PDA

View Full Version : freaking gas prices!!!

dan
09-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Apparently, the refinery that this area of the country gets its gas from is directly in line to be wrecked by Ike. Since last night, gas prices have risen from around $3.30 to $4.49 with further rises being reported for the near future. And, oh, also, most of the gas stations are completely out of gas.

My question is, why is nobody in the news talking about this? I suppose that's a bit selfish, the hurricane should be the main focus of course, but Fox News could've taken a few seconds out of their 30 minutes of talking about the doctoring of Palin's ABC interview to at least mention it.

My aunt's down from NJ, and she talked to some people up there who said prices haven't changed a bit. Is this affecting anyone else? Mr. P, I know you've got to be seeing it. Jackass, what about you?

manu1959
09-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Apparently, the refinery that this area of the country gets its gas from is directly in line to be wrecked by Ike. Since last night, gas prices have risen from around $3.30 to $4.49 with further rises being reported for the near future. And, oh, also, most of the gas stations are completely out of gas.

My question is, why is nobody in the news talking about this? I suppose that's a bit selfish, the hurricane should be the main focus of course, but Fox News could've taken a few seconds out of their 30 minutes of talking about the doctoring of Palin's ABC interview to at least mention it.

My aunt's down from NJ, and she talked to some people up there who said prices haven't changed a bit. Is this affecting anyone else? Mr. P, I know you've got to be seeing it. Jackass, what about you?

it is against the law to gouge.....take pictures and turn them in....

Mr. P
09-12-2008, 11:59 PM

Ok around here so far..$3.68..I saw a news report on prices in Atlanta one station went as high as $5.25 today. One guy sat in line at another station and the price went up .40 cents before he ever got to the pump.

The regional distributors are saying there is no problem with supply at this time. They say we have a 20 day supply at current prices.

Prices varied so much I have to pin the blame on the stations above anyone else. Heck the Governor even stepped in and put a stop to the excess increases.

dan
09-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Ok around here so far..$3.68..I saw a news report on prices in Atlanta one station went as high as $5.25 today. One guy sat in line at another station and the price went up .40 cents before he ever got to the pump.

The regional distributors are saying there is no problem with supply at this time. They say we have a 20 day supply at current prices.

Prices varied so much I have to pin the blame on the stations above anyone else. Heck the Governor even stepped in and put a stop to the excess increases.

Allow me to be extremely cynical for a second: a few people with too much time figured out that there is a refinery near where the hurricane was/is headed, they spread the word, a lot of really dumb people panicked and started buying gas in mass quantities (seriously, I fueled up today and the old mofo in front of me was filling up five gas cans), local vendors and/or regional higher-ups noticed the sudden rise in gas sales, pinpoint the reason, and decide to run with it and milk the people for as much as they can.

I doubt it actually went down like that, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it did.

Gaffer
09-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Allow me to be extremely cynical for a second: a few people with too much time figured out that there is a refinery near where the hurricane was/is headed, they spread the word, a lot of really dumb people panicked and started buying gas in mass quantities (seriously, I fueled up today and the old mofo in front of me was filling up five gas cans), local vendors and/or regional higher-ups noticed the sudden rise in gas sales, pinpoint the reason, and decide to run with it and milk the people for as much as they can.

I doubt it actually went down like that, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it did.

Dan I think you dead on with that presumption. Sounds like a lot of gouging is going on in your area.

KitchenKitten99
09-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Dan, I think you're right, though. Gas prices here are about $3.35-$3.50 and haven't really moved much, up or down, for about two weeks.

jackass
09-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Dan,
I havent checked the prices. I filled up before it went down. As far as I know, an EMAIL went out about the hurricane. They were lined up at Coscto for miles!!

emmett
09-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Actually the problem is we didn't drill in ANWR 10 years ago like we should have and that is why gas is not 1.76 a gallon right now like ot should be! Simple as that!

dan
09-13-2008, 11:54 PM
Actually the problem is we didn't drill in ANWR 10 years ago like we should have and that is why gas is not 1.76 a gallon right now like ot should be! Simple as that!

Sorry for not including you among the people I asked about this, Emmett, how are prices your way?

