PDA

View Full Version : Do you ask for Blessings?

darin
09-30-2008, 08:12 AM
If you pray, in your prayers do you ask for things to go well in your life? Do you ask for God to bless you/yours? If so, why? What's the root cause or desire for the good times/fortune?

PostmodernProphet
09-30-2008, 08:23 AM
What's the root cause or desire for the good times/fortune?
because it sucks when things go bad.....yes, I pray for blessings for family, friends, community, country, world.....

darin
09-30-2008, 10:04 AM
I wonder if God tires of hearing prayers asking for blessings - when his desire is to help us live more-holy lives; often to learn holiness, we need to struggle.

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 10:07 AM
yes but mostly for my princess/baby/best friend :)

excellent thread :salute:

If you pray, in your prayers do you ask for things to go well in your life? Do you ask for God to bless you/yours? If so, why? What's the root cause or desire for the good times/fortune?

crin63
09-30-2008, 10:20 AM

I think your premise is incorrect in good times/fortune.

When I ask God to bless the ones I love Its not for wealth and fun but just to meet their daily needs including health, safety and financial needs. For the Christians I also ask God to use them in the lives of others and to strengthen their testimony among those they are around. When I ask God to bless someone financially I ask for it in direct correlation to their giving back to God. In some cases I pray for God to crush a person in the hopes that they will be brought low enough to see their need of God. When I ask God to bless me financially its to meet my families needs, my churches needs and to help others when I can not for fortune or good times.

darin
09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Good comments.

Do we ever pray to be refined, though? Do we pray to be tested and to learn to grow our faith? Why 'should' God hand out blessings en-mass? What defines a blessing?

I suppose it could be a matter of semantics. Instead of praying for "Blessings" we might pray for specific influences of His hand.

crin63
09-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Good comments.

Do we ever pray to be refined, though? Do we pray to be tested and to learn to grow our faith? Why 'should' God hand out blessings en-mass? What defines a blessing?

I suppose it could be a matter of semantics. Instead of praying for "Blessings" we might pray for specific influences of His hand.

I always hesitate to mention myself because I don't want to come off as sounding holier than thou. What I ask for myself is for God to give me wisdom, strength to get through the day, to be a better friend, servant and follower. I ask for the ability to be good leader when I have opportunity to lead. I also ask for God to make me a better father and husband. I ask for financial blessings to meet my families needs.

Blessing is the unmerited favor of God.

-Cp
09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I think your premise is incorrect in good times/fortune.

When I ask God to bless the ones I love Its not for wealth and fun but just to meet their daily needs including health, safety and financial needs. For the Christians I also ask God to use them in the lives of others and to strengthen their testimony among those they are around. When I ask God to bless someone financially I ask for it in direct correlation to their giving back to God. In some cases I pray for God to crush a person in the hopes that they will be brought low enough to see their need of God. When I ask God to bless me financially its to meet my families needs, my churches needs and to help others when I can not for fortune or good times.

Why do you pray for him to meet their needs when he's already promised us in Matthew 6 that he will?

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

crin63
09-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Why do you pray for him to meet their needs when he's already promised us in Matthew 6 that he will?

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Because when Jesus taught his disciples to pray he told them to ask for their daily bread.

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

09-30-2008, 05:33 PM
of course. Because life is almost unbearable without them.

Said1
09-30-2008, 05:36 PM
I just pray to find the wisdom for myself and others to help themselves.

April15
09-30-2008, 06:32 PM
of course. Because life is almost unbearable without them.Without prayers or blessings?