PDA

View Full Version : Iraq war protesters to converge at White House

LiberalNation
03-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Cool, not like it'll change anything tho.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usiraqwaranniversary;_ylt=AgvMe3L7AmBWc.uR661bGKUD W7oF

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Thousands of people are expected to converge at the White House Friday in the first of several demonstrations marking the fourth anniversary of the increasingly unpopular Iraq war, organizers said.

Christian Peace Witness for Iraq has organized a worship for Friday night at Washington's National Cathedral to be attended by 4,000 people who will then hold a candlelight procession to the White House, the anti-war group said.

A vigil will take place in front of US President George W. Bush's official residence and 700 people have indicated their readiness to be arrested in an act of civil disobedience, the group said.

The group has billed the event as the biggest Christian peace demonstration since the March 20, 2003, US-led invasion of Iraq, but rain and possible snow forecast for Washington could dampen attendance.

Anti-war activists have heavily mobilized since Democrats took control of Congress from Bush's Republicans in November elections marked by voter anger at the war.

Activists want the Democratic-led Congress to push hard for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, where more than 3,200 American soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians have died since the war began.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to demonstrate Saturday in a march from downtown Washington to the Defense Department's Pentagon headquarters, said protest organizer Act Now to Stop War and End Racism (ANSWER).

"We're feeling a shift in the general population of the country who are now opposed to the war and are now thinking about doing something about it, not only about voting but becoming active in the anti-war struggle," ANSWER spokesman Bill Hackwell told AFP.

The war has grown increasingly unpopular, with recent polls showing that a majority of Americans now say the invasion was a mistake and want the US government to set a timetable for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq.

Hackwell said more Americans are demanding change because too much money is being spent on the war rather than social needs like health care, education and employment.

"It is not an exaggeration to make this connection about the funding that gets cut for needed social programs and the money going to the Pentagon," he said.

War veterans and their families will lead the march starting at 12:30 pm (1630 GMT) Saturday.

Other anti-war events are planned in the next few days across the country.

In Los Angeles, thousands of protesters are expected to take the streets of Hollywood Saturday and another ANSWER demonstration is expected in San Francisco.

United for Peace and Justice, which describes itself as the largest anti-war coalition in the United States, said it was expecting thousands of people to turn up at a protest in New York on Sunday.

"The national anti-war movement is planning a unified surge of protest actions calling on Congress to end the occupation and for the immediate withdrawal of US troops," the group said in a statement.

The leftist group MoveOn.org is also organizing candlelight vigils for Monday in Washington and across the country, spokesman Steve Hoffman said.

The protests come on the heels of congressional votes on Iraq.

Democrats failed to pass in the Senate a plan to withdraw US troops by March 2008, although a measure calling for a pullout by September 2008 passed a key panel in the House of Representatives Thursday.

stephanie
03-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah man...Way cool...

Nothing like spitting in the face of our troops while their in a war...

:pee:

Dilloduck
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usiraqwaranniversary;_ylt=AgvMe3L7AmBWc.uR661bGKUD W7oF

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Thousands of people are expected to converge at the White House Friday in the first of several demonstrations marking the fourth anniversary of the increasingly unpopular Iraq war, organizers said.

Christian Peace Witness for Iraq has organized a worship for Friday night at Washington's National Cathedral to be attended by 4,000 people who will then hold a candlelight procession to the White House, the anti-war group said.

A vigil will take place in front of US President George W. Bush's official residence and 700 people have indicated their readiness to be arrested in an act of civil disobedience, the group said.

The group has billed the event as the biggest Christian peace demonstration since the March 20, 2003, US-led invasion of Iraq, but rain and possible snow forecast for Washington could dampen attendance.

Anti-war activists have heavily mobilized since Democrats took control of Congress from Bush's Republicans in November elections marked by voter anger at the war.

Activists want the Democratic-led Congress to push hard for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq, where more than 3,200 American soldiers and tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians have died since the war began.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to demonstrate Saturday in a march from downtown Washington to the Defense Department's Pentagon headquarters, said protest organizer Act Now to Stop War and End Racism (ANSWER).

"We're feeling a shift in the general population of the country who are now opposed to the war and are now thinking about doing something about it, not only about voting but becoming active in the anti-war struggle," ANSWER spokesman Bill Hackwell told AFP.

The war has grown increasingly unpopular, with recent polls showing that a majority of Americans now say the invasion was a mistake and want the US government to set a timetable for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq.

Hackwell said more Americans are demanding change because too much money is being spent on the war rather than social needs like health care, education and employment.

"It is not an exaggeration to make this connection about the funding that gets cut for needed social programs and the money going to the Pentagon," he said.

War veterans and their families will lead the march starting at 12:30 pm (1630 GMT) Saturday.

Other anti-war events are planned in the next few days across the country.

In Los Angeles, thousands of protesters are expected to take the streets of Hollywood Saturday and another ANSWER demonstration is expected in San Francisco.

United for Peace and Justice, which describes itself as the largest anti-war coalition in the United States, said it was expecting thousands of people to turn up at a protest in New York on Sunday.

"The national anti-war movement is planning a unified surge of protest actions calling on Congress to end the occupation and for the immediate withdrawal of US troops," the group said in a statement.

The leftist group MoveOn.org is also organizing candlelight vigils for Monday in Washington and across the country, spokesman Steve Hoffman said.

The protests come on the heels of congressional votes on Iraq.

Democrats failed to pass in the Senate a plan to withdraw US troops by March 2008, although a measure calling for a pullout by September 2008 passed a key panel in the House of Representatives Thursday.

It'll will be a good party for all the kooks who have nothing better to do! :laugh2:

stephanie
03-16-2007, 01:12 PM
It'll will be a good party for all the kooks who have nothing better to do! :laugh2:

That's a fact, jack...:laugh2:

LiberalNation
03-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Poor me can't go. Some of those protests look fun.

Gaffer
03-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Keep the news on tomorrow. I predict some clashes between the nuts and the vets and other supporters our troops. And I bet the supporters outnumber the anitwar crowd.

03-17-2007, 02:27 AM
So how do these five people support themselves while protesting so much?

Birdzeye
03-17-2007, 10:35 AM
So how do these five people support themselves while protesting so much?

How can it be only five when more than that were arrested?

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2007/03/17/ap/headlines/d8ntv5vo0.txt

krisy
03-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Parts of this article don't make sense. It's a Chrisrian peace group,yet 700 of the, are prepeared to be arrested for civil disobedience?

Another thing...it says rain and snow may lessen the number that shows up. WOW! I'm glad the men that fight so bravely for our country aren't so wimpy to let things like that get in their way,since their supposed "supporters" do.

LiberalNation
03-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Civil disobedience = civil and is pretty effective form of protest.

krisy
03-17-2007, 10:57 AM

I understand what civil means,but if they are prepared to be arrested...maybe it's not going to be so civil

Dilloduck
03-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I understand what civil means,but if they are prepared to be arrested...maybe it's not going to be so civil

Wannabe Hippies.

LiberalNation
03-17-2007, 11:07 AM
They stay civil as they are arrested. As in not fihgting the cops, accepting that they will be arrested. Not something christians would be barred from doing. MLK perfected the process.

LiberalNation
03-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Wannabe Hippies.
lol I don't know. Where's the weed, LSD, and tidye.

manu1959
03-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Wannabe Hippies.

this protest could be pretty interesting ....on the news they just panned the anti crowd vs the pro crowd......anti crowd is hippies, punks and yuppies.....pro crowd looks like vets and bikers......cops are going to be busy....

Dilloduck
03-17-2007, 11:10 AM
They stay civil as they are arrested. As in not fihgting the cops, accepting that they will be arrested. Not something christians would be barred from doing. MLK perfected the process.

what are they disobeying?

krisy
03-17-2007, 11:11 AM
lol I don't know. Where's the weed, LSD, and tidye.

I heard Bill Clinton is supplying the weed, man:smoke: :laugh2:

LiberalNation
03-17-2007, 11:13 AM
what are they disobeying?
Laws like sitting in the road I would guess.

manu1959
03-17-2007, 11:13 AM

if one is civil, one would not be disobediant and thus not arrested....

further being disobediant is less than an ideal christian behaviour

Dilloduck
03-17-2007, 11:15 AM

OMG what a sacrifice--what a message---:laugh2:

Don't most of them live on the side of the road anyway?

LiberalNation
MlK was civil in his protest but he broke the law. Breaking the law does not = being uncivil if no violence or property destruction occurs while the law is broken. No one is harmed.

How can it be only five when more than that were arrested?

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2007/03/17/ap/headlines/d8ntv5vo0.txt

Media always overexagerates democrat protests while ignoring republican protests. Personally I think republican protests would get more news considering they are much rarer.

LiberalNation
03-17-2007, 11:16 AM
OMG what a sacrifice--what a message---:laugh2:

Don't most of them live on the side of the road anyway?

Well they could firebomb a federal building and make a statment but then that wouldn't be very civil.

03-17-2007, 11:17 AM

meaning their being jerks and annoying people. Essentailly throwing a tantrum.

I think we should just forget arresting them. just give motorist immunity if they happen to run any of them over... that will get them moving fast.

Dilloduck
03-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Well they could firebomb a federal building and make a statment but then that wouldn't be very civil.

Hopefully when they get home and sober up they will realize that professional protesting ain't all it's cracked up to be.

manu1959
03-17-2007, 11:18 AM
MlK was civil in his protest but he broke the law. Breaking the law does not = being uncivil if no violence or property destruction occurs while the law is broken. No one is harmed.

often, he was arrested because he had assemblies, marches and gave insightfull speaches without the proper permits ..... the white folk wouldn't give him one ... so esentially he was arrested ... esentially arrested for being black ....

hundred bucks say these proptesters do not show the the same class or respect MLK did....

LiberalNation
03-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Hopefully when they get home and sober up they will realize that professional protesting ain't all it's cracked up to be.
Hey it's a job and many get a small amount of pay for the groups they represent as protesters.

manu1959
03-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey it's a job and many get a small amount of pay for the groups they represent as protesters.

iteresting, so there are companies that fund civil disobediance and disruoption of the american economy in a time of war.....if i was attorney general i would put thoes companies out of business for treason.....

it isn't free speach in my book if it is paid for

Dilloduck
03-17-2007, 11:24 AM

well let's see------taxpayers pay Hallibuton, Halliburton pays Soros, Soros pays Moveon.org, MoveOn.org pays protestors. I guesss they'ree all on the government payroll. :laugh2:

Gunny
03-17-2007, 11:28 AM

BS. It's called "breaking the law."

manu1959
03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
well let's see------taxpayers pay Hallibuton, Halliburton pays Soros, Soros pays Moveon.org, MoveOn.org pays protestors. I guesss they'ree all on the government payroll. :laugh2:

hey now .... haliburton was good when they got no bid contract during the blow job years to help rebuild eastern europe

Gunny
03-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Civil disobedience = countless taxdollars being wasted to babysit morons who think that the right to redress grievances includes interfering with society and following only those laws they agree with.

"Civil" just tries to put a white collar spin on it.

krisy
03-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Civil disobedience = countless taxdollars being wasted to babysit morons who think that the right to redress grievances includes interfering with society and following only those laws they agree with.

Sounds pretty accurate to me:clap:

Hobbit
03-17-2007, 12:54 PM

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/wcower7.gif

03-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Breaking the law is breaking the law.

manu1959
03-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Breaking the law is breaking the law.

great song.......

Sitarro
03-18-2007, 12:24 AM
What would be funny would be to quiz these "patriots" with a world map....see how many could find the United States then see how many could find Iraq. Could you point out either of them LN? How about you Lily?:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Hobbit
03-18-2007, 01:41 AM
What would be funny would be to quiz these "patriots" with a world map....see how many could find the United States then see how many could find Iraq. Could you point out either of them LN? How about you Lily?:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I have a good patriotism quiz. I'll post it in the lounge.