PDA

View Full Version : Bob Herbert: When Madmen Reign

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Good read on the situation. Take it like a man!!!!!!!

I’m not holding my breath, but I would like to see the self-proclaimed conservative, small government, anti-regulation, free-market zealots step up and take responsibility for wrecking the American economy and bringing about the worst financial crisis since the Depression.

Even now, with the house on fire, the most extreme among them won’t pick up the fire hoses and try to put it out.

With the fate of the Bush administration’s desperate $700 billion bailout of the financial industry hanging in the balance, Representative Darrell Issa, a Republican from California, stuck to his political playbook like a man covered in Krazy Glue. He pronounced himself “resolute” in his opposition to the bailout because to be otherwise would amount to a betrayal of party principles.

To deviate from those principles, in Mr. Issa’s view, would be like placing “a coffin on top of Ronald Reagan’s coffin.”

We are in very strange territory here...............

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/opinion/30herbert.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

I usually don't buy off on much of what Bob Herbert has to say but I think he is absolutely on issue with this one.

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

09-30-2008, 05:19 PM
How can "the self-proclaimed conservative, small government, anti-regulation, free-market zealots step up and take responsibility for wrecking the American economy and bringing about the worst financial crisis since the Depression" when they've been completely ignored?

Cause last time i checked we don't have a small federal government. We dont have a lack of regulation. We havent been letting the free market govern the marketplace.

This problem specifically occured because government wouldn't get out of the market place. This occured because government interfered and then certain politicians made money for their campaign. And we sure as heck arent letting the market fix the problem. We are suggesting more government.

So like I said, how can a conservative "zealot", as you say, possibly be blamed when he has been completely ignored in favor of liberal interference in the economy?

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Obviously you didn't read the article, a'21. Nothing new about that!!!!!!! You speak as if I had spoken those words. I didn't, Bob Herbert did. His article addresses about all you seem to have questions about. I suggest you at least read it, bff.

:laugh2:

AFbombloader
09-30-2008, 05:29 PM
This is not a Republican or Democrat issue. It is not the fault of one party or one administration. Why can't everybody see that? This is an American issue and political party should not come into the equation for fixing this (if there is one). In fact, this may be a world issue, not just an American one.

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/15773/

GLENN: The banks around the world, I mean, I love how this is the failed Bush policies. I don't believe it's the failed Bush policies. I mean, I think he was part of it. I think Chris Dodd was part of it. I think Barney Frank is an abomination when it comes to what's been going on. But it's more than that because it's happened all over the world. The Netherlands, what did they nationalize 49% of their banks over the weekend? Another bank bombed in England over the weekend. This is not us necessarily spreading it overseas. These kinds of things have been happening, the same kind of behavior here has been happening globally. True or false?

RON PAUL: Well, that's true. But we have to understand why. This has been building since 1971 when we gave up on the last link to the gold standard under Bretton Woods, we devised a dollar standard. We were the most powerful economic group as well as a military power and therefore they accepted the dollar and they had more trust in the dollar than it deserved. So we were privileged to print the gold and spend the money and the people accepted it around the world. So we are responsible in the sense that we had license to spend and borrow and inflate and we lived beyond our means and that is why it's worldwide because essentially all central banks hold a lot of dollars and that's why they inflated in their economy as well. So there's a lot of malinvestment and debt worldwide. But it's the dollar phenomenon. It is the international monetary system. Already there's an article out. They accept this whole idea that I'm talking about and they say, well, we need a worldwide central bank that will take over. And, of course, that would be the worst thing in the world because we would have one single bank issuing and try to substitute, you know, substitute the dollar for something under the IMF or whomever. So we do need a new currency but it can't be another worldwide currency run by the bank.

09-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Obviously you didn't read the article, a'21. Nothing new about that!!!!!!! You speak as if I had spoken those words. I didn't, Bob Herbert did. His article addresses about all you seem to have questions about. I suggest you at least read it, bff.

I read the article quite fine. You just dont want to answer the question. You never want to answer questions because you cant do it without destroying your position.

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 05:35 PM
This is not a Republican or Democrat issue. It is not the fault of one party or one administration. Why can't everybody see that? This is an American issue and political party should not come into the equation for fixing this (if there is one). In fact, this may be a world issue, not just an American one.

GLENN: The banks around the world, I mean, I love how this is the failed Bush policies. I don't believe it's the failed Bush policies. I mean, I think he was part of it. I think Chris Dodd was part of it. I think Barney Frank is an abomination when it comes to what's been going on. But it's more than that because it's happened all over the world. The Netherlands, what did they nationalize 49% of their banks over the weekend? Another bank bombed in England over the weekend. This is not us necessarily spreading it overseas. These kinds of things have been happening, the same kind of behavior here has been happening globally. True or false?

RON PAUL: Well, that's true. But we have to understand why. This has been building since 1971 when we gave up on the last link to the gold standard under Bretton Woods, we devised a dollar standard. We were the most powerful economic group as well as a military power and therefore they accepted the dollar and they had more trust in the dollar than it deserved. So we were privileged to print the gold and spend the money and the people accepted it around the world. So we are responsible in the sense that we had license to spend and borrow and inflate and we lived beyond our means and that is why it's worldwide because essentially all central banks hold a lot of dollars and that's why they inflated in their economy as well. So there's a lot of malinvestment and debt worldwide. But it's the dollar phenomenon. It is the international monetary system. Already there's an article out. They accept this whole idea that I'm talking about and they say, well, we need a worldwide central bank that will take over. And, of course, that would be the worst thing in the world because we would have one single bank issuing and try to substitute, you know, substitute the dollar for something under the IMF or whomever. So we do need a new currency but it can't be another worldwide currency run by the bank.

Brilliant, afbl!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing this!!!!!!!!!!! As long as my remote works I just can't do any Glenn Beck. But, he and Ron Paul seem to be spot on in this issue!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

How about some Bulgogi and an OB beer?!??!???!?!?!

09-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Brilliant, afbl!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing this!!!!!!!!!!! As long as my remore works I just can't do any Glenn Beck. But, he and Ron Paul seem to be spot on in this issue!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Seems to be making my point. The self proclaimed "conservative zealots" are right on the issue. But they have been ignored.

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
You're a liar, a'21. You didn't read the article or even my post very well.

I read the article quite fine. You just dont want to answer the question. You never want to answer questions because you cant do it without destroying your position.

The only position I took was that it was a good read. I maintain that observation and opinion even though I don't much care for Bob Herbert.

Get your ass off your shoulders and say something with comprehension, OK, bff?

09-30-2008, 05:43 PM
You're a liar, a'21. You didn't read the article or even my post very well.

The only position I took was that it was a good read. I maintain that observation and opinion even though I don't much care for Bob Herbert.

Get your ass off your shoulders and say something with comprehension, OK, bff?

Im not the one with comprehension issues my friend. If you cant or wont support the position fine. It's no skin off my back.

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 05:47 PM
I maintain my position, dumbo.

Im not the one with comprehension issues my friend. If you cant or wont support the position fine. It's no skin off my back.

Are you still confused?

AFbombloader
09-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Brilliant, afbl!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing this!!!!!!!!!!! As long as my remote works I just can't do any Glenn Beck. But, he and Ron Paul seem to be spot on in this issue!!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

I can't get Glenn while I am over here, they don't show him on AFN. I get his daily newsletter.

bulgogi and an OB, no problem! Beef, chicken or squid? Spicy or mild? How about an order of Yaki-mandu?

Immanuel
09-30-2008, 06:46 PM
I am sorry, but after reading the majority of that piece. I think that Bob Herbert has his head up his ass or maybe it is up Obama's ass.

Yes, Bush et al is partially responsible. Hell, they have been in office 7 1/2 years and they have reaped the rewards of the Clinton Admin's negligence. But this man loses all credibility in my book when he has the gall to write some cock-a-maimy one sided bull shit as this:

Credit markets have frozen almost solid, banks are toppling like dominoes and brokerage houses are vanishing like props in a magic act. And who was one of the paramount leaders of the manic anti-regulatory charge that led to this sorry state of affairs? None other than Mr. Gramm himself, a former chairman of the Senate Banking Committee.

Now, I am not excusing anything that Senator Gramm did, but for this fool, Bob Herbert, to completely gloss over that fact that the government under Bill Clinton lowered credit standards to unbelievable lows and that these lower standards have helped to caused the crisis is nothing short of asinine. And then he wants us to take him seriously? Get serious.

Immie

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 08:13 PM
So,,,,,,,,you somehow think that Bill Clinton lowered credit standards?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I am sorry, but after reading the majority of that piece. I think that Bob Herbert has his head up his ass or maybe it is up Obama's ass.

Yes, Bush et al is partially responsible. Hell, they have been in office 7 1/2 years and they have reaped the rewards of the Clinton Admin's negligence. But this man loses all credibility in my book when he has the gall to write some cock-a-maimy one sided bull shit as this:

Now, I am not excusing anything that Senator Gramm did, but for this fool, Bob Herbert, to completely gloss over that fact that the government under Bill Clinton lowered credit standards to unbelievable lows and that these lower standards have helped to caused the crisis is nothing short of asinine. And then he wants us to take him seriously? Get serious.

Immie

immie, I love you but you have more research to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 08:15 PM
you are 100% right :clap:

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
this is horse shit,

#1 the dems have been in power in both the senate and house the last two years

#2 the dems said, give unqualified minorities access to loans they cant afford , for houses, or we're coming after you

#3 you completely ignore the stock bust, and enron bubble that occured on clinton's watch, as is financial gains and losses are partisan. you know clinton cut funding to hospitals and defense, and that wasnt a good thing, but please keep pretending your side is perfect and keep slandering conservatives by calling/comparing them to nazi's. I thought you were better then that

#4 The housing bubble, and stock bubbles occurred under clintons watch, then 9/11 happened (also bushes fault right?), and the greedy ceo's had nothing to do with it. Rather then wanting to fix the problem, or prevent it, you wanna score cheap political points, and smear people you dont agree by name calling/trying to humiliating them. Its not gonna work, its more gotcha bullshit, i expect better from you blues man, and i know were friends, and i respect ya a lot, but i cant give u or anyone else a pass.

I’m not holding my breath, but I would like to see the self-proclaimed conservative, small government, anti-regulation, free-market zealots step up and take responsibility for wrecking the American economy and bringing about the worst financial crisis since the Depression.

Even now, with the house on fire, the most extreme among them won’t pick up the fire hoses and try to put it out.

With the fate of the Bush administration’s desperate $700 billion bailout of the financial industry hanging in the balance, Representative Darrell Issa, a Republican from California, stuck to his political playbook like a man covered in Krazy Glue. He pronounced himself “resolute” in his opposition to the bailout because to be otherwise would amount to a betrayal of party principles.

To deviate from those principles, in Mr. Issa’s view, would be like placing “a coffin on top of Ronald Reagan’s coffin.”

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/opinion/30herbert.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

I usually don't buy off on much of what Bob Herbert has to say but I think he is absolutely on issue with this one.

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't believe you in the context you are expressing, marteen.

this is horse shit,

#1 the dems have been in power in both the senate and house the last two years

#2 the dems said, give unqualified minorities access to loans they cant afford , for houses, or we're coming after you

#3 you completely ignore the stock bust, and enron bubble that occured on clinton's watch, as is financial gains and losses are partisan. you know clinton cut funding to hospitals and defense, and that wasnt a good thing, but please keep pretending your side is perfect and keep slandering conservatives by calling/comparing them to nazi's. I thought you were better then that

Do you have any links to back you up?

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
i dont get what you mean, by I dont believe you in the context. All im saying is, why is everything bushes fault, and the democrats are pure as the driven snow

I dont have any links right now, Ive heard from some friends and hopefully other board members could help with links, cause i dont have the time or patience right now to go searching google for it, im supposed to be working but miss the site lol :laugh2:

I don't believe you in the context you are expressing, marteen.

Do you have any links to back you up?

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 08:35 PM
I didn't say the Dems are innocent of anything, dumbo.

i dont get what you mean, by I dont believe you in the context. All im saying is, why is everything bushes fault, and the democrats are pure as the driven snow

I dont have any links right now, Ive heard from some friends and hopefully other board members could help with links, cause i dont have the time or patience right now to go searching google for it, im supposed to be working but miss the site lol :laugh2:

But you certainly are attempting to give them all the blame. I simply said that I don't believe you in the particular contest from which you are speaking and politely ask for links or personal information that you might have to back up your obviously ridiculous statements.

That's all I mean, marteen!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
my analysis of the article/author: I can barely read this whole article, its filled with partisan attacks, arrogance, snobbery, lies, and stupidity

Were blaming iraq for this?, way to go for cheap shots mr op ed dude. Wow, this is one of the most immature, un-fair, and moronic pieces ive read in a long time, i think ive actually gotten dumber just by reading it.

I honestly think a third grader with paint on his fingers could write this, it would be just as hateful, maybe smarter?

Boo bluesman, this is just more daily kos type hate.

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't do Daily Kos, marteen, but I would expect Bob Herbert to be one of their least favorite people.

my analysis of the article/author: I can barely read this whole article, its filled with partisan attacks, arrogance, snobbery, lies, and stupidity

Were blaming iraq for this?, way to go for cheap shots mr op ed dude. Wow, this is one of the most immature, un-fair, and moronic pieces ive read in a long time, i think ive actually gotten dumber just by reading it.

I honestly think a third grader with paint on his fingers could write this, it would be just as hateful, maybe smarter?

Boo bluesman, this is just more daily kos type hate.

You do understand that he is one of the more "conservative"1 in the literary field, don't you?

1. Bob Herbert is more likely to agree with Rush Limpdick than with me whatever I have to say.

Read it again, marteen, and put your thinking cap on this time!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 09:21 PM
cute elephant reference, i dont have any links as this is stuff ive heard on the radio or heard from friends.

but hopefully someone will BAIL :laugh2: me out here with a link or two

I didn't say the Dems are innocent of anything, dumbo.

But you certainly are attempting to give them all the blame. I simply said that I don't believe you in the particular contest from which you are speaking and politely ask for links or personal information that you might have to back up your obviously ridiculous statements.

That's all I mean, marteen!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 09:22 PM
rush limpdick :laugh2:

the guy is conservative?

alright, ill give it another read mate,

I don't do Daily Kos, marteen, but I would expect Bob Herbert to be one of their least favorite people.

You do understand that he is one of the more "conservative"1 in the literary field, don't you?

1. Bob Herbert is more likely to agree with Rush Limpdick than with me whatever I have to say.

Read it again, marteen, and put your thinking cap on this time!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
cute elephant reference, i dont have any links as this is stuff ive heard on the radio or heard from friends.

but hopefully someone will BAIL :laugh2: me out here with a link or two

Don't be surprised if there are no credible links provided, marteen. There are no credible links available.

Immanuel
09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
So,,,,,,,,you somehow think that Bill Clinton lowered credit standards?!?!?!?!?!?!?

immie, I love you but you have more research to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is evident that the Democrats during the Clinton Admin lowered the standards for lending. From there, all hell was just waiting to break loose.

And eventually it did.

And I love ya too. {returns the Margerita glass} Refill please!

Immie

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 09:37 PM
I guess this bailout will go as well, as the current one.

This political thing, is tough.

For me its like walking in a minefield, trying to control, my emotions and impulses. im not a victim, dont get me wrong its just hard :)

im glad to have nice people on this board like you to help me through it and teach me how to think

they didnt really teach thinking in the public schools

Don't be surprised if there are no credible links provided, marteen. There are no credible links available.

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
after 8 years i would be used to being disapointed by the retardacrat party but frankly.

I am disapointed, like most americans I want a government that is of the people, not of arrogant pricks

but then again, im leaning again :coffee:

I also dont like the word liberal (meaning the way it is used to demonize liberals)

why should it be a sin to hold beliefs?

I say, democratic and republic are cool words

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Like me, Bill Clinton was enamoured with business/government cooperation.

It is evident that the Democrats during the Clinton Admin lowered the standards for lending. From there, all hell was just waiting to break loose.

And eventually it did.

Immie

Now, immie, just what party primarily supported your position in 1999? Like I said earlier, private profits and socialized risk are the hallmark of the Republican Party ambitions!!!!!!!!!!

One FRESH margerita coming up!!!!!!!!!! We don't refill, cowgirl. We REPLACE!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathianne
09-30-2008, 09:44 PM

and that would be, why?

Martin, that is your name, right? The reason there are no 'credible links'? Ask yourself why.

retiredman
09-30-2008, 09:45 PM

And eventually it did.

Immie

so you are saying that the entire world's financial system is on the brink of imploding solely because fannie mae and freddie mac underwrote some mortgages for poor folks in America? :laugh2:

Kathianne
09-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Like me, Bill Clinton was enamoured with business/government cooperation.

