare. Being in an outlying area we were some of the last to get the power back on.

Around here we now refer to it as the Ohio hurricane.

Sitarro
09-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I was in a hurricane in 1974 and that was the last time I saw winds like what we had last Sunday. You could hear the trees breaking in the woodline across the street. There were trees uprooted all over the place and power lines down everywhere. Trees with 30 foot root diameters were blown over on houses, cars and roadways. No rain, just extreme winds.

The entire state of Ohio was declared a disaster area. It took me days to find out that information. Also there was no warning of this and no one had time to prepare. Being in an outlying area we were some of the last to get the power back on.

Around here we now refer to it as the Ohio hurricane.

An amazing storm, must be Global Warming.:cool: I believe a tornado or at least some kind of micro burst hit my neighborhood. A hundred foot pine in my yard, had 12 feet of the top sheared off and speared into my roof while 30 others around it just lost branches. There is a straight line of broken trees across our neighborhood that would indicate a tornado.

Kathianne
09-21-2008, 04:25 PM
An amazing storm, must be Global Warming.:cool: I believe a tornado or at least some kind of micro burst hit my neighborhood. A hundred foot pine in my yard, had 12 feet of the top sheared off and speared into my roof while 30 others around it just lost branches. There is a straight line of broken trees across our neighborhood that would indicate a tornado.

Last week certainly must have been one for the books. While I watched the news about Ike, I failed to notice the downpour Friday night into Saturday. Then came the rain remnants of Ike on Sunday, before it headed north into CA. We ended up with more rain than Houston, parts of IL and IN are still flooded this weekend.

Gaffer
09-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Last week certainly must have been one for the books. While I watched the news about Ike, I failed to notice the downpour Friday night into Saturday. Then came the rain remnants of Ike on Sunday, before it headed north into CA. We ended up with more rain than Houston, parts of IL and IN are still flooded this weekend.

Yeah you all got the rain while we got the wind. Seems Ike was a lot nastier than anybody expected. He sure didn't stop at Texas.

An amazing storm, must be Global Warming. I believe a tornado or at least some kind of micro burst hit my neighborhood. A hundred foot pine in my yard, had 12 feet of the top sheared off and speared into my roof while 30 others around it just lost branches. There is a straight line of broken trees across our neighborhood that would indicate a tornado.

Sounds like it was a tornado to me too. At least it missed your house, though your roof repair will be time consuming. We have a yard full of shingles as well.

I'm sure it was all Bush's fault. :poke: