PDA

View Full Version : Church: why go?

Yurt
09-19-2008, 05:59 PM
What is the point of going to church? I often am bored with the sermon, and want to be out doing something else. so, i have not been to church in years. my wife would like to start again. in fact, she asked me today. i don't want to go, she does.

IMO

churches are more clickesh and snobbish than the majority of folks i know who do not attend church at all or sometimes. and before you jump out of your chairs and say -- not my church -- i have a long church history with my church and have been all over with this church and this church prides itself on having open arms. is your church so different? or is it just church.

crin63
09-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Heres a few scriptural reasons. If you want the verses I will look them up.

To sit under the preaching. To exhort one another. To rebuke one another as necessary. To bear each others burdens. To partake in the communion of the Lords supper. Because Christians are to prefer each other over anyone else.

Personal reasons.

As for me, I want to be and need to be at church every time the doors are open, which is 4 services a week. I'm usually at each service for 3+ hours. It's always a breath of fresh air for me. I want to see my brothers and sisters in Christ, they are my family. I have many duties at church that are my great pleasure to perform. It gives me the opportunity to serve God in a more effective way than I am able to do when I'm not at church.

Judging by most people that visit my church we are the friendliest church that most people have ever been too. The preaching is very intellectual. If you engage your mind you cannot possibly be bored with the preaching in my church.

If you are interested Yurt I will give you our website address and you can read a few sermons for yourself and see what I am talking about.

Yurt
09-19-2008, 06:52 PM
thank you for answering, i do appreciate it.

=crin63;298760]Heres a few scriptural reasons. If you want the verses I will look them up.

To sit under the preaching. To exhort one another. To rebuke one another as necessary. To bear each others burdens. To partake in the communion of the Lords supper. Because Christians are to prefer each other over anyone else.

huh? to sit under the preaching? to exhort? to rebuke? to bear burdens? I do not have to attend church to do any of those things. communion, maybe, but communion does not have to be done by the church. or do you have a verse that says it must?

Personal reasons.

As for me, I want to be and need to be at church every time the doors are open, which is 4 services a week. I'm usually at each service for 3+ hours. It's always a breath of fresh air for me. I want to see my brothers and sisters in Christ, they are my family. I have many duties at church that are my great pleasure to perform. It gives me the opportunity to serve God in a more effective way than I am able to do when I'm not at church.

Judging by most people that visit my church we are the friendliest church that most people have ever been too. The preaching is very intellectual. If you engage your mind you cannot possibly be bored with the preaching in my church.

If you are interested Yurt I will give you our website address and you can read a few sermons for yourself and see what I am talking about.

i have been to "interesting" churches. in fact, in order to complete a bible class in undergrad, i had to attend 3 other churches and describe them and essentially report my experience.

what is that, reporting other churches? i never understood the lesson i was supposed tp receive. it is not solely about going to a church that is "interesting." if i had a TV i am sure i could flip a channel and find one.

why go to church?

what if i never went to church? am i going to hell?

Yurt
09-19-2008, 07:10 PM
what about the church of scientology...should i attend that church? what about the mormon church?

darin
09-19-2008, 07:52 PM
have itunes?

-Cp
09-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Heres a few scriptural reasons. If you want the verses I will look them up.

Sorry - the scripture doesn't tell us anywhere to gather into a certain building at a certain time on a certain day of the week.

Christ said he'll build his church out of "living stones" - i.e. people.. Buildings and the fancy crap that goes along with them are a serious waste of money.

Personal reasons.

If you can be objective enough to put down the kook-aid (which I drank too for far too much of my life - would be more than happy to tell you about it sometime) - read this:

http://www.lifestream.org/LSBL.May01.html

hjmick
09-19-2008, 08:27 PM
As you all know, I am not a religious man, hell, I'm a borderline Atheist, but I have always thought that church attendance is not necessary for one to be close to God (I am a recovering Catholic, 30 years clean :D). More than anything, I have viewed church attendance as a means of organized pocket picking. Why church? Why not, if you are a person of faith, worship outdoors? Among the very things your faith professes God created. It strikes me that, if there is a God, you would be closer to him there than in a structure built by man.

But hey, to each his own I say. I respect your choice to worship however you choose. Just offering my own musings.

09-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I go to Church because God wants me to. Its someplace where His children can gather to learn of Him. We can lift each other up. Help others grow and succeed in life and in return get that assistance in our own life. Its someplace we can partake of the body and blood of the Lord and be united with Him.

Mr. P
09-19-2008, 10:24 PM
As you all know, I am not a religious man, hell, I'm a borderline Atheist, but I have always thought that church attendance is not necessary for one to be close to God (I am a recovering Catholic, 30 years clean :D). More than anything, I have viewed church attendance as a means of organized pocket picking. Why church? Why not, if you are a person of faith, worship outdoors? Among the very things your faith professes God created. It strikes me that, if there is a God, you would be closer to him there than in a structure built by man.

But hey, to each his own I say. I respect your choice to worship however you choose. Just offering my own musings.

I'm reporting you for coping off my paper! :slap:

I feel closer to whatever greater being is out there anytime I'm outdoors, nature is my church...it's inescapable. I feel no need for formal brick an mortar church attendance. For me church has always been a place of social politics full of fake people just playing the game. I don't need that and I sure don't need a group/church to support my beliefs.

I was baptized Catholic, did the the early brain washing stuff too.

Abbey Marie
09-20-2008, 12:36 AM
-Cp, why do you think Jesus got angry with the money changers in the temple? I say it was because he did not want the place where He and others went to worship God to be defiled.

Jesus' justified His action by quoting Scripture. The temple should have been a house of prayer (Isa. 56:7), but they had made it a den of thieves (Jer. 7:11) or a house of merchandise (John 2:16). When Jesus had cleansed the temple the first time, it was said that this proved His zeal for God's house (John 2:17).

He also preached/taught in the temple:

Luke 20:1(New American Standard Bible)
On one of the days while He was teaching the people in the temple and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes with the elders confronted Him...

Should we follow His example and go as well? It's an interesting question.

-Cp
09-20-2008, 02:20 AM
-Cp, why do you think Jesus got angry with the money changers in the temple? I say it was because he did not want the place where He and others went to worship God to be defiled.