Now, immie, just what party primarily supported your position in 1999? Like I said earlier, private profits and socialized risk are the hallmark of the Republican Party ambitions!!!!!!!!!!

One FRESH margerita coming up!!!!!!!!!! We don't refill, cowgirl. We REPLACE!!!!!!!!!!!

PB, I already posted a video regarding your questions. You knew that! Damn, I should have known that.

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
It ain't no secret that us liberals are trying to hide, kat. That didn't come out right. We ain't trying to hide, kat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that would be, why?

Martin, that is your name, right? The reason there are no 'credible links'? Ask yourself why.

There ain't none simply because there ain't no truth to the argument presented. Are you really that freakin' dumb?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Kathianne
09-30-2008, 10:01 PM
It ain't no secret that us liberals are trying to hide, kat.

There ain't none simply because there ain't no truth to the argument presented. Are you really that freakin' dumb?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, that's it, bye.

emmett
09-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Psycho.........go to bed! You are being disrespectful again. That lady certainly is not dumb. She probably forgot more yesterday than you have learned in 10 years.

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 10:08 PM
common psych, thats really mean man.

kath is a very good poster, and you shouldnt call her stupid :poke:

It ain't no secret that us liberals are trying to hide, kat. That didn't come out right. We ain't trying to hide, kat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 10:18 PM
If she could have produced a link she would have. I certainly know her that well.

common psych, thats really mean man.

kath is a very good poster, and you shouldnt call her stupid :poke:

If rhetoric offends you then I would expect this entire board to shut down almost immediately!!!!!!!!!

Relax, cowgirls, and keep your tools in your aprons!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 10:20 PM
dont worry, ill rape :dance: you later cowboy :coffee:

If she could have produced a link she would have. I certainly know her that well.

If rhetoric offends you then I would expect this entire board to shut down almost immediately!!!!!!!!!

Kathianne
09-30-2008, 10:23 PM

LOL! Link to what? Seriously you should give this one up.

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Is rape your modem operandi, marteen?

dont worry, ill rape :dance: you later cowboy :coffee:

I should have suspected. Otherwise you just wouldn't be getting any snatch, would you?!!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ice Cold H20 coming right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I dont like the harshness/mean tone of the article. I did read it, and he turned me off in the first 5 seconds. (edited by request)

I should have suspected. Otherwise you just wouldn't be getting any snatch, would you?!!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ice Cold H20 coming right up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:[/QUOTE]

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
And what does any of that have to do with the article by Bob Herbert?

just having a little fun :laugh2:

I dont rape, the drugs do it for me :coffee:

speaking of snatch ;), some of my classmates are hot.

Is jackbooting threads your new modem operandi?

marteen, you know better, don't you?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I edited it, but i dont have proof from you as to when de-regulation began, and who did it

and in any event, who is gonna fix it?

or is it more important the retardacrats get the blame rather then the doucheacrats

And what does any of that have to do with the article by Bob Herbert?

Is jackbooting threads your new modem operandi?

marteen, you know better, don't you?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 10:51 PM
You came into this thread in kind of a backassed way, Kat.

LOL! Link to what? Seriously you should give this one up.

Perhaps if you read it you would better understand what is going on here instead of spouting off and making such a fool of yourself.

Whatever?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Can I fix you a Cosmos?

Kathianne
09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
You came into this thread in kind of a backassed way, Kat.

Perhaps if you read it you would better understand what is going on here instead of spouting off and making such a fool of yourself.

Whatever?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Can I fix you a Cosmos?

Link to what?

Psychoblues
09-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Read the freaking thread, dumbo.

Link to what?

I'll take you out to lunch but you have to eat it on your own, don't you know?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Need another Cosmos?

Kathianne
09-30-2008, 11:02 PM

I'll take you out to lunch but you have to eat it on your own, don't you know?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Need another Cosmos?

Sorry, not the weekend. Again, what is it you wished me to link to?

actsnoblemartin
09-30-2008, 11:02 PM
makes elephant sound

sorry i couldnt resist :laugh2:

Need another Cosmos?

stang56k
10-01-2008, 07:28 AM

I am going to have to disagree with you on this...The free market conservative, small government, anti-regulation did not put us in this mess...And if your implying Bush and Co are this, they are far from it. Bush Co, and Berneke are NOT free market conservative, small government, anti-regulation but the exact opposite.