PDA

View Full Version : True / False, or maybe?

Mr. P
09-27-2008, 08:22 PM
I just thought this might be fun.

No goggle...that's cheating and no fun.

Here's the first True False or maybe question.

"The shortest distance between two points IS a straight line".

Feel free to post your True/false or maybe "?".

stephanie
09-27-2008, 08:44 PM
true

retiredman
09-27-2008, 08:56 PM
I just thought this might be fun.

No goggle...that's cheating and no fun.

Here's the first True False or maybe question.

"The shortest distance between two points IS a straight line".

Feel free to post your True/false or maybe "?".

maybe. the shortest distance between two points on the globe is a great circle, which is technically not a straight line at all, and if you sail it, you are continually changing course to maintain your track.

retiredman
09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
true

not always

Mr. P
09-27-2008, 09:02 PM
MFM is correct..NOT ALWAYS.

Next post.

stephanie
09-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I bet he cheated....:laugh2:

I just took a guess. good one mfm:cheers2:

Said1
09-27-2008, 09:20 PM
True or False

I'm about to throw my cat over the fence?

stephanie
09-27-2008, 09:22 PM
true...meeeeeooooooowwwww:laugh2:

Mr. P
09-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I bet he cheated....:laugh2:

I just took a guess. good one mfm:cheers2:

A guess, opinion or fact is what will make this fun...how about something in Alaska you know about Steph?

I sort of look at this as fun but learning new stuff.

Said1
09-27-2008, 09:24 PM
true...meeeeeooooooowwwww:laugh2:

False. She's quite now! To the moon, Lucy!

stephanie
09-27-2008, 09:27 PM
A guess, opinion or fact is what will make this fun...how about something in Alaska you know about Steph?

I sort of look at this as fun but learning new stuff.

I agree Mr. P. I like this sort of stuff, it makes ya think..and you can learn something new.

Mr. P
09-27-2008, 09:31 PM
True or False

I'm about to throw my cat over the fence?

Come on Said...that's speculation...it's a maybe at best.

Mr. P
09-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Damn WHAT happened to the rest of the posts???

Mr. P
09-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Bump...this is the real thread..there seems to be a duplicate.

Said1
09-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Come on Said...that's speculation...it's a maybe at best.

Don't be such a -Cp. :laugh2:

Mr. P
09-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Don't be such a -Cp. :laugh2:

Okay...post a True/false or maybe and I love ya forever.

Mr. P
09-28-2008, 11:14 AM
True/False or maybe.

Before the PC movement all hurricanes were named with female names because women are so unpredictable.

retiredman
09-28-2008, 11:27 AM
True/False or maybe.

Before the PC movement all hurricanes were named with female names because women are so unpredictable.

maybe.... I know that for the longest time, they were named after women but I am not sure it is because they are unpredictable... also...I seem to recall that they used to also be named after Saints.

stephanie
09-28-2008, 11:28 AM
false..

it's because they were called hera-cains..cause it would sound funny if they were called-hima-cains...
so it was only right they have female names.

but the metrosexual men were feeling left out, so now they have male names...ugh:coffee:

Mr. P
09-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I have to say maybe. I only heard this after the feminist movement was well entrenched and the PC movement had just begun.

I have no documentation, although I'm sure it's out there. Somewhere.:laugh2:

Mr. P
09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Someone post..All politics ALL the time is boring! :)

emmett
09-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Most modern day Republican conservatives agree with the Libertarian agenda but are afraid to vote Libertarian because they are scared if Republicans lose they will suffer a bigger setback than standing up to their adversaries with what they truely believe like our forefathers did England.

Mr. P
09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Most modern day Republican conservatives agree with the Libertarian agenda but are afraid to vote Libertarian because they are scared if Republicans lose they will suffer a bigger setback than standing up to their adversaries with what they truely believe like our forefathers did England.

That has to be a maybe as there is no proof of fact.

Immanuel
09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
maybe. the shortest distance between two points on the globe is a great circle, which is technically not a straight line at all, and if you sail it, you are continually changing course to maintain your track.

Not correct. Technically the shortest distance from here to Beijing would be to bore through the earth in a straight line and arrive in Beijing. Now, that would not be the fastest way there, but distance-wise it would be much shorter.

The fact that it would be impossible to do such a thing, at least with today's technology, does not change the fact that it is still the shortest route.

Am I wrong?

Immie

Mr. P
09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Not correct. Technically the shortest distance from here to Beijing would be to bore through the earth in a straight line and arrive in Beijing. Now, that would not be the fastest way there, but distance-wise it would be much shorter.

The fact that it would be impossible to do such a thing, at least with today's technology, does not change the fact that it is still the shortest route.

Am I wrong?

Immie

It's always some smart ass that gums up the works..

Good answer though..cept as you say it's impossible. So is time travel.:poke:

Noir
09-29-2008, 01:26 PM

surly it is true, what is to stop this line going through the globe to connect the two points? That would be he shortest line and it would be stright line, so it would depend if this line had to obey physics or not, as the question does not mention this I will assume it does not.