PDA

View Full Version : White Privilege

midcan5
09-19-2008, 06:57 PM
This is Your Nation on White Privilege By Tim Wise

"For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “fuckin’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their fuckin' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot shit” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action."

rest here:

http://www.redroom.com/blog/tim-wise/this-your-nation-white-privilege

Yurt
09-19-2008, 07:12 PM
i forgive you for being a moron.

i bet the asian, indians, jews etc.... just love your racial bullshit

you are still a moron though

stephanie
09-19-2008, 07:42 PM

"For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “fuckin’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their fuckin' ass,” and talk about how you like to “shoot shit” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action."

rest here:

I've been having a jolly good laugh at some of the stupid shit you post..
I don't believe you believe in all this shit, you just post it to see if you can get a rise out of people...but man some of it is hilarious...

and you can call me a redneck, see if I give a shit...I'm rather proud to be one.....:laugh2:

darin
09-19-2008, 07:48 PM
As a black man, I can attend SEVERAL colleges my white brethren cannot. I can say nigger, my white friends can't. To me, this country is full of BLACK privledge. Midcan has the privledge of absolutely dropping the collective IQ of the membership of this board. Anyone who buys into the absolute nonsense she does needs serious and immediate mental help.

April15
09-19-2008, 07:52 PM
As a black man, I can attend SEVERAL colleges my white brethren cannot. I can say nigger, my white friends can't. To me, this country is full of BLACK privledge. Midcan has the privledge of absolutely dropping the collective IQ of the membership of this board. Anyone who buys into the absolute nonsense she does needs serious and immediate mental help.As a white man with black children I have seen exactly what midcans piece opines.

hjmick
09-19-2008, 08:08 PM
As a white man with black children I have seen exactly what midcans piece opines.

You mean Time Wise's piece, don't you? ;)

darin
09-19-2008, 08:38 PM
As a white man with black children I have seen exactly what midcans piece opines.

People CHOOSE to be victims - like people CHOOSE poverty. With the very occasional exception, nobody controls or 'holds down' anybody.

Black people need to seriously grab their balls and stand up for, and take accountability for their successes AND Failures. Stop blaming the White Man.

hjmick
09-19-2008, 08:49 PM
People CHOOSE to be victims - like people CHOOSE poverty. With the very occasional exception, nobody controls or 'holds down' anybody.

Black people need to seriously grab their balls and stand up for, and take accountability for their successes AND Failures. Stop blaming the White Man.

D, do you listen to Larry Elder? Read his articles? He is often railing against the victim mentality of some Blacks.

On another note, holding the views you do, do find yourself being labeled an "Uncle Tom" or other such epithets? I'm just curious.

April15
09-19-2008, 09:04 PM
You mean Time Wise's piece, don't you? ;)yes

darin
09-19-2008, 09:07 PM
D, do you listen to Larry Elder? Read his articles? He is often railing against the victim mentality of some Blacks.

I have on occasion and every time I thought he was right-on!

On another note, holding the views you do, do find yourself being labeled an "Uncle Tom" or other such epithets? I'm just curious.

Most people don't know I'm black. :)

April15
09-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Black people need to seriously grab their balls and stand up for, and take accountability for their successes AND Failures. Stop blaming the White Man.I am sorry but I can't go with people choose to be victims. And who the hell would pick poverty? Circumstances and fate along with luck play a part in everyones life.

theHawk
09-19-2008, 09:13 PM
There's a lot of people that pick poverty. They're too lazy to work their way out of it and expect free handouts from the gob'ment.

darin
09-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I am sorry but I can't go with people choose to be victims. And who the hell would pick poverty? Circumstances and fate along with luck play a part in everyones life.

People pick LOTS of bad ideas. Drugs. Homosexuality. Street Racing. Whatever. The 'Who would CHOOSE' argument doesn't hold water.

If people are poor, it's because they simply need to work HARDER. People make choices. They choose 'time with family' over 'out making money' or whatever.

People control how they react in the face of Racism or prejudice. They either sit back on their ass and scream 'victim' or they grab their coinpurse and DO something about their situation.

stephanie
09-19-2008, 09:46 PM
People pick LOTS of bad ideas. Drugs. Homosexuality. Street Racing. Whatever. The 'Who would CHOOSE' argument doesn't hold water.

If people are poor, it's because they simply need to work HARDER. People make choices. They choose 'time with family' over 'out making money' or whatever.

People control how they react in the face of Racism or prejudice. They either sit back on their ass and scream 'victim' or they grab their coinpurse and DO something about their situation.

