PDA

View Full Version : Zogby Poll: Voters Believe Media Bias is Very Real

stephanie
03-14-2007, 03:35 PM
:eek:
Institute for Politics, Democracy, and the Internet/Zogby Poll shows American voters are skeptical political motivation may be behind blogs run by mainstream news organizations

The vast majority of American voters believe media bias is alive and well – 83% of likely voters said the media is biased in one direction or another, while just 11% believe the media doesn’t take political sides, a recent IPDI/Zogby Interactive poll shows.

The Institute for Politics, Democracy, and the Internet is based at George Washington University in Washington D.C.

Nearly two-thirds of those online respondents who detected bias in the media (64%) said the media leans left, while slightly more than a quarter of respondents (28%) said they see a conservative bias on their TV sets and in their column inches. The survey, which focuses on perceptions of the “old” and “new” media, will be released today at the PoliticsOnline Conference 2007 at GWU. It is also featured in the March issue of Zogby’s Real America newsletter, now available on www.zogby.com.

Fritz Wenzel, Zogby’s Director of Communications, will also discuss with conference–goers the results of the first interactive survey to include video clips from presidential candidates. The video poll is the latest step in Zogby’s cutting–edge leadership in online polling, and revealed important respondent sentiment toward the candidates after viewing clips online of recent speeches and interviews. Zogby International’s Jonathan Zogby, Director of Domestic Business Development, has also published an article in the conference magazine about the emergence of Internet polling as an important survey research tool, particularly in light of the increasing difficulty of telephone polling.

The IPDI PoliticsOnline conference is one of the most important annual national conferences focusing on how the Internet has affected American politics.

While 97% of Republicans surveyed said the media are liberal, two-thirds of political independents feel the same, but fewer than one in four independents (23%) said they saw a conservative bias. Democrats, while much more likely to perceive a conservative bias than other groups, were not nearly as sure the media was against them as were the Republicans. While Republicans were unified in their perception of a left-wing media, just two-thirds of Democrats were certain the media skewed right – and 17% said the bias favored the left.

The Zogby Interactive survey of 1,757 likely voters nationwide was conducted Feb. 20-26, 2007, and has a margin of error of +/- 2.4 percentage points.

As the influence of blogs has risen, mainstream news organizations have attempted to get in on the action by creating their own blogs to counter those run by private citizens and those not in the news business. But American voters remain skeptical of major news outlets diving in to the blog pool – 26% speculated that the reason news organizations are placing blogs on their Web sites is that “blogs give news organizations a chance to promote a political agenda they could not promote in their regular broadcasts, cablecasts, or publications.”

This month’s Zogby’s Real America newsletter also explores Americans’ divided views on how to fix the U.S. health care system – how the nation’s health care compares to other counties, whether Americans should seek a radical change and what type of health care system would benefit the most Americans.

For detailed methodological statement on this survey, please visit:
www.zogby.com
http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1262

Gaffer
03-14-2007, 06:05 PM
This supports what I have said for years. THE MEDIA IS BIAS!

Nukeman
03-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Gee who would have thought the media would be biased......:laugh2: :laugh2:

krisy
03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm glad to see that people aren't believing everything they hear in the news anymore. They really have become a joke.

truthmatters
09-24-2007, 04:10 PM
More polls people choose to like

jimnyc
09-24-2007, 04:14 PM

Enjoying dredging up old threads? Still doesn't change the fact that .00003 percent sampling doesn't even come remotely close to a true gauge of 300 million people. People will always post polls that they think supports what they want to say, but it simply doesn't give a true representation of the entire population. No matter what you dredge up can change the facts.

truthmatters
09-24-2007, 04:18 PM
But it does and that is why polling companies make money and people pay for their services.

The information has proven useful and reliable in all fields by their willingness to pay for it and use it to make money with.

09-24-2007, 04:56 PM
This poll is stating the obvious.

The fact is the media would still be biased even if everyone didnt believe it. Facts dont change just because you believe something or dont.

retiredman
09-24-2007, 05:25 PM
funny to see the same posters drooling all over this poll that were saying how meaningless polls were in the other thread.

hypocrites.

THIS poll PROVES something, but the poll that says that a majority of Iraqis want us out and six out of ten of them approve of attacking us...that poll isn't worth the paper it is written on?

:lol:

jimnyc
09-24-2007, 05:41 PM
funny to see the same posters drooling all over this poll that were saying how meaningless polls were in the other thread.

hypocrites.

THIS poll PROVES something, but the poll that says that a majority of Iraqis want us out and six out of ten of them approve of attacking us...that poll isn't worth the paper it is written on?

I know you aren't calling me a hypocrite. I've always had my stance about polls and find almost all of them to be worthless. Have I ever posted one before? Yup! Its funny sometimes, but even I can't dispute the facts.

If the poll you mention about the Iraqi's is a sampling of .00003 of their nation, then it would be worthless too.

retiredman
09-24-2007, 05:48 PM
jim...I was, of course, not calling you a hypocrite...poster #3 would get that distinction.

And I must disagree....if polls are scientifically designed and their controls are precise, even very small relative sample sizes can produce accurate results.

09-24-2007, 06:39 PM

hypocrites.

exactly my point. The poll is meaningless. The media is biased whether people believe it or not.

BoogyMan
09-24-2007, 06:41 PM

How about making a refutation of the material presented truthmatters? I would love to hear how you plan to do so and will gladly debate your points.

typomaniac
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
What did the poll say about how many Americans want to see more boobs?
:boobies:

truthmatters
09-24-2007, 06:50 PM
How about making a refutation of the material presented truthmatters? I would love to hear how you plan to do so and will gladly debate your points.

The only reason I brought this thread back up is to point out people believed in polls when they liked what they said.

I dont have really anything to say about a poll which is 6 months old ad meaningless now.