He also preached/taught in the temple:

Should we follow His example and go as well? It's an interesting question.

Christ got mad at the changers cause their hearts were messed up - there's no such a thing as "holy ground" or some sanctimonious building. All that stuff is Old Testament - we live under Grace and more importantly we live with Christ's spirit within is.

He taught in the temple and lots of places uh.. ever hear of the "Sermon on the mount"? Or how about when he fed the 5000? He taught where ever the people are at - I cannot see the modern "church" as so many christians think about its current context of fullfilling that same example. They do the "holy huddles" on Sundays, live like crap during the week then go back to a building called a church to help themselves feel better.

It's mainly crap IMO - I was raised in "church"... (A/G - shudder)...

What does it say in the NT? "Know ye not that YOU are the temple?" - that's Christians.

Christ came to fulfill the law which started a new era in Christianity. In fact, it was Constantine who kicked folks out of their homes and into buildings.. .

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvJR_SIiPl4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hvJR_SIiPl4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PostmodernProphet
09-20-2008, 08:16 AM
you do things WITH people because it's more enjoyable than doing it alone.....if your personal experience isn't more enjoyable, then you are either doing it with the wrong people or you are doing the wrong things.....

crin63
09-20-2008, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE]huh? to sit under the preaching? to exhort? to rebuke? to bear burdens? I do not have to attend church to do any of those things. communion, maybe, but communion does not have to be done by the church. or do you have a verse that says it must?

I mean no offense when I ask. Are you looking for a reason to attend or reasons not to attend? If you are looking for reasons not to attend, then nothing I say is going to make any difference because you have already made up your mind and now you are justifying your decision IMHO.

Gathering together for worship was common place in the Bible. It has nothing to do with a building or any nonsense like holy ground. A body of believers is the church and they did gather together in homes, at the synagogues and other designated locations, but they gathered together.

When the Apostle Paul wrote about partaking of communion he wrote it to Christians at the church in Corinth. It’s a time for Christians to gather together and remember Jesus death.

1Co 11:18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
1Co 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Many churches and people have different opinions of communion. My church practices closed communion, where only church members partake of communion together an hour before our evening service once a month.

Regarding preaching, here are just a few of the more than 100 scriptures that mention preach, preached or preaching in the New Testament alone. When something is mentioned that many times in the Bible one should take notice. A few of these point out the need to be where the preaching is.

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Act 8:26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
Act 8:27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
Act 8:28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
Act 8:29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
Act 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
Act 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

crin63
09-20-2008, 05:13 PM
what about the church of scientology...should i attend that church? what about the mormon church?

Scientology was created by a science fiction writer, enough said there.
Mormonism is a relatively new religion and is based on books in addition to the Bible, stay away from that one.

I would go with the faith once delivered to the saints of old.

Find a good Independent Baptist Church. ;)

crin63
09-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Sorry - the scripture doesn't tell us anywhere to gather into a certain building at a certain time on a certain day of the week.

Christ said he'll build his church out of "living stones" - i.e. people.. Buildings and the fancy crap that goes along with them are a serious waste of money.

Personal reasons.

If you can be objective enough to put down the kook-aid (which I drank too for far too much of my life - would be more than happy to tell you about it sometime) - read this:

http://www.lifestream.org/LSBL.May01.html

Thanks for trying, but nothing that I can see will ever change my opinion about going to church or serving God there. I'll stay a kook.

I went to church from the time I was born until I was 14 or 15 and then I quit going until I was 31 or 32. It's going on 14 years now of the same schedule and I just keep adding to the things I get to do at church. I am quite content and happy with it. For me its a joy to go and to serve 99% of the time.

Kathianne
09-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm far from an evangelical, a new take on the old time Catholic. Probably more guilt ridden, which makes a sort of sense, as they were driven by guilt ridden Jews.

I was raised to go to church every Sunday, every holy day. I kept that up until my 3rd year of college, many moons ago. I picked it up again when my first was born, kept at it for 8 years. When marriage was floundering, got away from When it really hit the skids, stopped altogether.

Then came the divorce, that lasted forever, 3.5 years to be close. I waffled. Sometimes went, sometimes railed. The railing became deafening when I believed my children were being harmed. Then would come calm periods, with hope they could visit and learn from their dad.

All these years later, after losing my sister, mom, and dad, well it's still such a roller coaster. There are so many things I'm grateful for, so many things I'm angry about, the 'bottom' of which I had nothing to do with. I'm on the brink here today, do I think God hears me?

AFbombloader
09-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Matthew 18:20 says "For where two or more are gathered in My name, I am in their midst."

When you gather for a service, be it in a church, a movie theater, or outside you are in the presence of the Lord. That is why you should go to churce, or what you are comfortable with. No, it doesn't have to be in a building, as long as you are gathering to worship, the Lord will move among those who are there.

Being outside and in nature is one of the best times to experience God, IMHO. It is a great way to have personal worship time.

AF:salute:

Trinity
09-20-2008, 06:19 PM
(I am a recovering Catholic, 30 years clean :D).

Hey me too!

crin63
09-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Matthew 18:20 says "For where two or more are gathered in My name, I am in their midst."

When you gather for a service, be it in a church, a movie theater, or outside you are in the presence of the Lord. That is why you should go to churce, or what you are comfortable with. No, it doesn't have to be in a building, as long as you are gathering to worship, the Lord will move among those who are there.

Being outside and in nature is one of the best times to experience God, IMHO. It is a great way to have personal worship time.

Hey AFb hows everything? Good to see you around the last week or so.

Regarding Matthew 18:20. I believe that scripture is widely taken out of context and misapplied. It was in reference to church discipline and that if 2 or more agree on the resolution of the issue brought before them then they have Jesus stamp of approval so to speak on their decision. Not just anywhere that 2 or 3 people are gathered is Jesus there. Jesus is in heaven seated at the right hand of God as per 25 separate verses in the Bible.

Mat 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
Mat 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
Mat 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
Mat 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

AFbombloader
09-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey AFb hows everything? Good to see you around the last week or so.