We went to my aunt's house today, which is about an hour away, so we got to pass many gas stations. The majority are in the $3.99 range, but without fail, every single Exxon we saw was at least $4.29, and the highest one we saw was $4.59!!!! And this is for regular. We did spot one guy taking a photo of the prices, so hopefully something comes of it, I'm at my parents' place for the weekend, so I don't have access to my camera, but this is some serious bullshit!!! I'm going to bed to dream of a magical car that only runs on the blood of greedy oil tycoons! though I think in this instance, it wasn't necessarily the CEO fat cats making this decision, but hey, they're still going to make more money from this shit than I'll make in my whole life, so eff em!

Kathianne
09-14-2008, 10:32 AM
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2008/09/early_good_news.shtml

Early good news on the condition of refineries?

Reuters: Emergency officials said Texas refineries appeared to have escaped major flooding and a Reuters witness on Saturday found no visible signs of flooding or significant damage at eight refineries around Houston and Texas City -- a sign production could rebound quickly once power is restored.

Reuters: About 25 percent of U.S. crude oil production is shut down after back-to-back hurricanes churned through the Gulf of Mexico this month, triggering the biggest disruption to nationwide energy supplies in at least three years. (Reporting by Chris Baltimore; Editing by Bill Trott)

HOUSTON, Sept 14 (Reuters) - The U.S. Energy Department will send 309,000 barrels of crude oil from the nation's emergency stockpile to two refineries that are running short of supply due to hurricanes Gustav and Ike, the department said on Sunday.

Mr. P
09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Sorry for not including you among the people I asked about this, Emmett, how are prices your way?

We went to my aunt's house today, which is about an hour away, so we got to pass many gas stations. The majority are in the $3.99 range, but without fail, every single Exxon we saw was at least $4.29, and the highest one we saw was $4.59!!!! And this is for regular. We did spot one guy taking a photo of the prices, so hopefully something comes of it, I'm at my parents' place for the weekend, so I don't have access to my camera, but this is some serious bullshit!!! I'm going to bed to dream of a magical car that only runs on the blood of greedy oil tycoons! though I think in this instance, it wasn't necessarily the CEO fat cats making this decision, but hey, they're still going to make more money from this shit than I'll make in my whole life, so eff em!

$4.09 around here last night...I just heard the average in Atlanta today is $4.10.

I have a full tank that will last a month since I work from home...and...drive a beetle.

jackass
09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Checked prices at work today....$3.59 a gallon. Not much of a change.

dan
09-14-2008, 01:01 PM
$4.09 around here last night...I just heard the average in Atlanta today is $4.10.

I have a full tank that will last a month since I work from home...and...drive a beetle.

Never took you for a hippie! :D

Mr. P
09-14-2008, 01:09 PM

LOL...Believe me, I'm NOT! I just ended up with it by default. I'd NEVER buy one.

emmett
09-14-2008, 01:28 PM

What is wrong with being a hippe? Could you elaborate a little on what a hippe is?

Psychoblues
09-14-2008, 01:42 PM
emmie, a hippie? Not hardly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

dan
09-14-2008, 07:43 PM
What is wrong with being a hippe? Could you elaborate a little on what a hippe is?

I was just joking. I've been called a hippie by people for real, honestly. But, when I think 'hippie', the immediate thing that comes to mind are the sunburnt people wearing tye-die who don't shower and sell grilled cheese sandwiches at jamband shows. I don't, however, associate the original "hippies" from the 60's, the ones who were actually trying to change things, to be in the same category as those others. They're two totally different countercultures, to me anyway.

Long story short: nothing's wrong with hippies. :)

*Forgot to add, I don't necessarily think that all hippies are beetle drivers and vice-versa, but speaking strictly on the old-school beetles, the Herbie-style beetles, that stereotype is pretty much constantly proving itself true to me.

Abbey Marie
09-14-2008, 08:19 PM
In my experience, owning a Beetle does not necessarily mean you are a hippie.

However, if you own one of those old VW vans, it's a lock.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg/250px-Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg

Psychoblues
09-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Abby, I used to own and drive a '76 VW Westfalia Camper Van!!!!!!!!!! I, like emmie, am far from being a hippie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my experience, owning a Beetle does not necessarily mean you are a hippie.

However, if you own one of those old VW vans, it's a lock.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg/250px-Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg

That's a nice lookin' rig in that photo, however!!!!!!!!! It must be an early 60's or a conversion model as it still has the short pop up roof.

Here's to Camping in a VW!!!!!!!!!!!!! 26 - 28 mpg is still good for a vehicle like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::salute: