PDA

View Full Version : If you could bring only 1 thing

Abbey Marie
09-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Here's the scenario:

You are going to a desert island for a very long time. Food, water and shelter will not be a problem, but there is nothing else on the island but trees and sandy beaches. No power whatsoever, and no possibility of it. No other people or animals are there.

What one thing (as much if it as you want), do you decide to bring?

Bringing a person, a pet, or any light- or power- producing item (generators, solar panels, flashlight, candles, matches, etc., etc. ) are not allowed. No boat-building materials or tools. No flares, etc.

Please no clever answers to get around this rule. I am essentially looking for what one item you would bring to comfort you over a very long, very lonely, time.

Side note: What made me think of this, was a story about Hurricane Ike. People who refused to leave Galveston were interviewed. One woman said that she put a few things in a plastic baggie to protect them during the storm.

What precious items were in that baggie? Not family pictures or batteries. Not food.

She decided to protect some cash, her credit cards, and... her cigarettes.

retiredman
09-22-2008, 01:29 PM
my Bible

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 01:38 PM
One (1) large library that would include books on everything.:salute:

hjmick
09-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Books.

I cannot live without books.
-Thomas Jefferson

Missileman
09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Would a fishing rod and tackle be against your rules?

Noir
09-22-2008, 02:36 PM
I would hoestly just take a knife, I couldn't live if there was no one else around and I wouldn't wana die by drowing.

As for the hurricain woman, that's crazy, I hope her cigarets and cash got soaked.

darin
09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Wow. Good thread.

First reply was going to be "Abbey"...then I kept reading... :p

Food is provided? Not another living soul though?

That'd just about equate to hell for me. I won't answer yet, but Noir's answer is compelling... :-/

Yurt
09-22-2008, 03:40 PM
bible

darin
09-22-2008, 04:13 PM
I might bring a survival guide of some sort - or - a comprehensive first aid kit? If it's a temporary thing - and if Abbey's rules allow, I'd bring my camera equipment (including scores of memory cards and batteries a-plenty). I'd document each day. Each hour. I'd try to find ways of taking a photo of the same subject from a unique perspective.

I'd personally draw little comfort from anything - but having a way to document my adventure would help me to remember what I've learned in my time alone.

If the camera equipment doesn't meet the rules - how about Paper/journal and Writing utensils?

jimnyc
09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Pictures of my family and doggy's, and maybe a few boobie shots since you mention I'll be lonely.

AllieBaba
09-22-2008, 05:36 PM
My bible.
Hopefully it's waterproof.

April15
09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
A good book of fiction, like a bible.

Trigg
09-22-2008, 05:49 PM
first aid kit....lots of little nasties on deserted islands.

books

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 05:50 PM
A good book of fiction

Typical liberal..living on fiction alone. :laugh2:

manu1959
09-22-2008, 05:56 PM
music....somehow my music......

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 06:02 PM
You folks aren't thinking!

AFbombloader
09-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Since this is an island, and I would be alone and bored, I would bring a surfboard (assuming there is surf).

darin
09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
A good book of fiction, like a bible.

Nobody is laughing with you. People pity you. :-/

Kathianne
09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
music....somehow my music......

Fully loaded ipod. ;)

AFbombloader
09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Fully loaded ipod. ;)

Good for what, maybe 8 hours? Bring a guitar and make your own music.

09-22-2008, 06:22 PM
tough choice. id have to say paper and pens.

Immanuel
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
You said no boat building materials, but you didn't say no boat. I'd bring a sailboat. After about 30 minutes I would be dying to get off.

If you say that I can't bring a sailboat, then I want to know if there is such thing as a solar powered laptop with one of the broadband cards built in. That would take care of reading material and Bible all in one.

Immie

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
You said no boat building materials, but you didn't say no boat. I'd bring a sailboat. After about 30 minutes I would be dying to get off.