Regarding Matthew 18:20. I believe that scripture is widely taken out of context and misapplied. It was in reference to church discipline and that if 2 or more agree on the resolution of the issue brought before them then they have Jesus stamp of approval so to speak on their decision. Not just anywhere that 2 or 3 people are gathered is Jesus there. Jesus is in heaven seated at the right hand of God as per 25 separate verses in the Bible.

Mat 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
Mat 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
Mat 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
Mat 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

I never looked at it in the context you mentioned. I have heard it brought up in the context I said many times. I can see where you are coming from. I will read more into it when I get home from work today, I don't have my Bible here with me.

I have been able to get on here more often as of late. Work is easier right now and I am able to sneak on while I am here. With the time difference I am on a lot when nobody else is. That and I have grown tired of the election and all that comes with it, so I am not really posting in those threads. I have been spending time on a message board for a religious sight too, that has taken more of my time. That and applying online for jobs. I had to build my first resume, 20 years of Air Force experience onto one page, not easy!

Yurt
09-20-2008, 08:07 PM
great posts!

Mr. P
09-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I never looked at it in the context you mentioned. I have heard it brought up in the context I said many times. I can see where you are coming from. I will read more into it when I get home from work today, I don't have my Bible here with me.

I have been able to get on here more often as of late. Work is easier right now and I am able to sneak on while I am here. With the time difference I am on a lot when nobody else is. That and I have grown tired of the election and all that comes with it, so I am not really posting in those threads. I have been spending time on a message board for a religious sight too, that has taken more of my time. That and applying online for jobs. I had to build my first resume, 20 years of Air Force experience onto one page, not easy!

Let me know how that goes...I never had any luck with online apps ..not even one reply.

Yurt
09-20-2008, 09:53 PM
for the nature lovers, i enjoyed my day, not at church, out riding bikes and yes, nature is an awesome way to feel close to something greater than you.

i rode from los osos to morro bay and back. amazing. i have never experienced the estuary like that. always driving by and never truly appreciating the beauty.

Mr. P
09-20-2008, 09:59 PM
for the nature lovers, i enjoyed my day, not at church, out riding bikes and yes, nature is an awesome way to feel close to something greater than you.

i rode from los osos to morro bay and back. amazing. i have never experienced the estuary like that. always driving by and never truly appreciating the beauty.

Are you one of those IDIOTS that I have to drive around cuz they think they're on a motorized vehicle and have every right to be on the road holding-up traffic, endangering themselves, while wearing those tight spandex shorts and a cool helmet?

I doubt it, just had to ask.

AFbombloader
09-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Let me know how that goes...I never had any luck with online apps ..not even one reply.

I'm a bit nervous about it myself. I don't really have a choice but to apply online as of right now. I really just wan to get my resume out to as many people as I can and see what happens. I will have 3 months where I still get my AF pay when I leave here and I hope to have a job before that runs out. Say a prayer or cross your fingers, whatever you choose!

Yurt
09-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Are you one of those IDIOTS that I have to drive around cuz they think they're on a motorized vehicle and have every right to be on the road holding-up traffic, endangering themselves, while wearing those tight spandex shorts and a cool helmet?

I doubt it, just had to ask.

i have not purchased the bike shorts yet...and i do not have helmets yet...

there is a bike lane, quite nice. SLO is very bike oriented. so i have not held up to much traffic, but i did today, there is a small road next to the estuary with no bike lanes, but it is only a 25MPH road with light traffic....so i am going along and put my left arm out to make a left turn and then i turn my head.....well, 5 cars were behind us....LOOOOL

but i waited, until they passed to turn left

and you don't need to be jealous that we can wear tight spandex...with the foam cushion in the 'sac' area..... it's just foam :laugh2:

KitchenKitten99
09-21-2008, 12:28 AM
My grandmother was Catholic and we did go to church quite a bit when I was little, but as time went on, we went less, then stopped when my grandma was diagnosed with leukemia and had to avoid closed public places. I was actually relieved that we stopped going because I felt more and more like an outsider. I have no clear reason why I always felt like I never fit in. I always felt like I was the black sheep in a flock of white sheep. I always did the same things and participated with the other kids, but I never really felt like I belonged there. It wasn't even that I questioned teachings (which came later) but that I felt somehow different, and so I never really connected with the whole experience.

I don't go now, because to be blunt, I am too cynical. Mostly because my whole life, adults in my life lied to me about too many things, so I became pretty distrusting of what any adult told me until I could see physical proof or evidence. I am sometimes too skeptical to a fault. It is just instinct and I sometimes have to reassure myself to have faith in someone. Though usually I go by my gut instinct and 99% of the time, I turn out to be correct in my distrust.

Over time, I have come to believe that the Bible isn't a book of supposedly true stories about things that happened once upon a time when the laws of physics were defied every day like it was nothing, but that the stories were created as teaching tools to guide people into being better people and living in a better way, to create a better society and future for our children and the human race as a whole.

Sorry, I don't believe that someone could defy all laws of physics and turn water into wine, and then that ability is somehow lost when I throw Christmas parties and don't have a big enough budget for alcohol...

Most of our laws are based on the Ten Commandments. So the Christianity thing isn't all bad.

I just can't do the blind faith thing. It has burned me far too many times that I am too jaded to try to attend church anymore.

crin63
09-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Sorry, I don't believe that someone could defy all laws of physics and turn water into wine, and then that ability is somehow lost when I throw Christmas parties and don't have a big enough budget for alcohol...

Most of our laws are based on the Ten Commandments. So the Christianity thing isn't all bad.

I just can't do the blind faith thing. It has burned me far too many times that I am too jaded to try to attend church anymore.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you believe about creation?

bullypulpit
09-21-2008, 12:52 AM
What is the point of going to church? I often am bored with the sermon, and want to be out doing something else. so, i have not been to church in years. my wife would like to start again. in fact, she asked me today. i don't want to go, she does.

IMO

churches are more clickesh and snobbish than the majority of folks i know who do not attend church at all or sometimes. and before you jump out of your chairs and say -- not my church -- i have a long church history with my church and have been all over with this church and this church prides itself on having open arms. is your church so different? or is it just church.

Many go to church out of nothing more than habit. And from the services I attended before I abandoned Christianity altogether, I found the sermons to be more about pandering to the lowest common denominator than offering any real guidance or inspiration. And IMHO, guidance an inspiration are the sole purpose of religion...not dogmatic adherence to a set of beliefs.

Perhaps that is the great flaw of religions. They build the huge, unwieldy, authoritarian sets of beliefs on what are essentially good ideas. Ideas can change, but beliefs are so set in their forms that people will fight and kill and die for them. Better to have a pretty good idea than to believe without question.

KitchenKitten99
09-21-2008, 12:55 AM
If you don't mind my asking, what do you believe about creation?

I really don't know, and to be honest, it makes little difference to me how we got here. We as a human race, are here now, and keeping that going is more important.

It would be interesting to really find out how it all started, but I honestly don't think anyone in our lifetime will physically prove or show indisputable evidence of how we came to be what we are now, and really it makes little difference to our survival. We have done well thus far, in keeping the species going, extending life expectancy, developing ways to make living life easier and more enjoyable. I'd rather focus on the future, and keep the past in mind in order to avoid repeating mistakes, instead of dwelling on "what was" and "what did".

I can accept that humans started out as essentially a spontaneous combustion (something from literally nothing), if in fact that was how it happened. I accept that there is that small possibility. But just because it was written in a dead language, in a book somewhere, and especially knowing how so many things are lost in translation, doesn't mean it was true. I could write my own definition of a Bible, and claim that God himself spoke to me and told me to write it, just like those who wrote the Bible said happened. Doesn't mean it actually did happen or that I didn't just make up the stories myself. Or maybe God really did speak to me, and said "Here, this is what happened...". Why couldn't it happen now, in this day and age? People believed those who wrote the parts of the Bible back then, so why not someone else now?

I just don't think it is prudent to put too much stock into a book that maybe, just maybe, wasn't meant to be taken so damn literally.

Yurt
09-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Many go to church out of nothing more than habit. And from the services I attended before I abandoned Christianity altogether, I found the sermons to be more about pandering to the lowest common denominator than offering any real guidance or inspiration. And IMHO, guidance an inspiration are the sole purpose of religion...not dogmatic adherence to a set of beliefs.

Perhaps that is the great flaw of religions. They build the huge, unwieldy, authoritarian sets of beliefs on what are essentially good ideas. Ideas can change, but beliefs are so set in their forms that people will fight and kill and die for them. Better to have a pretty good idea than to believe without question.

what do you believe in? and what is the lowest commone denominator? just words? what do you think offers guidence or inspiration? just words? if guidance and inspiration are, as you say, the sole purpose of religion.....

-Cp
09-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks for trying, but nothing that I can see will ever change my opinion about going to church or serving God there. I'll stay a kook.

I went to church from the time I was born until I was 14 or 15 and then I quit going until I was 31 or 32. It's going on 14 years now of the same schedule and I just keep adding to the things I get to do at church. I am quite content and happy with it. For me its a joy to go and to serve 99% of the time.

You can keep doing that but you're serving your own ego by going thru those motions and not God...

Yurt
09-21-2008, 01:13 AM
My grandmother was Catholic and we did go to church quite a bit when I was little, but as time went on, we went less, then stopped when my grandma was diagnosed with leukemia and had to avoid closed public places. I was actually relieved that we stopped going because I felt more and more like an outsider. I have no clear reason why I always felt like I never fit in. I always felt like I was the black sheep in a flock of white sheep. I always did the same things and participated with the other kids, but I never really felt like I belonged there. It wasn't even that I questioned teachings (which came later) but that I felt somehow different, and so I never really connected with the whole experience.

I don't go now, because to be blunt, I am too cynical. Mostly because my whole life, adults in my life lied to me about too many things, so I became pretty distrusting of what any adult told me until I could see physical proof or evidence. I am sometimes too skeptical to a fault. It is just instinct and I sometimes have to reassure myself to have faith in someone. Though usually I go by my gut instinct and 99% of the time, I turn out to be correct in my distrust.

Over time, I have come to believe that the Bible isn't a book of supposedly true stories about things that happened once upon a time when the laws of physics were defied every day like it was nothing, but that the stories were created as teaching tools to guide people into being better people and living in a better way, to create a better society and future for our children and the human race as a whole.

99% right on distrust, you have me beat. i truly understand.

i don't understand how you believe that it defies the laws of physics to turn water into wine. what makes you think that?

about our laws, yes, it is something makes me continue to believe in Christ, even though i am not perfect, i find it hard to find a single flaw in the 10 commandments. are they just words?

Abbey Marie
09-21-2008, 08:54 AM

I don't know if you are fmailiar with this very popular contemporary Christian song, God of Wonders, but your post reminded me of the lyrics. It's one of my faves.

And I agree with you about nature. Speaking for me, it is a testament to God's existence.

God Of Wonders - Third Day (City On A Hill)

Lord Of all creation
Of water, earth, and sky
The heavens are Your tabernacle
Glory to the Lord on high

God of wonders beyond our galaxy
You are holy, holy
The universe declares Your majesty
You are holy, holy
Lord of heaven and earth
Lord of heaven and earth

Early in the morning
I will celebrate the light
When I stumble in the darkness
I will call Your name by night

God of wonders beyond our galaxy
You are holy, holy
The universe declares Your majesty
You are holy, holy
Lord of heaven and earth
Lord of heaven and earth

Hallelujah to the Lord of heaven and earth

etc...

bullypulpit
09-21-2008, 10:01 AM
what do you believe in? and what is the lowest commone denominator? just words? what do you think offers guidence or inspiration? just words? if guidance and inspiration are, as you say, the sole purpose of religion.....

The lowest common denominator...? Pray and give me money and you too can get rich...Prosperity theology.

What offers guidance and inspiration...? Actions, not words. Walk the walk and talk only when necessary.

crin63
09-21-2008, 10:08 AM
The lowest common denominator...? Pray and give me money and you too can get rich...Prosperity theology.

What offers guidance and inspiration...? Actions, not words. Walk the walk and talk only when necessary.

You're talking about counterfeit Christians.

The one thing counterfeits always prove, the real thing is out there.

09-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Can we say that miracles deny the laws of physics, or any other law of nature, when our knowledge of the laws of nature is still imperfect?

Anyone getting rich off the preaching of the Gospel doesnt know the Gospel.

bullypulpit
09-21-2008, 12:51 PM
You're talking about counterfeit Christians.

The one thing counterfeits always prove, the real thing is out there.

You're preaching to the choir. Why, though, are there so few of them? Nursing is not just my profession, it is my practice as a Buddhist. I try to walk the walk...but not always perfectly. That's just part of being human. The real trick is to learn from your mistakes.

bullypulpit
09-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Can we say that miracles deny the laws of physics, or any other law of nature, when our knowledge of the laws of nature is still imperfect?

Anyone getting rich off the preaching of the Gospel doesnt know the Gospel.

Miracles are in the eye of the beholder. Just because an event lies outside the realm of scientific explanation does not mean that it will always remain so.

BoogyMan
09-21-2008, 02:08 PM

IMO

Here is a very good reason, Yurt.

24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

gabosaurus
09-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Why go anyplace? No one should be "required" to go to church. Unless you are in one of those Catholic or Baptist sects who are taught that missing church dooms you to hell.
I attend church because I enjoy it. My church is not a place where people go to listen. You got to participate. It is a "worship and praise" church. Everyone is welcome to have their say.

Attending church is not a required part of religion. God lives in everyone's heart. You can worship anyplace at anytime.
Believe it or not, a church does not have to be an ornate, opulent temple. It can be a storefront in a strip center. Our church has a part-time preacher who has a regular full time job. We don't pass a collection place. The plate is in the vestibule, where you can contribute if you so desire.
There are no stewardship lecture extolling the virtues of tithing or regular contributions. We hear only the Word of God.

BoogyMan
09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Why go anyplace? No one should be "required" to go to church. Unless you are in one of those Catholic or Baptist sects who are taught that missing church dooms you to hell.
I attend church because I enjoy it. My church is not a place where people go to listen. You got to participate. It is a "worship and praise" church. Everyone is welcome to have their say.

Attending church is not a required part of religion. God lives in everyone's heart. You can worship anyplace at anytime.
Believe it or not, a church does not have to be an ornate, opulent temple. It can be a storefront in a strip center. Our church has a part-time preacher who has a regular full time job. We don't pass a collection place. The plate is in the vestibule, where you can contribute if you so desire.
There are no stewardship lecture extolling the virtues of tithing or regular contributions. We hear only the Word of God.

Hmmm, the scriptures posted immediately above this point to your continued error, gabby.

You are slightly correct that a church is not supposed to be an ornate and oppulent structure though, as the church is the called out body of people, not the building in which they meet.

gabosaurus
09-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Scriptures form the base of the Christian religion. They do not force people to attend church. That choice should come from your heart and your spirit. If you feel guilty about not attending church, then you shouldn't be there in the first place. No one should be in a church listening to an ipod or planning a brief nap. You go to praise God and receive the Word.

I don't force my husband or daughter to attend worship. They go because they enjoy it. My daughter actually looks forward to it.
If you feel compelled by guilt to attend, you would be better served staying home.

crin63
09-21-2008, 04:13 PM
You're preaching to the choir. Why, though, are there so few of them? Nursing is not just my profession, it is my practice as a Buddhist. I try to walk the walk...but not always perfectly. That's just part of being human. The real trick is to learn from your mistakes.

My opinion is that people are lazy and or want God to fit in their box instead finding out what God actually wants them to do. From my experience people want to make God into their idea of what he should be instead of just reading the Bible to find who God says He is, what He does and what He wants from us. Obviously you have to believe the Bible is Gods word first.

Jesus said there were few that would be saved. I think allot of people have faith but they did not trust in Jesus to the saving of their souls. The believe facts, they said magic words, they made a commitment but did they actually embrace Jesus to the saving of their souls? I think that is the question.

Luk 13:23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

2Ti 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Once again you see another counterfeit in the following post. You see a vile person filled with hatred and with no understanding of much of anything let alone God or salvation.

BoogyMan
09-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Scriptures form the base of the Christian religion. They do not force people to attend church. That choice should come from your heart and your spirit. If you feel guilty about not attending church, then you shouldn't be there in the first place. No one should be in a church listening to an ipod or planning a brief nap. You go to praise God and receive the Word.

I don't force my husband or daughter to attend worship. They go because they enjoy it. My daughter actually looks forward to it.
If you feel compelled by guilt to attend, you would be better served staying home.

I will post the clear teaching again.

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

gabosaurus
09-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Once again you see another counterfeit in the following post. You see a vile person filled with hatred and with no understanding of much of anything let alone God or salvation.

Crin, aren't you the formerly vile and reprehensible guy who has illegitimate kids by different women? Who are you to label someone as "counterfeit"? What makes other religious thoughts subservient to yours? How do we know that YOU are not the counterfeit one?

bullypulpit
09-21-2008, 07:34 PM
My opinion is that people are lazy and or want God to fit in their box instead finding out what God actually wants them to do. From my experience people want to make God into their idea of what he should be instead of just reading the Bible to find who God says He is, what He does and what He wants from us. Obviously you have to believe the Bible is Gods word first.

Jesus said there were few that would be saved. I think allot of people have faith but they did not trust in Jesus to the saving of their souls. The believe facts, they said magic words, they made a commitment but did they actually embrace Jesus to the saving of their souls? I think that is the question.

Luk 13:23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

1Co 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

Mat 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

2Ti 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Your first paragraph sums it up nicely. How does anyone know just what God wants them to do? If the Bible is the absolute and inerrant word of God, why aren't we stoning people for eating shell-fish of wearing cotton and polyester as Leviticus seems wont to have us do? To give religious doctrine the status of an absolute is unwarranted and ultimately self-defeating. For it to serve as a guide is warranted, along with a healthy dose of skepticism towards those absolutes.

bullypulpit
09-21-2008, 07:45 PM

<quote> Originally Posted by Hebrews 10:24-25
<b>24</b> And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
<b>25</b> Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.</quote>

I don't really see anything about going to church. We can "assemble ourselves together" in our homes and discuss religious doctrine without the benefit of an organized religion. But that would require some intellectual effort, and organized religions, being what they are, tend to look unfavorably on those who would critically examine their paternalism and authoritarianism. And it was that, as much as his political views, which led Jesus' crucifixion.

It's much easier to sit and have doctrine spoon fed to one by some supposed authority than to actually examine and understand it.

09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Your first paragraph sums it up nicely. How does anyone know just what God wants them to do? If the Bible is the absolute and inerrant word of God, why aren't we stoning people for eating shell-fish of wearing cotton and polyester as Leviticus seems wont to have us do? To give religious doctrine the status of an absolute is unwarranted and ultimately self-defeating. For it to serve as a guide is warranted, along with a healthy dose of skepticism towards those absolutes.

They ask Him.

-Cp
09-21-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hebrews 10:24-25

Yeah, still don't see anything in there about going to a certain building, on a certain day at a certain time and somehow thinking that is "church"...

crin63
09-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Crin, aren't you the formerly vile and reprehensible guy who has illegitimate kids by different women? Who are you to label someone as "counterfeit"? What makes other religious thoughts subservient to yours? How do we know that YOU are not the counterfeit one?

Formerly vile and reprehensible, oh absolutely yes. Sinner still, yes. Illegitimate kids, no. I have 3 children, 2 from a whoring ex-wife that I divorced after 2-3 years of her whoring around. I got custody of my sons from that marriage and I raised them. I remarried 14 years ago, have a 13 year old daughter and still married.

gabosaurus
09-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Crin, my apologies for the misunderstanding.
I would like to know why you feel I am a "counterfeit Christian." I came to God the same way you did. I realized that I was treading the wrong path in life and discovered that there was a better way.
Not everyone worships the same way. I believe what I believe, and worship how I think is best. This is how I am raising my daughter. We all follow the same God. The path is simply different.

Silver
09-22-2008, 04:35 PM
And then there are those that ridicule what they perceive as Sarah Plain religious views...the bullshit they read on left wing blogs and accept as fact.....

crin63
09-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Crin, my apologies for the misunderstanding.
I would like to know why you feel I am a "counterfeit Christian." I came to God the same way you did. I realized that I was treading the wrong path in life and discovered that there was a better way.
Not everyone worships the same way. I believe what I believe, and worship how I think is best. This is how I am raising my daughter. We all follow the same God. The path is simply different.

Apology accepted.

Nearly everything I have seen that you believe is contrary to the Bible and the Bible is the only place where we find Gods word.

If I'm wrong on the following let me know.
You seem to believe that allah is the same as the God of the Bible and if that's the case then you have no understanding of the God of the Bible. If you don't know who the God of the Bible is, how can you be a Christian?
When you say you came to God, what do you mean? What God?

You demonstrate such hatred, that it seems you actually hope for people to be killed by their guns, by AIDS and who knows what else. I don't have time to read all your posts and find them all out. Others have made the same observations from your posts as per their responses to you.

I understand any Christian getting angry on occasion and maybe letting a curse word slip, but I do not understand when someone who purports to be a Christian uses the vile and foul language that you use on a constant basis. Letting a word slip from your mouth on occasion and actually sitting down and typing it out are two very different things. I'm of the opinion that it goes to character and reflects on the credibility as to whether one is actually a Christian.

gabosaurus
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I have answered this query many times. No one seems to have accepted it. So I will rephrase simply.
God said "I am the God of all people."
Notice that God didn't list any exceptions. No caveats. No cherry-picking. God loves everyone.
God also said "Love thy neighbor."
I love all of God's people. You do not. You find reasons to hate those that you feel are worthy of such.
As for the subject of Allah, I am referring to a translation. Not an ideology. A translation. Allah is the Arabic word for God. It comes from the Arabic word "elah," meaning a god or something worshiped. Allah is mentioned 17 times in The Bible.
Do try to keep up. :D

crin63
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I have answered this query many times. No one seems to have accepted it. So I will rephrase simply.
Notice that God didn't list any exceptions. No caveats. No cherry-picking. God loves everyone.
I love all of God's people. You do not. You find reasons to hate those that you feel are worthy of such.
As for the subject of Allah, I am referring to a translation. Not an ideology. A translation. Allah is the Arabic word for God. It comes from the Arabic word "elah," meaning a god or something worshiped. Allah is mentioned 17 times in The Bible.

I don't hate anyone. I invite muslims to church every opportunity I have. I talk to muslims just like anyone else.

I am thoroughly disgusted by homosexuals and lesbians. If they weren't out to destroy churches and silence preaching I would even invite them if I could stomach a conversation. Don't try to tell me they're not because I had to go to a legal workshop regarding how they are attacking churches nationwide.

You might want to find out what the word was. It was the names of people and places in the Bible, not allah.

אלא
'êlâ'
ay-law'
oak; Ela, an Israelite: -

אלה
'êlâh
ay-law'
Elah, the name of an Edomite, or four Israelites, and also of a place in Palestine: - Elah.

Do try to keep up. :coffee:

Yurt
09-25-2008, 01:33 PM

:lol:

the profit mumu wrote the quran 600 years after the NT

crin63
09-25-2008, 09:49 PM
The word elah as I posted is a Hebrew word. It was used 17 times in 16 verses.
It was used in Genesis, 1 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings and 1 Chronicles.

Yurt
09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
The word elah as I posted is a Hebrew word. It was used 17 times in 16 verses.
It was used in Genesis, 1 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings and 1 Chronicles.

elah, yes, but not "allah" in arabic.

crin63
09-25-2008, 10:00 PM
elah, yes, but not "allah" in arabic.

You are absolutely correct. Not in arabic.

Abbey Marie
09-26-2008, 11:11 AM
There are many reasons to go to church, but I have one overriding reason to go. In a fallen world, full of anger, sin, jealousy, greed, and especially, non-believers, it is actually healing to sit in that building with other believers.
I could buy sermon tapes and get the same message, and read my Bible at home, but I wouldn't get the restorative powers of being in the middle of that congregation while hearing God's Word and singing His praises.

The location of the building, the formality or lack of it, the size, the decor, etc., do not mean much.

crin63
09-26-2008, 12:44 PM
The location of the building, the formality or lack of it, the size, the decor, etc., do not mean much.

I basically agree with you.

A building is a convenient place to gather and a location that you can point others to. It is also an expected part of religion. If you don't have a building almost no one will take you serious.

I believe it should be as clean and comfortable as it can be. It should have nice proper functioning equipment. It should be a place that when someone new walks in they aren't repulsed either way, it shouldn't be shabby or extravagant.

fj1200
01-04-2016, 09:56 AM
What is the point of going to church?

Community, shared study of the bible, and contributing to a revival of Christendom. Building the Kingdom of God on earth.

glockmail
01-04-2016, 12:59 PM
Holy crap, post excavation!

Gunny
01-04-2016, 01:14 PM

You beat me to the punch on that one. 2008? I'm trying to remember if I remember 2008. :laugh2:

glockmail
01-04-2016, 01:46 PM
You beat me to the punch on that one. 2008? I'm trying to remember if I remember 2008. :laugh2:

I barely remember last week.

Good topic though. I can see why many people are not church goers. Too many of them believe in that tithing shit, and most folks simply can't afford another ten percent of their earnings, since GovCo already takes several times more than that.

As a Catholic, I've never been asked to tithe. We give a little bit each week but it's far less that 10% of my income.

All Catholic masses have the same basic routine regardless of Diocese. I've been to Church in Mexico, Europe, many US states. Even when the mass was in Spanish I knew basically what was going on.

There's always three readings, and each week is different over a three year cycle. The first is usually from the OT, but not always. The second is from the NT and the third is gospel. The three are selected to "tie in" together, usually demonstrating consistency of a teaching, or fulfillment of scripture. The homily is typically the priest's his interpretation of this.

Does it get repetitive after three years? Not really, because, like Gunny, I can't remember back that far. :laugh:

Gunny
01-04-2016, 02:34 PM
I barely remember last week.

Good topic though. I can see why many people are not church goers. Too many of them believe in that tithing shit, and most folks simply can't afford another ten percent of their earnings, since GovCo already takes several times more than that.

As a Catholic, I've never been asked to tithe. We give a little bit each week but it's far less that 10% of my income.

All Catholic masses have the same basic routine regardless of Diocese. I've been to Church in Mexico, Europe, many US states. Even when the mass was in Spanish I knew basically what was going on.

There's always three readings, and each week is different over a three year cycle. The first is usually from the OT, but not always. The second is from the NT and the third is gospel. The three are selected to "tie in" together, usually demonstrating consistency of a teaching, or fulfillment of scripture. The homily is typically the priest's his interpretation of this.

Does it get repetitive after three years? Not really, because, like Gunny, I can't remember back that far. :laugh:

I don't go to church. I was raised in a Southern Baptist church and Protestant services on base. I attended the Episcopal church for awhile and have actually been to a couple of Catholic services. Everyone's got their own spin.

And if can remember yesterday it's a good day. :laugh:

fj1200
01-04-2016, 03:09 PM

Just a little blast from the past with a still relevant question. :cool:

Drummond
01-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Community, shared study of the bible, and contributing to a revival of Christendom. Building the Kingdom of God on earth.

You have to go back as far as 2008 to find any material upon which you can try to build your 'Conservative bona fides', FJ .. ???

It's a bit desperate .. isn't it ?

Still, I'll give you credit for trying.

Any time you want to enhance your efforts with totally honest representation of yourself, go to it ! :rolleyes:

glockmail
01-04-2016, 03:25 PM
I don't go to church. I was raised in a Southern Baptist church and Protestant services on base. I attended the Episcopal church for awhile and have actually been to a couple of Catholic services. Everyone's got their own spin.

And if can remember yesterday it's a good day. :laugh:

It's worth going for me. There's a church in Boone we go to a lot because we're in the High Country most weekends. It is associated with an outreach program at Appalachian State so there's a lot of college students who go there. The current pastor, his first gig out of Seminary school, must be all of 23 years old and looks younger. He gives a good perspective on the readings.

A few weeks ago he gave us a primer on Our Lady of Guadalupe, and I had to look it up and read more. Atheists can't 'splain it. :laugh:

fj1200
01-04-2016, 03:27 PM
You have to go back as far as 2008 ...

Way to screw up another thread with your DumbF*ery.

Elessar
01-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Way to screw up another thread with your DumbF*ery.

I'd say give it a rest or go to the cage.

Elessar
01-04-2016, 05:44 PM
It's worth going for me. There's a church in Boone we go to a lot because we're in the High Country most weekends. It is associated with an outreach program at Appalachian State so there's a lot of college students who go there. The current pastor, his first gig out of Seminary school, must be all of 23 years old and looks younger. He gives a good perspective on the readings.

A few weeks ago he gave us a primer on Our Lady of Guadalupe, and I had to look it up and read more. Atheists can't 'splain it. :laugh:

My favorite church is in the forest or along the river or beach.

That is what God's hands created, not some man-made structure.
Yes, I still sing the carols I learned as a lad....They are in my
mind now.

But the natural creation is the best church....under the open sky.

Gunny
01-04-2016, 06:51 PM

I have ZERO problem with people that go to church. If I lived by a base I'd probably go. I don't like the Baptist church because when you go, the biddy committee is at you house that very week. Moving from one Baptist church to another is a major pain. I want to be left alone, sit in the back and listen. And I damned sure don't want a bunch of blue-haired spinsters at my house. Doing it repeatedly every time you change duty stations just got old.

Abbey Marie
01-04-2016, 08:11 PM
I have ZERO problem with people that go to church. If I lived by a base I'd probably go. I don't like the Baptist church because when you go, the biddy committee is at you house that very week. Moving from one Baptist church to another is a major pain. I want to be left alone, sit in the back and listen. And I damned sure don't want a bunch of blue-haired spinsters at my house. Doing it repeatedly every time you change duty stations just got old.

I think our Baptist church must be different. These busybody things never happen here.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-04-2016, 08:43 PM

The boy went looking for redemption after the last three weeks have shown such a bright light on him and his "ways"!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Trying to re-establish his bonafides and repair his cleverly created image methinks.
Our little buddy fj, must think this sudden Christian excavation will save his tarnished and greatly exposed position here.
Yes, methinks he is just that delusional. :laugh:--Tyr

On topic, most Christians go to church for the fellowship. The need and desire to be among like worshiping brethren. Myself, greater part of me is a loner basically , I rarely ever attend a church now.
I do however respect those that do..

Perianne
01-04-2016, 08:52 PM
I think our Baptist church must be different. These busybody things never happen here.

But then again you have probably never had Gunny come to your church. Those ladies probably were frightened of him and thought he needed prayer. :)

:teasing:

fj1200
01-04-2016, 09:06 PM
I'd say give it a rest or go to the cage.

Yes, I'm the one. :rolleyes:

fj1200
01-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Our little buddy fj, must think this sudden Christian excavation will save his tarnished and greatly exposed position here.

It's better than evangelizing your brand of stupidity.

Gunny
01-04-2016, 10:07 PM
But then again you have probably never had Gunny come to your church. Those ladies probably were frightened of him and thought he needed prayer. :)

:teasing:

You should have met my ex, the retired SSgt. I wasn't the one you had to worry about. :laugh:

Perianne
01-04-2016, 10:19 PM
You should have met my ex, the retired SSgt. I wasn't the one you had to worry about. :laugh:

Be honest, Gunny. Could she beat you up? :)

Elessar
01-04-2016, 11:57 PM
Yes, I'm the one. :rolleyes:

You have not got the nads.

Elessar
01-04-2016, 11:58 PM

PERI! Silly Lady!

glockmail
01-05-2016, 12:14 AM
The boy went looking for redemption after the last three weeks have shown such a bright light on him and his "ways"!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Trying to re-establish his bonafides and repair his cleverly created image methinks.
Yes, methinks he is just that delusional. :laugh:--Tyr

On topic, most Christians go to church for the fellowship. The need and desire to be among like worshiping brethren. Myself, greater part of me is a loner basically , I rarely ever attend a church now.
I do however respect those that do..

Interesting. We Catholics tend to keep to ourselves during services. I've met fellow parishioners some folks in an odd place, like Disney world for example, and they act surprised when I approach them. 'Dude, we go to church together.' :laugh:

Gunny
01-05-2016, 01:49 AM

Nobody could beat me up. Wives have a different kind of control. She's mean as Hell. I'm ruthless. There's a difference. I'll do what it takes to win. She wants to beat your ass, pee on your dead body and smear bacon grease on you if you're a raghead. She hates me and talks shit about me to this day and we've been divorced longer than we were married.

Her biggest weakness in our relationship was trying to compete with me in a man's world. And blaming ME because I got deployed and she was stuck with the kids. Like I wrote my own orders deploying myself. :rolleyes:

Gee, just to piss off the little woman I think I'll go on a 6 month tour of the Arabian Gulf stuck on a boat with a bunch of dumb jarheads and squids. :rolleyes:

sundaydriver
01-05-2016, 05:50 AM
My favorite church is in the forest or along the river or beach.

That is what God's hands created, not some man-made structure.
Yes, I still sing the carols I learned as a lad....They are in my
mind now.

But the natural creation is the best church....under the open sky.

Amen Brother!

I feel his presence best while admiring his work. For years early Sunday mornings were for taking the dog several miles on the Appalachian trail to end up sitting atop the Delaware Water Gap just admiring the world.

Abbey Marie
01-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Interesting. We Catholics tend to keep to ourselves during services. I've met fellow parishioners some folks in an odd place, like Disney world for example, and they act surprised when I approach them. 'Dude, we go to church together.' :laugh:

Lol, not exactly the picture of a New Testament church.

Abbey Marie
01-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Nobody could beat me up. Wives have a different kind of control. She's mean as Hell. I'm ruthless. There's a difference. I'll do what it takes to win. She wants to beat your ass, pee on your dead body and smear bacon grease on you if you're a raghead. She hates me and talks shit about me to this day and we've been divorced longer than we were married.

Her biggest weakness in our relationship was trying to compete with me in a man's world. And blaming ME because I got deployed and she was stuck with the kids. Like I wrote my own orders deploying myself. :rolleyes:

Gee, just to piss off the little woman I think I'll go on a 6 month tour of the Arabian Gulf stuck on a boat with a bunch of dumb jarheads and squids. :rolleyes:

That is immaturity

fj1200
01-05-2016, 01:39 PM
You have not got the nads.

:martian:

Abbey Marie
01-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Precious few posts on the thread topic, since this was resurrected
:smoke:

fj1200
01-05-2016, 03:57 PM
Precious few posts on the thread topic, since this was resurrected
:smoke:

:(

Abbey Marie
01-05-2016, 04:11 PM
:(

I agree. And it's a good topic.

fj1200
01-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Amen Brother!

I feel his presence best while admiring his work. For years early Sunday mornings were for taking the dog several miles on the Appalachian trail to end up sitting atop the Delaware Water Gap just admiring the world.

But isn't that lacking context?

Abbey Marie
01-05-2016, 04:21 PM
I think if you are communing with God anywhere, it is a good thing. But there is also a real need, IMO, for expository Bible teaching, and communal worship.

Black Diamond
01-05-2016, 04:36 PM
I think if you are communing with God anywhere, it is a good thing. But there is also a real need, IMO, for expository Bible teaching, and communal worship.

And then some. We quit going in 2001 after pastor was embezzling. We were out if church for 11 years. We almost got divorced. Went to Christian counselling and got back on track. It's unbelievable.

Black Diamond
01-05-2016, 04:40 PM

His post reminded me of Ted Nugent's Fred Bear.

sundaydriver
01-06-2016, 05:59 AM

Yes, but in bear country you don't get too deep in thought.

glockmail
01-06-2016, 09:31 AM

God likes to see His children worship together.

As a practical scientist, it's not a matter of "faith" for me. The science of the universe has obviously been designed, and that of course points to a designer who is omnipotent.

As a Catholic, I believe in His presence in the Eucharist.

fj1200
01-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Yes, but in bear country you don't get too deep in thought.

:laugh: I just meant that if you "go to church" in nature you're missing the context of the Big C Church.