PDA

View Full Version : NYT Calls On Rangel To Step Down From Ways & Means

Kathianne
09-15-2008, 11:35 AM
I suppose this is what they see as the 'high road'?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/opinion/15mon1.html?ex=1379217600&en=cc2aafeb0893d738&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

September 15, 2008
Editorial
Chairman Rangel

Mounting embarrassment for taxpayers and Congress makes it imperative that Representative Charles Rangel step aside as chairman of the Ways and Means Committee while his ethical problems are investigated.

This recommendation does not come easily, considering the New York Democrat’s four decades of service in Congress. But Mr. Rangel himself has felt obliged to request three separate House ethics inquiries of his behavior. While denying serious improprieties, Mr. Rangel concedes that he has not lived up to the “higher standard” expected of members of Congress.

His latest admission is that as chief of Congress’s tax-writing committee, he was “irresponsible” in failing to disclose $75,000 in rental income and pay federal and state taxes on a villa in the Dominican Republic.

His temporary yielding of the gavel is an urgent necessity for a Democratic Congress elected two years ago on promises of an ethical housecleaning. The villa dealings only add momentum to the investigations of two earlier controversies — Mr. Rangel’s favored treatment in occupying four rent-stabilized apartments in Manhattan, and his improper use of official letterheads to solicit support from charities and corporations for an academic center to memorialize his career in public service.

Mr. Rangel has hurt his case with clumsy, combative pleas of ignorance of the facts and law involving his Dominican villa. “We do make errors, even though we consider ourselves experts in terms of tax policy for the nation,” said the lawmaker, who has three decades’ experience on Ways and Means....

hjmick
09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
His ego will not allow that to happen. Pelosi will not allow that to happen. I'd be surprised if an indictment would cause it to happen.

stephanie
09-15-2008, 11:41 AM
I hear all the Liberal Democrats calling for him to step down...

oh wait...no I don't..

Immanuel
09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
My first thought was that he should not step down over something as small as this. But then, after realizing that Ways and Means controls taxing issues, I think it would be a good idea from him to step down at least as chairman but probably from the committee itself to avoid any accusation of impropriety. If he is a member of that committee and the investigation shows that it was an innocent mistake, no one will believe the investigators and he will be accused of interfering with the investigation or threatening the investigators.

There is a potential for conflict of interest in this matter and he needs to eliminate all chances of it appearing that he interfered. Especially if he is innocent.

Immie

hjmick
09-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Looks as though I may have been wrong about Pelosi. Word is she is pushing Rangel to give up his chairmanship.

theHawk
09-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Another slackjawed tax and spend liberal who does everything he can from paying taxes himself.

red states rule
09-16-2008, 05:38 PM
So let me get this straight. The Dem who writes the tax laws, demands we pay more in taxes - is caught cheating on his taxes and nothing happens to him?

I must say, San Fran Nan is really doing a great job of "draining the swamp" of corruption in DC

hjmick
09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Pelosi will do nothing to upset the balance of power. That is far more important to her and her party than ethics. Better to live with the double standard and suffer the slings and arrows of criticism than relinquish control.

red states rule
09-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Pelosi will do nothing to upset the balance of power. That is far more important to her and her party than ethics. Better to live with the double standard and suffer the slings and arrows of criticism than relinquish control.

Hjmick lets be fair here

If not for their double standards, Dems would have no standards at all