PDA

View Full Version : Palin Hits Back: Trooper Gate Likely Suffers Fatal Blow

-Cp
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
http://patriotroom.com/?p=2073

Yeah, I know the worst kept secret in America is that the Governor will get a nasty October surprise when her political enemies in Alaska release their findings a week before the election, finding that she abused her power in firing a guy who would not fire a rogue ex-brother-in-law trooper. This thing has always looked to me like a bullshit case by Palin’s opponents who can literally find nothing else to criticize her about.

But it looks like Palin has a September surprise for her opponents. The Governor released some internal documents showing that the the fired supervisor was not only nightmarishly insubordinate and needed firing, he also needed a good beating. From Anchorage Daily News via Hot Air.

Walt Monegan lost his job as public safety director because he resisted Gov. Sarah Palin’s budget policies and showed “outright insubordination,” say papers the governor’s lawyer filed Monday with the state Personnel Board.

It was Palin’s strongest effort yet to snuff allegations she sacked Monegan because he refused to fire a state trooper involved in an ugly divorce with the governor’s sister.

Along with the papers filed Monday were a slew of e-mails from the governor’s office purporting to show Monegan’s “rogue mentality” as a member of Palin’s Cabinet.

In one message, the governor’s budget director, Karen Rehfeld, wrote that she was “stunned and amazed” that Monegan appeared to be working with a powerful state legislator, Anchorage Republican Rep. Kevin Meyer, to seek funding for a project Palin previously had vetoed. . . .

The papers filed Monday accuse Monegan, during his time as public safety commissioner, of “an escalating pattern of insubordination on budget and other key policy issues.”

THE LAST STRAW

In pursuing his own goals for the Department of Public Safety, Monegan “sought out the governor’s political opponents behind her back,” Van Flein wrote, and in December 2007 he “unilaterally orchestrated a press conference” on his budget with state Sen. Hollis French, an Anchorage Democrat who is leading the Troopergate investigation.

On May 7 of this year, Randy Ruaro, the governor’s deputy chief of staff, complained in an e-mail to Rehfeld, the budget director, that Monegan’s department “is constantly going off the reservation.”

“The last straw” leading up to Monegan’s firing, Van Flein wrote, was Monegan’s planned trip to Washington, D.C., to seek funding for a new, multimillion-dollar sexual assault initiative the governor hadn’t yet approved.

She fired him . . . for that? As much as I respect and admire Sarah Palin, I have to criticize her for this. This guy was a government employee, who was there to help the people of Alaska. He had rights and a family just like everyone else. My beef is that she didn’t call a press conference after the first instance of misconduct, drag this SOB out into the sunlight, publicly tear him a brand new asshole for gross and unconscionable insubordination, fire him on the spot, and then turn to the camera and tell her fellow Alaskans that that is how you fight corruption and reform government.

The McCain/Palin ticket ought to turn this right around and use it as a shining example of how Sarah Palin will bring change to Washington. Entrenched, do nothing bureaucrats who refuse to do their job will be fired and new civic-minded team players will be brought in to make our government work for Americans.