PDA

View Full Version : A question for those with shocking personalities...

KitchenKitten99
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Or, anyone else who knows about electrical stuff and small appliances.

I had a hair dryer that got submerged completely in water, for at least 20 minutes. It was NOT plugged in. My 5yo thought he'd plug the sink in the bathroom, and play with his toy boat. Well, he let the water run, and then left the room. It overflowed and ran into the drawers in the vanity below.

So I pulled it out, and just set it out and let the water drain, and I put a fan on it for two days. I then just put it back in the drawer after that. This was a week ago. Now I need to use it, but I am afraid.

Is it safe to use now?

Mr. P
09-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Or, anyone else who knows about electrical stuff and small appliances.

I had a hair dryer that got submerged completely in water, for at least 20 minutes. It was NOT plugged in. My 5yo thought he'd plug the sink in the bathroom, and play with his toy boat. Well, he let the water run, and then left the room. It overflowed and ran into the drawers in the vanity below.

So I pulled it out, and just set it out and let the water drain, and I put a fan on it for two days. I then just put it back in the drawer after that. This was a week ago. Now I need to use it, but I am afraid.

Is it safe to use now?

It may not be dry inside, Fuzzy. The hubby (or you) should remove the cover to be sure..I'd even dry it without the cover on for a couple hrs. to be sure before you plug er in an turn it on.

April15
09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Use a gfi circuit to plug it in and let it rip. If it doesn't trip the gfi it's good to go!Ground fault circuit interupter.

KitchenKitten99
09-24-2008, 11:08 AM
I had my husband try it out in the bathroom where we have the GFI's. The dryer itself has one on it's plug too.

It works fine. I was just afraid it would spark or something.

Gaffer
09-24-2008, 12:36 PM
The water most like will have corroded the parts inside and it will eventually just die on you. But it should work fine until then.

If you have to test something like this again put on rubber gloves and rubber soled shoes then test it. If it sparks throw it away.

KitchenKitten99
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
The water most like will have corroded the parts inside and it will eventually just die on you. But it should work fine until then.

If you have to test something like this again put on rubber gloves and rubber soled shoes then test it. If it sparks throw it away.

yeah, I thought about doing that. Problem is we don't have any rubber gloves.

If it dies on me, no real big deal since I don't use it more than once a week. I have another type of styling dryer that works, but it isn't as powerful as the one that took a bath, so it takes longer to dry my hair.