PDA

View Full Version : Palin Popularity Trickles Down For GOP

red states rule
09-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Gov Palin could make this a November to Remember

Palin Popularity Trickles Down For GOP
By Reid Wilson

John McCain successfully closed the gap with Barack Obama when he chose Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate. But beyond the presidential contest, Republican leaders in Congress see a shifted landscape for their candidates, and for the first time in months, they have reason to be cautiously optimistic about the November elections.

"In the last three or four weeks, Democrats thought, especially after their convention, they thought things were all moving in their direction," National Republican Senatorial Committee chair John Ensign told Real Clear Politics. "The momentum has totally changed, and it's on our side."

While the Republican brand remains unpopular with voters around the nation, polls have shown a generic Republican congressional candidate creeping to within striking distance of the generic Democratic candidate. That gap has closed, Republicans say, because Palin has given their party inroads with voters who would otherwise have been firmly in the Democratic camp.

"She's a pretty interesting character. I think Americans like that story, they like 'Mr. Smith Comes to Washington,'" said Tom Cole, who chairs the National Republican Congressional Committee. "If you're the Republicans, you need to make the public take a second look at you this cycle."

Her gender is no small part of her appeal. "Governor Palin has energized our base, not only energized our base but made a lot of women take a second look at the Republican Party," Ensign said. But gender isn't everything, he continued: "She's a reformer. That she's a woman is a bonus."

In the weeks since Palin was picked and as the Republican base has tuned in, several of Ensign's Senate GOP colleagues have shown improvement. A recent poll conducted for the NRSC showed New Hampshire Senator John Sununu trailing his Democratic opponent by just two points, after surveys have showed Sununu behind by double digits. Another poll had Colorado Democratic Rep. Mark Udall leading ex-Rep. Bob Schaffer, a Republican, by a single point, while earlier surveys showed Udall with a bigger lead. And in Palin's home state, Senator Ted Stevens even boasted his first lead of the cycle over Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich; Stevens leads by two points in another NRSC poll.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/09/palin_popularity_trickles_down.html

Immanuel
09-12-2008, 09:16 AM
You know, for someone who six month's ago said he wouldn't vote for McCain, you seem to be pretty pro-McCain now. I hope I don't follow that path. :poke:

Immie

red states rule
09-12-2008, 09:18 AM
You know, for someone who six month's ago said he wouldn't vote for McCain, you seem to be pretty pro-McCain now. I hope I don't follow that path. :poke:

Immie

I do not support McCain

I do support Gov Palin

PostmodernProphet
09-12-2008, 09:40 AM

Immie

We're not giving up hope for you yet.....

red states rule
09-12-2008, 09:45 AM

There is no way I can support McCain. So can can give up now and save time

Immanuel
09-12-2008, 09:50 AM

Please... just keep me in your prayers. :D That is all I can ask.

Immie

PostmodernProphet
09-12-2008, 12:32 PM
There is no way I can support McCain. So can can give up now and save time
as long as you vote yes for Palin and her running mate, I will be happy.....