PDA

View Full Version : The High Cost Of Racial Hype

red states rule
09-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Another grand slam from Thomas Sowell. I doubt if Obama will talk about the points Mr Sowell brings up in the article

The High Cost of Racial Hype
by Thomas Sowell

Sometimes you don't know when you are lucky. Certainly I did not consider myself lucky when I left home at seventeen and discovered the hard way that there was no great demand for a black teenage dropout with no experience and no skill.

In retrospect, however, those days of struggling to earn money to pay the room rent and buy food left little time or energy for navel-gazing over things like "identity."

All this came back to me recently when I saw a font-page story about middle-class blacks worrying about their racial identity. There, on the front page of the Wall Street Journal, was a picture of a black teenager whose mother was fixing his bow tie as he was getting dressed in a tuxedo, in preparation for a cotillion.

I never had the problem of wearing a tuxedo to a cotillion, so it was hard for me to empathize with their angst.

When I was that kid's age, I had real problems that taught me real lessons to remember when times got better, not navel-gazing problems that can distract you from reality for a lifetime.

Apparently there are middle-class blacks who spend a lot of time and energy worrying about losing their roots and losing touch with their black brothers back in the 'hood.

for the complete article

http://townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2008/09/17/the_high_cost_of_racial_hype?page=1