PDA

View Full Version : Free File Hosting!

jimnyc
03-14-2007, 03:54 PM
To make a long story short, I have a VPS server that was used for multiple domains. I moved my domains to a more robust server and this one is paid off for the next 8 months, and no refund is possible. I'm going to use the best of it within the means of the TOS.

So I started a file hosting service, for LEGAL files. 25MB limit, files are monitored to make sure I don't get sued!

Easy way to upload files, it gives you a link in return you can use to post or send in an email, making it easy for sharing of files.

Enjoy, if you want to anyway!

http://www.e-zfiles.com

Mr. P
03-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Is this like a place I could store files, while say, I change a HD and then download them to the new drive?

jimnyc
03-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Is this like a place I could store files, while say, I change a HD and then download them to the new drive?

Sure, so long as the files are less than 25MB each. And you don't get a personal space, so make sure you keep a text file or something similar with the returned links you get after upload of each file is completed.

glockmail
03-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Related issue:

I've been using a file back up service for the past two months, costs $5/ month for unlimited personal (I think there is a 20GB guideline). As far as I can tell, this is similar to services that until recently costs several hundred bucks/ month.

What happened recently that made offsite file storage so affordable?

jimnyc
03-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Related issue:

I've been using a file back up service for the past two months, costs $5/ month for unlimited personal (I think there is a 20GB guideline). As far as I can tell, this is similar to services that until recently costs several hundred bucks/ month.

What happened recently that made offsite file storage so affordable?

A couple of reasons actually. Hard drive space always was the cheapest component, and still is. Most places have terabytes of storage available for the consumers, but they also expect that the average consumer will never use what's alloted to them. Most webhosting companies will offer you, lets say, 50gig of storage and 300gig of bandwidth. If you fill up your 50gig and continually use the bandwidth, you'll find your account terminated! That's the truth, the only way to get full use of space and bandwidth is with a dedicated server that you control yourself.

Gmail accounts are now up to about 2.8gig per account! They boldly show this, but like I said, they also know that 99% of average email users will likely never go beyond 100-500meg tops.

glockmail
03-14-2007, 07:19 PM
A couple of reasons actually. Hard drive space always was the cheapest component, and still is. Most places have terabytes of storage available for the consumers, but they also expect that the average consumer will never use what's alloted to them. Most webhosting companies will offer you, lets say, 50gig of storage and 300gig of bandwidth. If you fill up your 50gig and continually use the bandwidth, you'll find your account terminated! That's the truth, the only way to get full use of space and bandwidth is with a dedicated server that you control yourself.

Gmail accounts are now up to about 2.8gig per account! They boldly show this, but like I said, they also know that 99% of average email users will likely never go beyond 100-500meg tops.

I've been backing up 15G for a while, and it checks for changes and revised daily. I recently added another 10G or so, so we'll see if they cut my dick off.