PDA

View Full Version : Duke Lacrosse Prosecutor Hands Off Case

Pale Rider
01-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Duke Lacrosse Prosecutor Hands Off Case

Jan 13 4:12 PM US/Eastern

By AARON BEARD
Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- The state attorney general's office agreed Saturday to take over the sexual assault case against three Duke University lacrosse players at the request of the embattled district attorney.
Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong, hamstrung by a flip- flopping witness and dogged by allegations that he made inflammatory statements to the media, asked Attorney General Roy Cooper's office Friday to appoint a special prosecutor.

"I wish I could tell you this case would be resolved quickly," Cooper said at a news conference Saturday. "Since we have not been involved in the investigation and prosecution, all of the information will be new to our office. Any case with such serious criminal charges will require careful review."

Cooper pledged that his office would not comment on details of the case as officials review the investigation and the charges of sexual assault and kidnapping against Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans.

Last month, Nifong dropped rape charges against the men after the accuser changed a key detail of her description of the alleged attack.

Nifong has led the investigation into allegations a 28-year-old student at North Carolina Central University _ hired to perform as a stripper _ was gang-raped and beaten at a March 13 party thrown by Duke's highly ranked lacrosse team.

Nifong's comments to reporters in the early days of the case, including calling the lacrosse team "a bunch of hooligans," led the North Carolina State Bar to charge him last month with several ethics violations.

He faces penalties ranging from admonishment to removal from the bar; a hearing in that case is scheduled for May 11.

Nifong's attorney said Friday the conflict of interest those charges created led the veteran prosecutor to ask the state to take over.

Attorney David Freedman said Nifong is disappointed that he has to get out of the case and that his decision to seek a special prosecutor has "nothing to do with how he feels about the merit of the case."

Under North Carolina law, only a district attorney can formally request a special prosecutor. The request can be made when there are potential conflicts of interest, when a case is particularly complex or when there are other unusual circumstances.

Cooper said Jim Coman, a former director of the State Bureau of Investigation and head of the attorney general's Special Prosecution Section; and Mary D. Winstead, a prosecutor in that division, would now oversee the case.

"Agreeing to accept the prosecution of these cases doesn't guarantee a trial, nor does it guarantee a dismissal," Cooper said.

He said his office would take possession of the case files and documents next week, but declined to comment on how quickly their review would progress.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/13/D8MKKN0O5.html

01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
if he thinks that is going to get him out of being investigated, he better be sadly mistaken.

Mr. P
01-15-2007, 10:51 AM
"Agreeing to accept the prosecution of these cases doesn't guarantee a trial, nor does it guarantee a dismissal," Cooper said.

100 cyberbucks says these charges will be dismissed by the end of Feb.

5stringJeff
01-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Nifong is worthless. This whole case was about his reelection. I hope he never sees office again.

Gaffer
01-15-2007, 05:05 PM
When its all said and doen he will be disbarred and sent packing with no pension which is the whole reason for all of this.

Pale Rider
01-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Nifongs ass is up shit crick. One of the Duke LaCrosse boys is already got a law suit against him, and I guaruntee others will follow.

He should have dropped this crap LOOOOOOONG ago. I can't believe he beat this dead horse as long as he did. He had to think that he was going to salvage something or try and save face after it all fell apart, but that was at the expense of the lives of some innocent guys.

I hope this dirty bastard rots in hell.

Mr. P
04-11-2007, 08:13 AM
I hear all charges are to be dropped today. :clap:

CockySOB
04-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Nifong is worthless. This whole case was about his reelection. I hope he never sees office again.

I maintain that Nifong should be indicted for prosecutorial misconduct. And once that trial is over, I want to see a slew of civil cases brought against him by the victims in the case.

Trigg
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I hear all charges are to be dropped today. :clap:

About darn time!!!!!!!!

Took them long enough.

Mr. P
04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Done deal!

No1tovote4
04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Not only were they dropped, the AG made it clear the young men were innocent. He didn't say that they just couldn't prosecute he clearly stated innocent and that there was no supporting evidence for the case to have been brought to this level.

LiberalNation
04-11-2007, 07:50 PM
This things really backfired on Nifong and he deaserves every bit of it. Hurting people like this to try an win an election.