If you say that I can't bring a sailboat, then I want to know if there is such thing as a solar powered laptop with one of the broadband cards built in. That would take care of reading material and Bible all in one.

Immie

True...until the hard drive fails. :slap:

Yer welcome to visit my library...it's all here.:salute:

hjmick
09-22-2008, 07:55 PM
On second thought... I'd bring a boat.

Abbey Marie
09-22-2008, 08:18 PM
No boats. Sorry! You must stay on that lonely island at all times.

April15
09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Typical liberal..living on fiction alone. :laugh2:I am not a libby. I am an atheist and realist. Non fiction science is what i read.

April15
09-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Nobody is laughing with you. People pity you. :-/Why would anyone laugh or pity me? If they pity me then they have misplaced their compassion and I did not make a funny to laugh at.

April15
09-22-2008, 08:49 PM
A mirror to signal for rescue?

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I've changed my mind.

I want a lifetime supply of denture adhesive.

All that food doesn't matter if I can't keep me teeth in. :cheers2:

Gaffer
09-22-2008, 09:45 PM
cigarettes.

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 09:51 PM
cigarettes.

How do ya light em?

Gaffer
09-22-2008, 10:25 PM
How do ya light em?

By whatever means I cook the food.

manu1959
09-22-2008, 10:28 PM

Immie

she said no electicity or solar power.....

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 10:33 PM
By whatever means I cook the food.

She said the food was provided..nothing about fire... Hummm

ABBEY, do we have raw food or cooked?

Abbey Marie
09-22-2008, 11:03 PM
A mirror to signal for rescue?

Did you read the whole first post? The idea was not to try to be clever about bringing things to be rescued. The idea is that you understand that you will be there for a long time no matter what, and to bring something that will comfort you while you are there.

Abbey Marie
09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
She said the food was provided..nothing about fire... Hummm

ABBEY, do we have raw food or cooked?

I didn't think about cigarettes when I said no matches or fire. I just didn't want people trying to be rescued by using them. I'm really just trying to get at what one thing people would find most comforting if they had no human or even animal contact for a long time, and no means of rescue.

Gaffer
09-23-2008, 06:55 AM
I didn't think about cigarettes when I said no matches or fire. I just didn't want people trying to be rescued by using them. I'm really just trying to get at what one thing people would find most comforting if they had no human or even animal contact for a long time, and no means of rescue.

Damn logistics. Can't plan a simple island stranding with them getting in the way.

To me cigarettes are relaxing and taste good and would get me through the time period.

Noir
09-23-2008, 08:08 AM
and yourself abbey?

Immanuel
09-23-2008, 08:19 AM
she said no electicity or solar power.....

She did? No sun?

Then what the heck difference does it all make. In just a few minutes, I'd freeze to death so what the heck?

No, she said no solar panels.

Immie

namvet
09-23-2008, 09:02 AM
http://www.hellenic-charters.gr/yacht-charter-greece/Yacht-Charter-Greece-Photos/Jenneau%20Catamarans/Lagoon%20440/lagoon440-cruising1.jpg

wonder what those stranded men need????

http://www.webstockpro.com/Comp/Fancy/FAN2032202.jpg

Abbey Marie
09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
I think the Bible, because it tells me I am not alone no matter where I am.
I would find that very comforting.

One of my favorite parts of the Bible, Psalm 139, in part:

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

Since we can bring a lot of whatever it is, I would also bring LOTR, and many other books that are great for re-reading.
I would sneak a picture of my husband and daughter in as my bookmark. :)

Abbey Marie
09-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Kathianne, Stephanie, Fuzzy, Gabby, Trigg, Trinity, Mundame, mrskurtsprincess, JohnDoe, Liberalnation, etc.- let's hear what the women folk would bring...

Mr. P
09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Kathianne, Stephanie, Fuzzy, Gabby, Trigg, Trinity, Mundame, mrskurtsprincess, JohnDoe, Liberalnation, etc.- let's hear what the women folk would bring...

