PDA

View Full Version : Shooters, What's your favorite caliber or gun?

crin63
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I have shooting on my mind because I am taking about 20 women shooting Saturday and I'm making the preparations for it.

I'm going to start one group out with Ruger Mark 3 .22 pistols then move them up to Beretta and Taurus 9mm and/or Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 specials.

If they decide to keep going I will move them up to Glock and/or Taurus .40 S&W then Kimber or Sig Sauer .45 acp.

The 2nd group will start out on Ruger 10/22 rifles, move up to AR-15's and then to either an FN Super Police .308 or an NM M1A in .308.

My plan is to switch the 2 groups around after about an hour and a half to two hours.

Mr. P
09-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I have shooting on my mind because I am taking about 20 women shooting Saturday and I'm making the preparations for it.

I'm going to start one group out with Ruger Mark 3 .22 pistols then move them up to Beretta and Taurus 9mm and/or Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 specials.

If they decide to keep going I will move them up to Glock and/or Taurus .40 S&W then Kimber or Sig Sauer .45 acp.

The 2nd group will start out on Ruger 10/22 rifles, move up to AR-15's and then to either an FN Super Police .308 or an NM M1A in .308.

My plan is to switch the 2 groups around after about an hour and a half to two hours.

For introduction I think .22 is perfect.

Not sure of the goal you have..so I can't comment on any other cal.

I can say I'm damn jealous!! On the other hand, 20 women on the range at once, yer either crazy or a STUD! :laugh2:

CatalystOfChaos
09-11-2008, 03:24 PM
yer either crazy or a STUD! :laugh2:

He's both!

hjmick
09-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm partial to my Colt 1911.

Abbey Marie
09-11-2008, 04:06 PM
The only thing I ever shot was a .22 at a range. Lots of fun!

OCA
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Desert Eagle .50 cal

April15
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
For a sure kill use a howitzer cannon.

crin63
09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
For introduction I think .22 is perfect.

Not sure of the goal you have..so I can't comment on any other cal.

For some of the ladies and girls going it will be an introduction to shooting. At least 1/3 have never handled a gun. The other 2/3 it has been about 2-5 years since they went shooting, maybe longer and they have only been shooting a couple times. This will be my 2nd ladies shoot-out.

One of ladies going was raised by hippies (her description) and she is terrified at the thought of being near a gun but she said if I agreed to personally teach her and help her she would go. My wife will be there right next to me.

About 1/2 of them want to get their hands on my AR-15's and M1a.

For me this is an opportunity to create some gun enthusiast converts or at least help them to see that guns aren't bad.

Mr. P
09-11-2008, 11:55 PM
For some of the ladies and girls going it will be an introduction to shooting. At least 1/3 have never handled a gun. The other 2/3 it has been about 2-5 years since they went shooting, maybe longer and they have only been shooting a couple times. This will be my 2nd ladies shoot-out.

One of ladies going was raised by hippies (her description) and she is terrified at the thought of being near a gun but she said if I agreed to personally teach her and help her she would go. My wife will be there right next to me.

About 1/2 of them want to get their hands on my AR-15's and M1a.

For me this is an opportunity to create some gun enthusiast converts or at least help them to see that guns aren't bad.

You may like this site...http://www.handgunforum.net/index.php

diuretic
09-12-2008, 03:40 AM
I used to have a very nice .38 Special Colt Diamondback which I loved. It was my personal duty weapon when I was a detective (I owned it, not the dept). When I went back to gd I used the standard issue .357 S&W Model 19, that was a good handgun, solid and packed a punch.

I've never fired a Glock so can't comment, I've fired a Colt 1911 (it wasn't mine, it was a friend's) and I remember being extremely impressed with it.

I'm not an expert on firearms, just fired a few that's all.

crin63
09-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm partial to my Colt 1911.

I used to have a very nice .38 Special Colt Diamondback which I loved. It was my personal duty weapon when I was a detective (I owned it, not the dept). When I went back to gd I used the standard issue .357 S&W Model 19, that was a good handgun, solid and packed a punch.

I've never fired a Glock so can't comment, I've fired a Colt 1911 (it wasn't mine, it was a friend's) and I remember being extremely impressed with it.

I love the Colt 1911, I think that's my favorite. I had a stainless gold cup model 1911 that was stolen, recovered and then stolen again (so to speak).
After the police recovered it a few years later I pawned it to get a loan on it after a surgery. The pawn shop never sent me a notice and they sold it. That was a tragic day.

I just bought an Officers Model 1911 last Saturday, It's a little shorter and only holds 6 rounds but it sure fits my hand nicely.

I'm not overly impressed with Glock. I have one, its a .40 S&W and maybe its just the caliber I don't care for. I'm going to try one in .45 and 9mm to see how I like those before I write off Glock since they have such a great reputation.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Gotta say, I really liked shooting my M-16....

Now I have an affinity for Kimbers....my .45 custom is my fave....

Mr. P
09-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I love the Colt 1911, I think that's my favorite. I had a stainless gold cup model 1911 that was stolen, recovered and then stolen again (so to speak).
After the police recovered it a few years later I pawned it to get a loan on it after a surgery. The pawn shop never sent me a notice and they sold it. That was a tragic day.

I just bought an Officers Model 1911 last Saturday, It's a little shorter and only holds 6 rounds but it sure fits my hand nicely.

I'm not overly impressed with Glock. I have one, its a .40 S&W and maybe its just the caliber I don't care for. I'm going to try one in .45 and 9mm to see how I like those before I write off Glock since they have such a great reputation.

I have a S&W .357 model 19-4 I like, but I want a Glock 19 9mm too.

Mr. P
09-12-2008, 11:30 AM

I loved the M-16!!! Then after flight school pilots were issued S&W .38s LOL I don't remember the model but it was a revolver, what a joke (for a combat weapon)!!!

Gadget (fmr Marine)
09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
I loved the M-16!!! Then after flight school pilots were issued S&W .38s LOL I don't remember the model but it was a revolver, what a joke (for a combat weapon)!!!

Kinda like the 4th grades's spitballers......

crin63
09-12-2008, 11:57 AM

I love my Kimber .45 I have the TLE II. I guess thats the SWAT model. I bought it because I got a great deal on it and Kimber's reputation. I got most most of my guns at 40%-50% of value.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
09-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I love my Kimber .45 I have the TLE II. I guess thats the SWAT model. I bought it because I got a great deal on it and Kimber's reputation. I got most most of my guns at 40%-50% of value.

CPD II for me.....rub it in....I didn't get any special deal.....but I got the gun I wanted.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/custom_cdp_2.jpg

crin63
09-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I was talking to Marine Corporal this morning that's on his way back to Iraq for the 3rd time.

I didn't realize that The Corp was still shooting M-16's and SAW's from the early 80's and early 90's. He said he was lucky his SAW was brand new, still packed in grease.

I guess as a civilian I just figured equipment that old would be taken out of service. I have to say I was pretty surprised.

crin63
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
CPD II for me.....rub it in....I didn't get any special deal.....but I got the gun I wanted.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/custom_cdp_2.jpg

That's just plain sexy if you ask me.

Here's mine

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/customtrlrl.jpg

Gadget (fmr Marine)
09-12-2008, 12:20 PM
They are very nice....good lines, well balanced, and fire very well....and on target, I must admit.

crin63
09-12-2008, 12:26 PM
They are very nice....good lines, well balanced, and fire very well....and on target, I must admit.

I've got pretty big hands so I think I'm gonna put a set of Hogue combat grips on it. They seem to make allot of difference in comfort for me.

Mr. P
09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Hey, LETS all go shooting! :dance: