PDA

View Full Version : No bike helmet? Lose your wheels

-Cp
09-11-2008, 02:13 PM
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/09/11/no_bike_helmet_lose_your_wheels/

Immanuel
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Thank you big brother for taking care of me and insisting I wear a helmet when I ride my bike!!!

Bah!!!

When I was a kid, no one wore helmets while riding bikes, skating or what have ya and rarely did we get more than skinned elbows and knees. This is ridiculous, but then its Massachuesetts. There is a limit to how much we should baby our kids and this crosses the limit.

Immie

Abbey Marie
09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Here are some a good law-abiding citizens.

http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/04/AP080411023197.jpg

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06_16/obama_bike.jpg

Immanuel
09-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Here are some a good law-abiding citizens.

http://www.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06_16/obama_bike.jpg

I always suspected he was a wimp.

Immie

Noir
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
mock not, I almost died when I was a sprog by fallin of my bike without a helmet, had to get stitchs down the right side of my face and still have a scar through my eyebrow that'll be there for life, somthing as stupid as not wading a helmet and I could have died, crazy when ya think about it like that.

Alas my answer was not to wear a helmet, but instead to not ride bikes.

Immanuel
09-11-2008, 02:54 PM
mock not, I almost died when I was a sprog by fallin of my bike without a helmet, had to get stitchs down the right side of my face and still have a scar through my eyebrow that'll be there for life, somthing as stupid as not wading a helmet and I could have died, crazy when ya think about it like that.

Alas my answer was not to wear a helmet, but instead to not ride bikes.

My dad did as well when he was a kid, but there is a limit on how much of a nanny state we want to live in. I used to ride down the hill in the place I lived just as fast as I could and I'm certain one wrong move would have killed me or at least seriously injured me, but we're raising children that have not experienced life. We're letting our kids grow up pansies.

Sprog?

Immie

CatalystOfChaos
09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
I always suspected he was a wimp.

Immie

As a public political figure, I'm not sure wearing a helmet makes him a wimp lol

He's overly scrutinized and every detail of his life is brought under the microscope. If he doesn't wear it, he's reckless and is a bad example to children. If he does, he's a wimp.

I'd hate to be a politician.

Abbey Marie
09-11-2008, 03:01 PM
As a public political figure, I'm not sure wearing a helmet makes him a wimp lol

He's overly scrutinized and every detail of his life is brought under the microscope. If he doesn't wear it, he's reckless and is a bad example to children. If he does, he's a wimp.

I'd hate to be a politician.

He sure looks wimpy...

CatalystOfChaos
09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
That's true Abbey. I can't deny that.

But hey, its ok, because he represents change right? Hilarious part of the JibJab video featuring Obama prancing around with forest animals...

"Gosh i'm so tired of divisive exchange, and i've got one or two things to say about change, like the change we must change to the change we hold dear, I really like change have i made myself clear?

So he'll talk about change till you're deaf in the ear!"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/adc3MSS5Ydc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/adc3MSS5Ydc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Abbey Marie
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
That's true Abbey. I can't deny that.

But hey, its ok, because he represents change right? Hilarious part of the JibJab video featuring Obama prancing around with forest animals...

"Gosh i'm so tired of divisive exchange, and i've got one or two things to say about change, like the change we must change to the change we hold dear, I really like change have i made myself clear?

So he'll talk about change till you're deaf in the ear!"

"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss..."

hjmick
09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
How the hell did any of us ever survive childhood without the government there to protect us?

I feel lucky to be alive.

Noir
09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
My dad did as well when he was a kid, but there is a limit on how much of a nanny state we want to live in. I used to ride down the hill in the place I lived just as fast as I could and I'm certain one wrong move would have killed me or at least seriously injured me, but we're raising children that have not experienced life. We're letting our kids grow up pansies.

Sprog?

Immie

I don't see how this is not letting kids experience life, it's not like they have to wear a full body suit or anything, it's a helmet to protect the most important organ in the body.

And sprog means 'little one'

Little-Acorn
09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Holliston police, frustrated in trying to drive home the point that riding without a helmet is dangerous and illegal, are hoping the tactic will finally get the attention of young riders.

Brings to mind some vague saying about sacrificing liberty to get a little temporary safety. But that was just some old, dead white guy, so it's probably not "operative" any more.

Who cares what they thought two hundred years ago... or why?

April15
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Stupidity is supposed to be painful!

Mr. P
09-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Thank you big brother for taking care of me and insisting I wear a helmet when I ride my bike!!!

Bah!!!

When I was a kid, no one wore helmets while riding bikes, skating or what have ya and rarely did we get more than skinned elbows and knees. This is ridiculous, but then its Massachuesetts. There is a limit to how much we should baby our kids and this crosses the limit.

Immie

Lots of skinned knees, elbows, stitches, bumps and bruises. I survived and had a lot of fun. We even played tag, kickball, MURDER the man with the ball, chicken fights, mango fights (with rotten mangoes), army and all kinds of now unacceptable games. We played outside until dark and sometimes after, not on a couch in front of a vidio game. Those were the days!

We are seeing the "fun" in being a kid legislated away...why? SAD.

Little-Acorn
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM

It only becomes painful when reality intervenes. Those who manage to shield their stupidity from the real world, seldom feel pain.

Government intervention to "protect" us from the results of our stupidity, is by far the most common shield used nowadays.

Immanuel
09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't see how this is not letting kids experience life, it's not like they have to wear a full body suit or anything, it's a helmet to protect the most important organ in the body.

And sprog means 'little one'

It is not so much this in itself, Noir. It is the belief that we have to protect our children from getting scrapes and bruises and that we have to let the government tell us how to do it and then if we don't agree with them to force us to do it.

Immie

Immanuel
09-11-2008, 05:55 PM

That's alright April. We all know you are as old as dirt and getting a bit senile so being a kid has slipped away from you. Just teasing!

Immie

Little-Acorn
09-11-2008, 07:32 PM
It is the belief that we have to protect our children from getting scrapes and bruises
Correct. And that's as it should be.

Only when "We" gets perverted into "government" in the above statement, does it become dangerously misguided.

In other words, only when liberals say it.

The fundamental difference between liberals (in both parties) and conservatives, is that when making the above statement, conservatives mean that Mom and Dad have to protect their kids. Modern liberals mean that government has to do it.