:clap:

Immanuel
09-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I am privileged to be white and male for that matter. I'm sure in many respects my life has been easier because of those two factors.

So shoot me.

I don't dislike people of other colors. I try not to discriminate against them in any way. I'm most likely not always successful in that matter, but I do my best.

So shoot me.

Immie

09-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Im white and male and life has not been easier or privileged. Perhaps you could tell me what Im apparently missing.

Immanuel
09-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Im white and male and life has not been easier or privileged. Perhaps you could tell me what Im apparently missing.

You're privileged because you are an attorney. ;)

They don't need to fall back on being white or male.

I truly think that if you were to look back on your life and your family history, you will find that you are much better off than if you had been born black or female. Life would have been tougher for you.

I couldn't swear to that, but I'd say color does matter even today.

But, that is not our fault! Dagnamit!!

Immie

Yurt
09-19-2008, 10:35 PM

what about kids?

and so if we all 'work' harder, we will not be poor?

darin
09-20-2008, 06:59 AM
When people settle for the income they have, if that income is squat, they'll be poor. I've seen people with litterally no money and kids come to this country and 10 years later be making 6-digit incomes. People settle for their current state. That's the problem.

midcan5
09-20-2008, 08:22 AM
There is often a large divide between reality and a person's beliefs. If someone truly believes people select their lives then how does one explain the very clear statistics shown below. If you are a racist it is easy, but if you are not....

Unemployment Some observations:

1. The rate is always higher for blacks than for whites.
2. In most, but not all, cases the gap between whites and blacks is larger than the rate for whites.
3. There does appear to be a long-run decline in the gap since the early 1980s, but recently the decline has been reversed.
4. The gap follows the trend. When unemployment rises, for example, the gap rises indicating that the black unemployment rate rises faster than the white rate during recessions. This will also mean that the black rate will fall faster in recoveries. [Update: graph of black to white ratio: smaller, larger]
5. There is a clear difference in volatility. The series for whites is much smoother than the series for lacks.

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2006/01/black_and_white.html

PS I do not post things to get a kick, I post them for thought. Humor, hyperbole, and satire can be part of that attempt at thinking.

McCain entered Annapolis through rich man affirmative action for the connected. A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote for the privileged class.

Trigg
09-20-2008, 09:29 AM

rest here:

Teen pregnancy is going to happen, probably until the end of time. There is a huge difference between the black and white teen pregnancy rate and the black pregnancy rate as a total. Fully 70% of black births are to unmarried women, more than HALF. So yes, it points to social decay in the black community. One unwed pregnancy in a family is easier to overcome because the family can pull together. Generation after generation of teen pregnancy and unwed motherhood is harder to overcome and leads to poverty.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/prelimbirths05_tables.pdf#1

As for he attending different colleges, it does point to commitment to achieve. She could very easily have given up. She was married young and had children right away. She could have sat around and done nothing with her life. Instead she chose to attent college and better herself.

Yurt
09-20-2008, 11:59 AM
if obama were 100% white, would he still be the dem presidential candidate?

Wading back into the Democratic presidential race, billionaire businessman Bob Johnson told The Charlotte Observer that Sen. Barack Obama would not be his party's leading candidate if he were white.

http://binside.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/16/bob_johnson.jpg

Abbey Marie
09-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Midcan, you are not looking back far enough, in your efforts to claim whites are privileged (and racist). Go to any school function (parent's night, open house, parent/teacher meetings, concerts, volunteer functions, etc.), in a mixed race school. Guess who overwhelmingly fails to attend? I've seen it at every school our daughter has attended since 1st grade. People will not get good jobs if they don't have a good education. And if their parents don't care enough to make an effort, where will the kids get their incentive to value education enough to work hard at school?

Oh wait- are white people forcing parents to stay home?

Trigg
09-20-2008, 02:47 PM
People (usually libs) blather on about white privilege and the difference between whites, blacks, and hispanics. What about Asians and Indians.????? They also are a minority in this country, many are also recent immigrants. Why don't we hear about Asian ghettos, Asian unwed mothers and the income difference?????

Maybe because Asians and whites have the SAME percentage of unwed motherhood. We have almost the same income and unemployment.

Unwed motherhood and poverty tend to go hand in hand. Add a little apathy towards education and things just get worse.

CockySOB
09-20-2008, 06:54 PM

/salute

Silver
09-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Poor, poor leftards....always the victims....nothing is ever 'their' fault....someone fooled, lied to them, made them use drugs, took the jobs they were thinking about applying for, giving them bad grades, etc....
poor fucks...

