PDA

View Full Version : North Korea building A-bombs again

mundame
09-24-2008, 09:35 AM
N.Korea ousts U.N. monitors, to restart atom bomb plant (http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE48N2RI20080924)

9/24/2008

So much for all that Bush administration negotiating: down the drain.

Poor Christopher Hill, he worked so hard.

But I suppose it's the only game they have, so they have to keep it going: promise to stop nuking up, get bribes, start the nuke plant again. Repeat, endlessly.

What should we do, if anything?

Though I don't quite see why it's our problem.

Gaffer
09-24-2008, 09:51 AM
The is one thing that stands out about the dealings with NK. They always lie and always go back on their promises. 100% of the time. They are consistent. And I bet the next administration, no matter which gets in will deal with them again the same as all the ones before have done. They will get the same results and be surprised.

hjmick
09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
N.Korea ousts U.N. monitors, to restart atom bomb plant (http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE48N2RI20080924)

9/24/2008

So much for all that Bush administration negotiating: down the drain.

Poor Christopher Hill, he worked so hard.

But I suppose it's the only game they have, so they have to keep it going: promise to stop nuking up, get bribes, start the nuke plant again. Repeat, endlessly.

Yeah, it worked about as well as it did for the last guy. For the record, that is not a slam at Clinton, just a fact. Though Kim may have been a tad less truculent during Clinton. Perhaps because his nation wasn't quite as broke as it is now?

What should we do, if anything?

Good question, one I have no answer for, which doesn't make me feel too bad as it seems those who are supposed to have the answers are coming up empty as well.

Though I don't quite see why it's our problem.

It's only "our" problem in so much as the technology and the products that result from it could be sold to people who may want to use it against the U.S. and others. It's not inconceivable that Kim, being desperate for money to prop up his bankrupt country, could and would sell it to anyone with money. And while I myself have no real fear of Kim and North Korea in general, they do claim to have missiles that can reach our west coast.

mundame
09-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Good question, one I have no answer for, which doesn't make me feel too bad as it seems those who are supposed to have the answers are coming up empty as well.

Good point: it's like the Wall Street meltdown: if anyone knew how to avoid it, they would have!

It's only "our" problem in so much as the technology and the products that result from it could be sold to people who may want to use it against the U.S. and others. It's not inconceivable that Kim, being desperate for money to prop up his bankrupt country, could and would sell it to anyone with money. And while I myself have no real fear of Kim and North Korea in general, they do claim to have missiles that can reach our west coast.

Sell 'em to Iran, I suppose, to hit Israel with. Then we're in the soup.

remie
09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, it worked about as well as it did for the last guy. For the record, that is not a slam at Clinton, just a fact. Though Kim may have been a tad less truculent during Clinton. Perhaps because his nation wasn't quite as broke as it is now?

I would have to think that China might start to get restless if they are in fact building Nukes. Perhaps they will bomb each other.:coffee:

darin
09-24-2008, 02:05 PM
For DECADES (read - since the Cease Fire) North Korea has been blabbering and whining and crying and threatening. They can't feed themselves, much less an invasion force. So - when ppl stop caring about them, they throw a tantrum. This is another tantrum.

Of course, it gives Kool-Aid drinkers a reason to blame bush...

Gaffer
09-25-2008, 05:37 PM
I would have to think that China might start to get restless if they are in fact building Nukes. Perhaps they will bomb each other.:coffee:

NK is and always has been a puppet of china. Anything the NK's do has got the nod of approval from china. NK is a great source of cheap and slave labor for china as well.

AFbombloader
09-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Whatever our response is to this, it needs to wait for at least 36 days. That is how many days I have left on the Korean peninsula! Being 120 miles from NK is too close when you are talking about this stuff.

Kim doesn't have enough food for his country, he does have enough for his military. They get all of the resourses they need, at the detriment of his civilian population.

AF:salute:

Gaffer
09-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Whatever our response is to this, it needs to wait for at least 36 days. That is how many days I have left on the Korean peninsula! Being 120 miles from NK is too close when you are talking about this stuff.

Kim doesn't have enough food for his country, he does have enough for his military. They get all of the resourses they need, at the detriment of his civilian population.

Well if things start to heat up over there in the next month you be sure to let us know. A SK I use to know and talk with told me the south doesn't want a unified korea because it would be too much on them to completely rebuild and absorb the north. even their railroads don't match, tracks are set to different widths. And the north has no infrastructure. Heard real horror stories about life in NK.

AFbombloader
09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Well if things start to heat up over there in the next month you be sure to let us know. A SK I use to know and talk with told me the south doesn't want a unified korea because it would be too much on them to completely rebuild and absorb the north. even their railroads don't match, tracks are set to different widths. And the north has no infrastructure. Heard real horror stories about life in NK.

If things heat up, I may to busy putting tons of iron on these beautiful F-16's to be on the computer:coffee:

From what I can gather your assessment is correct. They have no infrastructure to speak on. The majority of their population are peasant farmers. I saw a photo of the world, taken from space at night. There are lights everywhere on SK, none in NK except the capitol.