PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to the Bronx Dump

gabosaurus
09-21-2008, 03:08 PM
A lot is being made about today's final baseball game at Yankee Stadium. About all the "history" and "legends" of the venerable stadium. Paying precious little attention to the fact that the place is NOT the same as the original House That Ruth Built.
Yes, they completely redid the stadium a couple of decades ago. To little avail, since the place is now a dump. When I went there, I found it to be one of the worst venues to watch a game ever. There are no section markers, no row or seat designations. There are no ushers or signs. When I asked, I was rudely told that "everyone already knows where their seat is."
Goodbye Yankee Stadium. May you rot in peace. To be replaced by the Millionaire's Palace that New York Yankees fans deserve.

Mr. P
09-21-2008, 03:11 PM
A lot is being made about today's final baseball game at Yankee Stadium. About all the "history" and "legends" of the venerable stadium. Paying precious little attention to the fact that the place is NOT the same as the original House That Ruth Built.
Yes, they completely redid the stadium a couple of decades ago. To little avail, since the place is now a dump. When I went there, I found it to be one of the worst venues to watch a game ever. There are no section markers, no row or seat designations. There are no ushers or signs. When I asked, I was rudely told that "everyone already knows where their seat is."
Goodbye Yankee Stadium. May you rot in peace. To be replaced by the Millionaire's Palace that New York Yankees fans deserve.

NYC folks are assholes.

jimnyc
09-21-2008, 04:44 PM

There ARE section markers and there ARE seat designations. I was led to my seat by ushers each and every time I attended a game, which was MANY over the years. The place is run down and old, hence the need for a new stadium, but it's far from a dump. The surrounding neighborhood is the dump! But none of that changes the fact that so much baseball history has happened there. There's probably more history there than all the other MLB teams combined. And let's not forget the historic football games and boxing matches that were held there. And I'm a Dodgers fan.

NYC folks are assholes.

Thanks! :)

Mr. P
09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
There ARE section markers and there ARE seat designations. I was led to my seat by ushers each and every time I attended a game, which was MANY over the years. The place is run down and old, hence the need for a new stadium, but it's far from a dump. The surrounding neighborhood is the dump! But none of that changes the fact that so much baseball history has happened there. There's probably more history there than all the other MLB teams combined. And let's not forget the historic football games and boxing matches that were held there. And I'm a Dodgers fan.

Thanks! :)

There are a few exceptions..few.:laugh2:

gabosaurus
09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Wrigley and Fenway are old, but they are hardly dumps. Yankee Stadium is a dump. And all the "historic events" that you refer to were held in the OLD Yankee Stadium. Not the remodeled stadium.
Good luck seeing a game in the new Yankee Stadium. The ticket prices will be the most expensive in baseball.

Abbey Marie
09-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Gabby, I grew up looking out my apartment bedroom window at the lights of that stadium. Yes, I lived in a dump, but the stadium was beautiful to see. I think it's sad to see it go, and I don't like baseball at all.

Sitarro
09-21-2008, 07:25 PM

I can't imagine how much it must suck to live with you. Maybe you should look into a very high dose of Prozac............ very high.

jimnyc
09-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Wrigley and Fenway are old, but they are hardly dumps. Yankee Stadium is a dump. And all the "historic events" that you refer to were held in the OLD Yankee Stadium. Not the remodeled stadium.
Good luck seeing a game in the new Yankee Stadium. The ticket prices will be the most expensive in baseball.

First off, I noticed you didn't counter the fact that the stadium DOES have section and seat designations. How you missed them is beyond me.

Secondly, there is no "old" stadium. The foundation remains the same. The outfield section of the stadium was changed and the playing surface was lowered a few feet (if I recall correctly). Not to mention they re-used almost everything they pulled down as part of the changes.

No offense, but you don't understand sports, stadiums and the connection the fans feel. The Steelers could have played at 3 rivers stadium for the next 500 years and left it falling apart, and I would have happily paid the highest in the league to see their games there.

Also, there WERE quite a few boxing matches, football games and other gatherings at Yankee Stadium, including 2 Popes. The history ALL took place within the same parameters inside the stadium, and I stand by my statement that more has happened within those walls than all the other MLB teams combined.

hjmick
09-22-2008, 10:18 AM
First off, I noticed you didn't counter the fact that the stadium DOES have section and seat designations. How you missed them is beyond me.

Must be the blinders she wears. ;)

jimnyc
09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey Gabs, is this the seat designations and section designations that you claimed didn't exist? I know there is a lot of crime in NYC, but I doubt someone stole all the signs before your visit!!

Trigg
09-22-2008, 12:57 PM

I'm glad your happy living in your California McMansion. It must be nice living in a place with no historic buildings to clutter up the steel and glass structures.

gabosaurus
09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
We were sitting on the first level. The 100 level. Not the season ticket box seats where the ushers were. If you are walking through the concourse, there are no designations where each section is. The rows are designated by very small placards on seats, many if which are obscured by arms or otherwise.
We saw no ushers outside of the box seats behind the plate. We asked a police officer, but he told us "do I look like an usher to you?"
New Yorkers are generally very rude and obnoxious people. It's not like that in Boston, Chicago or St. Louis.

jimnyc
09-22-2008, 04:18 PM
We were sitting on the first level. The 100 level. Not the season ticket box seats where the ushers were. If you are walking through the concourse, there are no designations where each section is. The rows are designated by very small placards on seats, many if which are obscured by arms or otherwise.
We saw no ushers outside of the box seats behind the plate. We asked a police officer, but he told us "do I look like an usher to you?"
New Yorkers are generally very rude and obnoxious people. It's not like that in Boston, Chicago or St. Louis.

Attached to this post are 3 pictures of the concourse level at Yankee stadium showing the sections clearly designated. Sorry you missed them!

Each and every seat in the entire stadium has a row and seat number. I apologize on behalf of all NY'ers that they weren't large enough for your liking!

hjmick
09-22-2008, 04:30 PM

Really? That has not been my experience when in New York. I've always had a pleasant experience with the natives.

jackass
09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Ive never been to a Yankee game. Now I will never see the house that Ruth built. :(