PDA

View Full Version : Ike Is Looking Very Bad

Kathianne
09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
From the weathernerd; lots of links:

http://pajamasmedia.com/weathernerd/

9:27 PM EDT: This is bad:

Any hopes for Galveston and communities along Galveston Bay to avoid a catastrophic storm surge may well be over.

The latest model runs offer those areas little comfort. Far from bringing Ike inland to the east of Galveston Island, both the HWRF and GFDL models bring the hurricane over the island’s west end.

… [A] landfall on Galveston’s west end should bring enough surge to likely overtop the city’s seawall. I expect it to all but destroy most non-concrete structures not behind the seawall.

The storm surge at Galveston’s Pier 21 has already reached 8.5 feet this evening, and we’re still probably six hours from landfall, and nearly seven hours from high tide.

The storm surge will reach maximum levels, well above 20 feet most likely, along the coast of Galveston Bay. This will especially be the case on the west and north sides of the bay.

This landfall location also increases the likelihood of hurricane-force winds across more, if not most, of Harris County.

It also increases the likelihood that these people are going to die.

5stringJeff
09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
I've been to Galveston Island a few times. I wonder how much of it will be left. :(

Kathianne
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I've been to Galveston Island a few times. I wonder how much of it will be left. :(

I hope Brendan is wrong, but he called Gustav perfectly, Katrina too.

emmett
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
From the weathernerd; lots of links:

http://pajamasmedia.com/weathernerd/

Yeah.....I sure hope the population is zero now cause it damn sure will be after that thing goes through there. Galveston looks to be the target!

Immanuel
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
"Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowin'"

Now, anyone still there... get the heck out of there! And may God protect you and your homes.

Immie

Gaffer
09-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Anyone still there is not getting out now. They better be in a high place that's able to withstand 100 mph winds for ten to 12 hours.