PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 pro

Said1
03-16-2007, 11:00 AM
A friend just installed windows 2000 pro on her computer and now can't get back on-line, something about a net work card? Any suggestions?

CockySOB
03-16-2007, 11:23 AM
What brand of computer did she install it on, or what type of motherboard does she have?

-Cp
03-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Sure.... she would need to install the Windows 2000 drivers for that network card - then it should work fine..

Said1
03-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Sure.... she would need to install the Windows 2000 drivers for that network card - then it should work fine..

That's what I thought. I suppose I need to know what type of net work card she has in order ot find the right driver, right? PLS say no...............

-Cp
03-16-2007, 12:37 PM
That's what I thought. I suppose I need to know what type of net work card she has in order ot find the right driver, right? PLS say no...............

Yup - you would..... However, it's more probable that the network card is integrated on the motherboard which means you'd either need to:

A: Look up the system model number on the OEM's website (e.g. Dell, Compaq, HP etc) - go to their support page for that particular PC and get the network drivers.

or

B: If it's not a system from a major OEM, go to the company's website who made the motherboard and go to the driver support page for that board and snag the networking drivers.

jimnyc
03-16-2007, 02:50 PM
-Cp beat me to it, excellent advice!

Tell your friend to dump 2000 and go to XP! :)

-Cp
03-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Yeah.. XP would be a far better solution for her - and it more than likely would have the drivers built-in to it for her hardware.

CockySOB
03-16-2007, 02:58 PM

Yeah, XP does a better job of auto-detecting the hardware and comes with a better assortment of drivers out of the box.

But if she's stuck with Win2K, just let us know either the make and model of her computer, or the make/model of her motherboard and we should be able to get her going.

Mr. P
03-16-2007, 03:28 PM
How does a network card have anything to do with getting on-line? Unless you're running a LAN to start with. :dunno:

CockySOB
03-16-2007, 03:36 PM
How does a network card have anything to do with getting on-line? Unless you're running a LAN to start with. :dunno:

Cable, DSL and wireless modems typically provide an ethernet connection to facilitate connecting them to a router to distribute the connection. While USB connections are also available on many models of these modems, they are becoming less prevalent in the marketplace as just about everyone runs a network these days.

Oh yeah, some internal modem cards present themselves as a network interface card under Windows detection, despite the fact you and I would probably refer to them as modem cards. (Dial-up modems are the exception here, although they get treated as a special class of network interface card by the Windows OS,)

OK, I've had my geeky moment. Time to check the brats on the grill....

jimnyc
03-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah.. XP would be a far better solution for her - and it more than likely would have the drivers built-in to it for her hardware.

Exactamundo! That was my line of thinking.

Either you have a modem with a MAC address, and you get assigned an IP address when you dial in, or you have a network card attached to your cable/dsl modem that has a MAC address and gets assigned an IP address. NO IP, no connecty! :)

theHawk
03-16-2007, 03:54 PM
A friend just installed windows 2000 pro on her computer and now can't get back on-line, something about a net work card? Any suggestions?

what is the exact error she is getting? Is there a Local Area Connection icon in her Network Connections? If so what are the settings under its properties?

A quick way to see if she is pulling a valid IP is to do a Start > Run, type in cmd and hit OK. Should pop open a command line window. Type in ipconfig/all , this will show your domain, ip address, dns ect. If the ip address is 0.0.0.0 or a 169.xx.xx.xx then she has no network connection and will need to check the NIC settings.

Mr. P
03-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Cable, DSL and wireless modems typically provide an ethernet connection to facilitate connecting them to a router to distribute the connection. While USB connections are also available on many models of these modems, they are becoming less prevalent in the marketplace as just about everyone runs a network these days.

Oh yeah, some internal modem cards present themselves as a network interface card under Windows detection, despite the fact you and I would probably refer to them as modem cards. (Dial-up modems are the exception here, although they get treated as a special class of network interface card by the Windows OS,)

OK, I've had my geeky moment. Time to check the brats on the grill....

Either you have a modem with a MAC address, and you get assigned an IP address when you dial in, or you have a network card attached to your cable/dsl modem that has a MAC address and gets assigned an IP address. NO IP, no connecty! :)
I know, I just didn’t see enough information to give advice.. All we have is she 'now' can't connect after installing win 2000pro, upgrade? Is she on a LAN or not? Was everything fine beforehand? Lots of questions to answer before I’d say card or drivers. I mean if she went from win2000 to pro all the drivers would still be there. I would think all settings would also remain, although I've never heard much good about 2000 at all. I'd have to ask; WTF were you thinking when you installed Win 2000?!! I wouldn't be a popular repair person. :wink2:

Said1
03-16-2007, 06:58 PM
She has a samsung thinkmaster 955ds. That's second hand info from her daughter, I hope she got it right. :laugh2:

-Cp
03-16-2007, 08:50 PM
She has a samsung thinkmaster 955ds. That's second hand info from her daughter, I hope she got it right. :laugh2:

Heh.. that's the model # of her monitor not her PC.... :)

Mr. P
03-16-2007, 08:53 PM

Women! :lol:

Said1
03-16-2007, 09:12 PM

Crap. I knew her daughter was able to do that with tooooo much ease. :clap: :laugh2:

Oh well, it'll have to wait until Monday then!