PDA

View Full Version : Hacked

jimnyc
01-05-2007, 09:02 AM
My account/sites were definitely hacked and deleted. If anyone knows who, why, how or anything about this, please let me know. I'm a bit unsure as to who would want to kill a newly upstarted forum.

As it was new, I didn't take proper precautions. It's being done this time around...

KarlMarx
01-05-2007, 11:15 AM
My account/sites were definitely hacked and deleted. If anyone knows who, why, how or anything about this, please let me know. I'm a bit unsure as to who would want to kill a newly upstarted forum.

As it was new, I didn't take proper precautions. It's being done this time around...
passwords should include numerics and mixed case, if possible and should be changed on a regular basis, they also should not include your name, the name of your dog, your birthday, etc. they should also not be something cute like "im2sexy", because hackers have programs that have a list of those types of passwords, so it will be easy to get in.

usa78POOR --- an example of a "strong" password (mixed case, uses numerics, can't be guessed)

I've seen cases where passwords are nothing more than random letters and numbers. Those are better yet, but very hard to remember (unless you store them on a spreadsheet on a password protected thumbdrive, which one security consultant once recommended to a class I attended).

this is an example of a very strong password ... u8PQ5r45

I've also heard of a company named US Biometrics, that has a device that generates passwords based on your thumbprint... I'm not certain how well their product works.

jimnyc
01-05-2007, 12:02 PM
All excellent suggestions, Mr. Marx!

I did have what I thought was a good password. It had upper and lower case characters, 2 numbers & 2 symbols. Although never changed, it was only a few weeks old since it's a new site.

Obviously further precautions will be in place to try and prevent this in the future.

mrg666
01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
All excellent suggestions, Mr. Marx!

I did have what I thought was a good password. It had upper and lower case characters, 2 numbers & 2 symbols. Although never changed, it was only a few weeks old since it's a new site.

Obviously further precautions will be in place to try and prevent this in the future.

as silly as it sounds (if you havent already
do a keylogger search some of these things are nasty
they can even set them to mail the logged txts to them or worse acces via trojan im probably telling you something you already know but to be safe :)

mrg666
01-05-2007, 03:53 PM
well i got 9 rep points more than i had (sorry)

Abbey Marie
01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
:mad:

Pale Rider
01-06-2007, 12:55 AM
It's the new speaker of the house, liberal bitch pelosi, and I'm on my over there as we speak to kick her ass... :mad:

Mr. P
01-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Jim....you say don't bookmark by IP but that's all I see in the address box.

Dilloduck
01-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Jim....you say don't bookmark by IP but that's all I see in the address box.

ditto

Mr. P
01-06-2007, 10:11 AM
And.. at the old address I get

Not Found
The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

No link here.

jimnyc
01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
The site is only reachable right now by the 'temporary' address. Once propagation is complete, you'll once again be able to reach the site by going to debatepolicy.com

Although the site will always load via this temporary address, I would prefer obviously that everyone comes through the proper domain name when it properly resolves to my site.

Mr. P
01-06-2007, 10:29 AM
The site is only reachable right now by the 'temporary' address. Once propagation is complete, you'll once again be able to reach the site by going to debatepolicy.com

Although the site will always load via this temporary address, I would prefer obviously that everyone comes through the proper domain name when it properly resolves to my site.

IC..thanks

Insein
01-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Damn liberal Hackers are out to get you, Jim. ;)

KitchenKitten99
01-06-2007, 07:50 PM
I was wondering what was going on when I couldn't get in yesterday. I just assumed you were upgrading or something that I hadn't seen any announcements about.

Gaffer
01-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I thought something was wrong with the board. Thought maybe something went wrong in the change over or in upgrading. When it still wasn't connecting after five hours I got on Evils other board to ask what happened.

Anyone that goes to any other boards might look for signs of someone bragging about this one being down. Might be lead to who did it.