Yurt
09-20-2008, 08:53 PM
People (usually libs) blather on about white privilege and the difference between whites, blacks, and hispanics. What about Asians and Indians.????? They also are a minority in this country, many are also recent immigrants. Why don't we hear about Asian ghettos, Asian unwed mothers and the income difference?????

Maybe because Asians and whites have the SAME percentage of unwed motherhood. We have almost the same income and unemployment.

Unwed motherhood and poverty tend to go hand in hand. Add a little apathy towards education and things just get worse.

oh absolutely. my wife is half east indian and half scot. besides making her look fine, gorgeous and tan all year round, she is of course not "white". get this....in college she lived with a black family in order (free) to save on rent and one night... race was brought up and she entered the conversation and mentioned that she had been subjected to racism (in canada and the US) solely for her skin tone......the nice black family said.....oh you have no idea about prejudice and racism, you just wouldn't understand and then promptly ignored her the rest of the conversation.

so i guess black folks have the monopoly on victimhood.....

Trigg
09-21-2008, 01:34 PM
oh absolutely. my wife is half east indian and half scot. besides making her look fine, gorgeous and tan all year round, she is of course not "white". get this....in college she lived with a black family in order (free) to save on rent and one night... race was brought up and she entered the conversation and mentioned that she had been subjected to racism (in canada and the US) solely for her skin tone......the nice black family said.....oh you have no idea about prejudice and racism, you just wouldn't understand and then promptly ignored her the rest of the conversation.

so i guess black folks have the monopoly on victimhood.....

She probably also found it harder to get grants for college because she wasn't a "disadvantaged" minority.

Libs need to realize that unwed motherhood, poor education and poverty go hand in hand. These are choices that poeple make......not the fault of white people.

Yurt
09-21-2008, 09:18 PM
She probably also found it harder to get grants for college because she wasn't a "disadvantaged" minority.

Libs need to realize that unwed motherhood, poor education and poverty go hand in hand. These are choices that poeple make......not the fault of white people.

she never applied or tried to get them, she personally disagrees with those types of grants.

Mr. P
09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I've been waiting ALL my life for this "white privilege, where can I get some?

emmett
09-21-2008, 09:32 PM
There is often a large divide between reality and a person's beliefs. If someone truly believes people select their lives then how does one explain the very clear statistics shown below. If you are a racist it is easy, but if you are not....

2. In most, but not all, cases the gap between whites and blacks is larger than the rate for whites.
3. There does appear to be a long-run decline in the gap since the early 1980s, but recently the decline has been reversed.
4. The gap follows the trend. When unemployment rises, for example, the gap rises indicating that the black unemployment rate rises faster than the white rate during recessions. This will also mean that the black rate will fall faster in recoveries. [Update: graph of black to white ratio: smaller, larger]
5. There is a clear difference in volatility. The series for whites is much smoother than the series for lacks.

PS I do not post things to get a kick, I post them for thought. Humor, hyperbole, and satire can be part of that attempt at thinking.

McCain entered Annapolis through rich man affirmative action for the connected. A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote for the privileged class.

Well then...here afre some more "humorous facts" for you!

Blacks sell more crack cocaine than whites per capita. Even though it is easier for a black to get ahead due to minority privledges, colleges acceptance programs and so forth, they still sell drugs at a rate of 4 to 1 over whites.

Blacks have more illigitimate children per capita. Even though it is easier for black to get ahead due to minority privledges, easier to get hired at a government job, more black women get pregnat out of wedlock than white women at a rate of 7 to 1

Blacks kill whites at such a rate higher than whites do blacks I won't even waste my time on that.

Black men rape white women at a rate 100 times white raping black women.

Blacks rob conveneiant stores ten times more often than whites do!

Take that crap and pack it up and take it with you!

Mr. P
09-21-2008, 09:44 PM

I didn't read the last sentence when you made this post until now because your posts are always BS..

Now that I did read that last sentence it verifies your posts are always BS.

You don't have a clue what it takes to get into one of the military academies, do you?

Trigg
09-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I didn't read the last sentence when you made this post until now because your posts are always BS..

Now that I did read that last sentence it verifies your posts are always BS.

You don't have a clue what it takes to get into one of the military academies, do you?

I missed that also.

My son is thinking about a military academy, we went to an information meeting a few weeks ago. OMG the planning, forms and time involved in just getting the recommendations and paperwork together is staggering. Not to mention the academic and physical requirements the academies require.