PDA

View Full Version : So how's your IRA/401K etc going?

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Just wondering...Me, I've lost 30K in my 401 since the end of December not including what may have been lost today.

I'm staying in though, at least for a few more days.

How about you?

Kathianne
09-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Just wondering...Me, I've lost 30K in my 401 since the end of December not including what may have been lost today.

How about you?
I haven't looked and have no intention of doing so. When I need it, well then what's there is there.

Mr. P
09-22-2008, 07:46 PM
I haven't looked and have no intention of doing so. When I need it, well then what's there is there.

I hope social security is still there...we may really need it.

I've accepted having to work until I die.

Kathianne
09-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I hope social security is still there...we may really need it.

I've accepted having to work until I die.

Me too, but I hope it's not way past when. I'm pretty lucky though, I've got good friends and relatives, at least unless I get really sick. ;) I know I can't afford what my parents went through, I accept that and am making choices to avoid those problems.

Immanuel
09-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Like Kathianne I am not looking.

I'm not planning on touching it anyway so I am ignoring it.

The worse time to make a move is when you and other investors are panicing.

Immie

mundame
09-23-2008, 08:59 AM

How about you?

You OPEN your quarterly report envelope???????????

Darn, Mr. P, that's just masochistic.

File them carefully in a dark folder at the back of the cabinet; we've got troubles enough this September without actually opening and looking at the things.

Mr. P
09-23-2008, 09:11 AM
You OPEN your quarterly report envelope???????????

Darn, Mr. P, that's just masochistic.

File them carefully in a dark folder at the back of the cabinet; we've got troubles enough this September without actually opening and looking at the things.

:laugh2:

SO true!

Nukeman
09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Best time to buy!!!!!! When everything tanks, its cheap....... "sometimes":coffee:

mundame
09-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Best time to buy!!!!!! When everything tanks, its cheap....... "sometimes":coffee:

Don't be a hero and call the bottom, though --- old Wall Street saying.

Even if all this cleanup works, it took a year for the market to bottom, and two years for the economy to bottom --- after the S&L failures and the fix they put in place then.

So stocks may well get quite a bit lower yet.

Mr. P
09-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Don't be a hero and call the bottom, though --- old Wall Street saying.

Even if all this cleanup works, it took a year for the market to bottom, and two years for the economy to bottom --- after the S&L failures and the fix they put in place then.

So stocks may well get quite a bit lower yet.

Tis why I'm thinking of parking in some stable corner till the up-tic.

April15
09-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Must be nice to have been over paid so you could put some away.

red states rule
09-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Beats sitting on your ass and blaming others for your failures in life

09-23-2008, 06:52 PM
i dont have money to put in a 401K so im not really concerned right now.

manu1959
09-23-2008, 07:10 PM

so being succesfull is overpaid....

April15
09-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Beats sitting on your ass and blaming others for your failures in lifeBush has been a failure throughout his life and is fairly wealthy so failure does not equate broke.

April15
09-23-2008, 08:51 PM
so being succesfull is overpaid....It would depend on what you mean by successful.

red states rule
09-23-2008, 08:58 PM
It would depend on what you mean by successful.

That is something you will never know

and you will continue to blame Pres Reagan for it

April15
09-24-2008, 06:20 PM
That is something you will never know

and you will continue to blame Pres Reagan for it

Success can be measured in many ways. From your reply and reference to RR I will presume your version of success is monetary.
Success can also be had in a virtuous life, which is counter to monetary success, you need to be ethical.
Success could also be measured by how much good you inflict upon society and others without regard for your betterment.
Success can even be measured by how honest you have been to others in business when an opportunity for excess profit arises.
In short You will only have the first success in life while I enjoy the last three, which are so much more meaningful when you die.

Mr. P
09-24-2008, 06:33 PM

I have never been over paid.

manu1959
09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Bush has been a failure throughout his life and is fairly wealthy so failure does not equate broke.

he is doing better than you........

manu1959
09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
It would depend on what you mean by successful.

"Must be nice to have been over paid so you could put some away."

"Success can be measured in many ways. From your reply and reference to RR I will presume your version of success is monetary. "

seems you defined it as monetary....and claimed that investing was being overpaid.....

Kathianne
09-24-2008, 06:42 PM
I have never been over paid.

Only once have I been overpaid, when I worked in a car wash, my first year of college. 1974, made $8.00 per hour, averaged $10 hour tips. It probably helped I wore short shorts and a halter. ;)

April15
09-24-2008, 07:02 PM
"Must be nice to have been over paid so you could put some away."

"Success can be measured in many ways. From your reply and reference to RR I will presume your version of success is monetary. "

seems you defined it as monetary....and claimed that investing was being overpaid.....The context the words are pulled from indicate otherwise. Nice try.

manu1959
09-24-2008, 07:04 PM
The context the words are pulled from indicate otherwise. Nice try.

you really don't lie well...........

Kathianne
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
you really don't lie well...........

Too true. When he made lots, it was easy to be a 'liberal.' Now that he's 'not' he is looking for the liberals to bail his ass out. From what I can tell, since his business dived, he's been on the pity pot.

April15
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
you really don't lie well...........The context is in response to this "Beats sitting on your ass and blaming others for your failures in life" which came from RSR.

manu1959
09-24-2008, 07:09 PM
The context is in response to this "Beats sitting on your ass and blaming others for your failures in life" which came from RSR.

still doesn't alter your claim that being able to invest is being overpaid....

namvet
09-24-2008, 08:22 PM
mine pulls me out when it drops. then back in on gains. a saftey net.

April15
09-24-2008, 09:04 PM
still doesn't alter your claim that being able to invest is being overpaid....The only people who invest are those with excess income. That is being overpaid.

Mr. P
09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
The only people who invest are those with excess income. That is being overpaid.

Excess income is a function of personal budget in that regard.

It's not rocket science to save money and invest it for yer future.

It all goes back to that personal responsibility thing.

manu1959
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
just watched a three hour webcast from my financial advisor......

the bad news is my account is down...the good news it is only down 11% as i am properly deversified.....

projections are liquidity will be restored to the market in the next six months.....full recovery by the end of 2010.....most financial institution are sound...it is only a few that are in dire straights......more capital has been added to the market than the loss realized to date.....and the govt bail out will ensure a sound market.....a falling dollar has made the us the number one exporter in the world.....

Yurt
09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
just watched a three hour webcast from my financial advisor......

the bad news is my account is down...the good news it is only down 11% as i am properly deversified.....

projections are liquidity will be restored to the market in the next six months.....full recovery by the end of 2010.....most financial institution are sound...it is only a few that are in dire straights......more capital has been added to the market than the loss realized to date.....and the govt bail out will ensure a sound market.....a falling dollar has made the us the number one exporter in the world.....

interesting. thanks.

question - if more capital, ie, paper capital, is put into a market and that which supports the paper continues to fall, can the market sustain itself simply because the government backing that paper promises there will be more paper?

manu1959
09-24-2008, 11:01 PM
interesting. thanks.

question - if more capital, ie, paper capital, is put into a market and that which supports the paper continues to fall, can the market sustain itself simply because the government backing that paper promises there will be more paper?

there is 370 billion in non govt backed capital so far against 340 billon in losses so far.....the 700 the govt is talking about is secured by hard assets, stocks and potentialy insured so it is not a printing paper exercise.....

also by comparison....in 1990 and the s&l crisis how many s&ls did the govt take over, fund bail out.....how many banks failed and how billions were written off.....

Yurt
09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
QUOTE=manu1959;300591]there is 370 billion in non govt backed capital so far against 340 billon in losses so far.....the 700 the govt is talking about is secured by hard assets, stocks and potentialy insured so it is not a printing paper exercise.....

stocks are not paper? the insured stocks are secured by what?

also by comparison....in 1990 and the s&l crisis how many s&ls did the govt take over, fund bail out.....how many banks failed and how billions were written off.....

i don't know. is this the same then?