A mirror of course! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
09-23-2008, 04:25 PM
A mirror of course! :laugh2:

:slap: :laugh2:

April15
09-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Did you read the whole first post? The idea was not to try to be clever about bringing things to be rescued. The idea is that you understand that you will be there for a long time no matter what, and to bring something that will comfort you while you are there.I read the first post but got carried away with my fiction thing and forgot the rules of engagement. I'm sorry.

Said1
09-23-2008, 08:06 PM
It would be a toss between books and my mp3 player - that could fit in my bra, though. :laugh2:

Lots pens and lots of paper would be good, living vicariously through fictional characters might be comforting too?

retiredman
09-23-2008, 09:22 PM
It would be a toss between books and my mp3 player - that could fit in my bra, though. :laugh2:

Lots pens and lots of paper would be good, living vicariously through fictional characters might be comforting too?

how would you charge your mp3 player? or would you "ration out" your music to last you for years?

manu1959
09-23-2008, 10:22 PM

feminine hygiene products................

YamiB.
09-29-2008, 11:10 PM
My first instinct would be a good Go set, but it probably wouldn't be that great with nobody else to play against. I think I might go with the Go board anyway because I could get some enjoyment playing myself, hopefully the isolation would make me go crazy enough that I could enjoy a game against myself. I guess I could bring a favorite book, but there's only so many times you can read a book.

namvet
09-30-2008, 08:01 AM
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodpri2/V269830.jpg

Abbey Marie
09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Namvet, the rules say NO people.

Try again.

namvet
09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Namvet, the rules say NO people.

Try again.

ah ummm well SHE'S INFLATABLE !!!!!:lol:

darin
09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
I think the Bible, because it tells me I am not alone no matter where I am.
I would find that very comforting.

One of my favorite parts of the Bible, Psalm 139, in part:

...but you KNOW that already, ya know? That's why I didn't opt for Bible. I figure, God is much bigger than the Bible; I want to know MORE about Him - I want to interact with Him on a PERSONAL level.

There isn't much in the bible that can help me; the bible is just words on paper. However, a real, tangible relationship with him would sustain me.

Make sense?

Abbey Marie
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
...but you KNOW that already, ya know? That's why I didn't opt for Bible. I figure, God is much bigger than the Bible; I want to know MORE about Him - I want to interact with Him on a PERSONAL level.

There isn't much in the bible that can help me; the bible is just words on paper. However, a real, tangible relationship with him would sustain me.

Make sense?

It's like re-reading love letters. You already know the person loves you, but it is comforting to see it in writing, over an over as needed.

Abbey Marie
09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
ah ummm well SHE'S INFLATABLE !!!!!:lol:

She looks quite human and real to me.

darin
09-30-2008, 01:24 PM
It's like re-reading love letters. You already know the person loves you, but it is comforting to see it in writing, over an over as needed.

I think I'd find that same comfort in my photography. I honestly have trouble feeling as if the Bible, or large portions thereof, was written 'to' me or 'for' me. I've been reading and thinking "...this doesn't make sense; this must have been written for a specific reason - not a generalization of how things must be today." Make sense?

Abbey Marie
06-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Here’s an oldie that was fun for me. Anyone newer, etc., want to opine?

aboutime
06-02-2018, 10:10 PM
A chemical, in a drug bottle that ONE DROP makes Salt Water....drinkable.

revelarts
06-02-2018, 11:14 PM
id agree with a lot of folks here and go with a Bible as part of a vast library of books.

if could bring 2 other things it'd probably be unlimited soap.
And 6 dogs. 3 male and 3 female.

Outside of some horrible disease or accident i'd be set with those.

SassyLady
06-02-2018, 11:34 PM
Books.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Here's the scenario:

You are going to a desert island for a very long time. Food, water and shelter will not be a problem, but there is nothing else on the island but trees and sandy beaches. No power whatsoever, and no possibility of it. No other people or animals are there.

What one thing (as much if it as you want), do you decide to bring?

Bringing a person, a pet, or any light- or power- producing item (generators, solar panels, flashlight, candles, matches, etc., etc. ) are not allowed. No boat-building materials or tools. No flares, etc.

Please no clever answers to get around this rule. I am essentially looking for what one item you would bring to comfort you over a very long, very lonely, time.

Side note: What made me think of this, was a story about Hurricane Ike. People who refused to leave Galveston were interviewed. One woman said that she put a few things in a plastic baggie to protect them during the storm.

What precious items were in that baggie? Not family pictures or batteries. Not food.

She decided to protect some cash, her credit cards, and... her cigarettes.
A telescope.

Gunny
06-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Given the parameters, one would not survive. Intellectual idealism is not a means of physical survival.

Abbey Marie
06-03-2018, 05:04 PM
A telescope.

I like this idea!

High_Plains_Drifter
06-03-2018, 05:16 PM
I like this idea!
Yeah I mean if you're stranded on an island out in the middle of nowhere away from city lights, the star gazing would have to be amazing.

I have a friend that used to have this little farm way up on the ridge away from lights, just pitch black at night, and we'd have cook outs and get togethers up there at night, and when you stepped away from the campfire to relieve your bladder, I've never seen the Milky Way in such splendor. It was amazing. A telescope up there would have been awesome too.

Venus is the brightest object in the night sky other than the moon, and I look at look at that with just binoculars and it's cool. Unfortunately I don't have a good telescope, but I've often thought of buying one. My older brother made a telescope one time. Got it as a kit and had to polish the mirror himself, a reflector telescope. He did a good job because we star gazed with that for years, until he got a new refractor. Endless fun.

Abbey Marie
06-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Yeah I mean if you're stranded on an island out in the middle of nowhere away from city lights, the star gazing would have to be amazing.

I have a friend that used to have this little farm way up on the ridge away from lights, just pitch black at night, and we'd have cook outs and get together up there at night, and when you stepped away from the campfire to relieve your bladder, I've never seen the Milky Way in such splendor. It was amazing. A telescope up there would have been awesome too.

Venus is the brightest object in the night sky other than the moon, and I look at look at that with just binoculars and it's cool. Unfortunately I don't have a good telescope, but I've often thought of buying one. My older brother made a telescope one time. Got it as a kit and had to polish the mirror himself, a reflector telescope. He did a good job because we star gazed with that for years, until he got a new refractor. Endless fun.

Also for spotting whales and ships in the far distance?

High_Plains_Drifter
06-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Also for spotting whales and ships in the far distance?
Absolutely... so you know when to light your signal fire... :thumb:

SassyLady
06-04-2018, 04:25 PM
My place is so far away from town it's pitch black here every night except during full moon. I'll lay outside on chaise lounge and marvel at stars. However, wish I knew which ones were satellites. It's like ... where did that star come from? :confused:

aboutime
06-04-2018, 07:31 PM
My place is so far away from town it's pitch black here every night except during full moon. I'll lay outside on chaise lounge and marvel at stars. However, wish I knew which ones were satellites. It's like ... where did that star come from? :confused:

Now, as you describe marveling at ALL THOSE STARS. Maybe you understand how us Old Sailors could miss going to sea. People need to see the Night Sky like you do...at sea, on a clear, moonless night. THERE IS NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT. Honestly!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8230/8386815504_2bd6d88bb7_b.jpg
WHY I MISS THE QUIET BEAUTY SO MUCH!

NT'sGirl
06-04-2018, 10:36 PM
Paint, brushes and stuff to paint on. Pencils, paper to write on. Any books all books, I have spent may days with out people I never got bored. After a month you start making friends with the bugs.

revelarts
06-04-2018, 10:48 PM
Here's the scenario:

Given the parameters, one would not survive. Intellectual idealism is not a means of physical survival.

What's missing for survival here?
Outside of the isolation playing on one's mind.