PDA

View Full Version : Does Hawthorn have a chance against Geelong?

gabosaurus
09-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Heading up to this weekend's Grand Final (the Super Bowl of Australian Football), I was wondering if Geelong can be beaten. They are playing like a machine at this point.

diuretic
09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
This has the potential to be a great game. The two best teams made it - and both deserve to be there without question. Hawthorn definitely has a chance. They hammered St Kilda even though Franklin at full forward was held to just one goal. The signal there is that they've got depth in the centre and up front. They won't be able to rely on Franklin so it's good for the Hawks that they have that depth. The main reason is that Geelong has the best defence in the competition. I'd go for Geelong by two goals, they're just too good, too consistent and as you say, like a well-oiled machine. They're not finals nervous - a full MCG must be an awesome spectacle - and I think they'll get the better of Hawthorn. I just want it to be a great game though.

gabosaurus
09-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Very good analysis there. From what I was reading in The Age (one of the world's great newspapers, IMHO), it should be a outstanding Final. Hopefully more competitive that last year's Final was.
I got to attend a Boxing Day test match at the MCG a few years back. It was a magnificent sight. I can only imagine how exciting this week is for Aussie footy fans.
I only wish the game was available in the states. When I was in school, there was a contingent of Aussie students who would rent out a facility, get the Grand Final on satellite and drink incredible amounts of grog. :D

diuretic
09-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Caroline Wilson, who writes for The Age, is an excellent footbal writer, I really enjoy listening to her when she speaks on radio. Yes, it is a fine newspaper.

It will a huge weekend in Melbourne. Because it's two Victorian teams the rest of us are sort of not that intereste....but as I said, I just want to see a good game.

I thought it would be available on cable in North America - or even on the net, but I never know what the AFL is going to do about those rights, it's all about money of course.

Oh the grog, yes, mustn't forget that :cheers2: