PDA

View Full Version : Would John McCain's Election Really Represent a Third Bush Term?

red states rule
09-20-2008, 08:57 AM
So much for the Obama talking point that McCain is a Bush third term

The numbers tell a different story

McCain a Bush clone? These numbers dispute that
John R. Lott Jr.

is a senior research scientist at the University of Maryland

Does John McCain represent a third Bush term? The Obama campaign claims the two are almost indistinguishable. It was the mantra during the Democratic convention, and it is the theme of new ads Barack Obama is running. The ads claim that McCain is "no maverick when he votes with Bush 90 percent of the time."

This week Obama has begun a constant refrain that there is "not a dime worth of difference" between Bush's and McCain's views. It is a consistent theme of Democratic pundits on talk shows.

Is this the same McCain who drove Republicans nuts on campaign finance, the environment, taxes, torture, immigration and more? Where has McCain not crossed swords with his own party?

As it's being used, the 90 percent figure, from Congressional Quarterly, is nonsensical. As Washington Post congressional reporter Jonathan Weisman explained, "The vast majority of those votes are procedural, and virtually every member of Congress votes with his or her leadership on procedural motions."

Obama might want to be a little careful with these attacks, as the same measure has him voting with Democrats 97 percent of the time.

Fortunately, a number of organizations on the left and right provide useful evaluations on how congressmen and senators vote each year. These conservative and liberal groups pick the votes they care about most and figure out how often lawmakers match up with their positions.

Well-known organizations that rank congressional voting include the American Conservative Union on the right, Americans for Democratic Action on the left, and the nonpartisan National Journal in the middle. The League of Conservation Voters also ranks politicians from an environmentalist position.

These groups' rankings from 2001 to 2007 paint fairly similar pictures, putting McCain to the left of most Republican senators and to the right of most Democratic senators - though usually much closer to the average Republican.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/McCain_a_Bush_clone_These_numbers_dispute_that.htm l

April15
09-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Why do we call him McBush? Yes it would be more of the same screw you I got mine attitude we have seen from Bush!

red states rule
09-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Why do we call him McBush? Yes it would be more of the same screw you I got mine attitude we have seen from Bush!

and what about Obama, your messiah?

Where has he differed with his party?

The answer is - he has not.

His lie about McCain has been exposed

09-20-2008, 10:50 AM

Arguing that Bush and McCain are alike is just dishonest. There is a reason why they had such a bitter race in 2000.

Immanuel
09-20-2008, 11:52 AM
and what about Obama, your messiah?

Where has he differed with his party?

The answer is - he has not.

His lie about McCain has been exposed

It is true, Obama has not differed from his party and to some that is what makes him... "the man". Philosophically the parties have big differences. But when you get down to practice... they are one in the same.

Immie

red states rule
09-20-2008, 01:03 PM
It is true, Obama has not differed from his party and to some that is what makes him... "the man". Philosophically the parties have big differences. But when you get down to practice... they are one in the same.

Immie

Lets see, libs loved McCain when he went against his party, but attack and smear Joe Lieberman when he goes against the Dem party

-Cp
09-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Why do we call him McBush?

Uhh... great question - why do libs allow themselves to easily drink the messiah's kool-aid?

April15
09-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Uhh... great question - why do libs allow themselves to easily drink the messiah's kool-aid?
I am an atheist so no messiah for me!

red states rule
09-20-2008, 06:22 PM
I am an atheist so no messiah for me!

OK, then like midcan and joe, you can use the Obama Kool Aid as bathwater

April15
09-20-2008, 07:45 PM
OK, then like midcan and joe, you can use the Obama Kool Aid as bathwaterThe water supplied by our system is some of the purest in the nation. Why would I shower in kool aid.

red states rule
09-21-2008, 05:13 AM
The water supplied by our system is some of the purest in the nation. Why would I shower in kool aid.

To be a good liberal and recycle the leftover Obama Kool Aid

bullypulpit
09-21-2008, 10:04 AM
So much for the Obama talking point that McCain is a Bush third term

The numbers tell a different story

McCain a Bush clone? These numbers dispute that
John R. Lott Jr.

is a senior research scientist at the University of Maryland

Does John McCain represent a third Bush term? The Obama campaign claims the two are almost indistinguishable. It was the mantra during the Democratic convention, and it is the theme of new ads Barack Obama is running. The ads claim that McCain is "no maverick when he votes with Bush 90 percent of the time."

This week Obama has begun a constant refrain that there is "not a dime worth of difference" between Bush's and McCain's views. It is a consistent theme of Democratic pundits on talk shows.

Is this the same McCain who drove Republicans nuts on campaign finance, the environment, taxes, torture, immigration and more? Where has McCain not crossed swords with his own party?

As it's being used, the 90 percent figure, from Congressional Quarterly, is nonsensical. As Washington Post congressional reporter Jonathan Weisman explained, "The vast majority of those votes are procedural, and virtually every member of Congress votes with his or her leadership on procedural motions."

Obama might want to be a little careful with these attacks, as the same measure has him voting with Democrats 97 percent of the time.

Fortunately, a number of organizations on the left and right provide useful evaluations on how congressmen and senators vote each year. These conservative and liberal groups pick the votes they care about most and figure out how often lawmakers match up with their positions.

Well-known organizations that rank congressional voting include the American Conservative Union on the right, Americans for Democratic Action on the left, and the nonpartisan National Journal in the middle. The League of Conservation Voters also ranks politicians from an environmentalist position.

These groups' rankings from 2001 to 2007 paint fairly similar pictures, putting McCain to the left of most Republican senators and to the right of most Democratic senators - though usually much closer to the average Republican.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/McCain_a_Bush_clone_These_numbers_dispute_that.htm l

Does that question really need to be asked...? Given his about face on issues like taxation, torture, the economy and more...siding with Bush on most of these issues, can you actually believe it won't be more of the same failed policies on the domestic and international fronts?

red states rule
09-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Does that question really need to be asked...? Given his about face on issues like taxation, torture, the economy and more...siding with Bush on most of these issues, can you actually believe it won't be more of the same failed policies on the domestic and international fronts?

The point is, Obama has voted with his party MORE then McCain has with Pres Bush

Where the hell is the change BP?