PDA

View Full Version : Senate passes $700B 'sweetened' rescue package

Yurt
10-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Senate passes $700B 'sweetened' rescue package

After one spectacular failure, the $700 billion financial industry bailout found a second life Wednesday, winning lopsided passage in the Senate and gaining ground in the House, where Republicans opposition softened.

Senators loaded the economic rescue bill with tax breaks and other sweeteners before passing it by a wide margin, 74-25, a month before the presidential and congressional elections.

In the House, leaders were working feverishly to convert enough opponents of the bill to push it through by Friday, just days after lawmakers there stunningly rejected an earlier version and sent markets plunging around the globe.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/national_and_world/story/485427.html

Yurt
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
74-25....unbelievable

so let me understand this...they take 700 billion of our money and then give us tax breaks....do they even have a clue what a budget is

red states rule
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Senate passes $700B 'sweetened' rescue package

After one spectacular failure, the $700 billion financial industry bailout found a second life Wednesday, winning lopsided passage in the Senate and gaining ground in the House, where Republicans opposition softened.

Senators loaded the economic rescue bill with tax breaks and other sweeteners before passing it by a wide margin, 74-25, a month before the presidential and congressional elections.

In the House, leaders were working feverishly to convert enough opponents of the bill to push it through by Friday, just days after lawmakers there stunningly rejected an earlier version and sent markets plunging around the globe.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/national_and_world/story/485427.html

Yippe

More of tax dollars pissed thru. I saw a few hours ago it was up to $810 billion now it is back to $700 billion

I would love to be a breakdown of the pork that is in the bill

Yurt
10-01-2008, 08:59 PM
hey, why not make it a cool trillion, then we could have like a terabyte bill or something snazzie

has this bill even been promised as the "final" bill to us (pun on "bill")

Yurt
10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
question:

where exactly does this money come from?

red states rule
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
hey, why not make it a cool trillion, then we could have like a terabyte bill or something snazzie

has this bill even been promised as the "final" bill to us (pun on "bill")

Why not? Obama can get more money to rehab homes in his district

REDWHITEBLUE2
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
ASSHOLES

10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
What was the roll call?

red states rule
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
What was the roll call?

75 for

24 against

AFbombloader
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I hope they realize we will NEVER get out from under the hundreds of billions of dollars they have taken from our pockets. NEVER!

10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
75 for

24 against

That's not what i was asking.

10-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I hope they realize we will NEVER get out from under the hundreds of billions of dollars they have taken from our pockets. NEVER!

I wouldnt say never. We just might have to pay for it in blood.

Kathianne
10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
74-25....unbelievable

so let me understand this...they take 700 billion of our money and then give us tax breaks....do they even have a clue what a budget is

Consider. If you still think wrong, time to write your rep. It passed the Senate, now going to have to be reconciled in the House.

Mr. P
10-01-2008, 09:28 PM
This bill NEEDS to FAIL! The market is already looking to open down in the morning. Why? because as I said yesterday...the big boys on the street play everyone like a violin. They'll drop the market tomorrow to pressure the house to pass this, just watch.

I say let em SINK, we don't need this type of business practice!

We can deal with this.

red states rule
10-01-2008, 09:29 PM
That's not what i was asking.

Sorry

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=2&vote=00213

Yurt
10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Consider. If you still think wrong, time to write your rep. It passed the Senate, now going to have to be reconciled in the House.

contacted issa, he is against it.....but mayhap my phone call will not be trusted and thought of as spam

10-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=2&vote=00213

exactly what i wanted to see... I wish i had some real representation in the Senate. Come to think of it i dont have any at all in Washington.

Kathianne
10-01-2008, 09:57 PM
exactly what i wanted to see... I wish i had some real representation in the Senate. Come to think of it i dont have any at all in Washington.

You and me both. My best bets are both in the House, Kirk, who's not really my rep and Roskum, who's fighting a real battle now to stay in. I haven't any senators, they both ignore what they disagee with, Obama and Durbin.

manu1959
10-01-2008, 10:41 PM
question:

the banks loan it to the tax payers with interest who in turn loan it to the banks.....go to kuciniches website.....

Yurt
10-01-2008, 11:25 PM
the banks loan it to the tax payers with interest who in turn loan it to the banks.....go to kuciniches website.....

there is a ton of stuff there, is it in any particular location? and who are these "banks" with so much money? 700 billion?

KitchenKitten99
10-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Since when did Feingold (D-WI) grow a pair??

Gaffer
10-02-2008, 06:19 AM
The first step is to vote against all incumbents. Getting rid of 70% of the congress running for office this year will shake them to their rotten bones.

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 07:46 AM
McCain Yea
Obama Yea

I'm for voting "None of the Above" on the Presidential Ticket.

BTW for once I agree with my Democratic Senator, Bill Nelson.

Immie

AFbombloader
10-02-2008, 08:24 AM
The first step is to vote against all incumbents. Getting rid of 70% of the congress running for office this year will shake them to their rotten bones.

I agree. Luckily I get back in the country on 2 Nov, just in time to vote on the 4th. will there be a box to check "Anybody but the ASSES who are already there?:finger3:

namvet
10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Here, little piggies!!!!!

don't forget the pork added

The special provisions include tax breaks for:

* Manufacturers of kids' wooden arrows - $6 million.

* Puerto Rican and Virgin Is- lands rum producers - $192 million.

* Wool research.

* Auto-racing tracks - $128 million.

* Corporations operating in American Samoa - $33 million.

* Small- to medium-budget film and television productions - $10 million.

Congressional deal-brookers yesterday slopped a mess of pork into the $700 billion financial rescue bill passed by the Senate last night - including a tax break for makers of kids' wooden arrows - in a bid to lure reluctant lawmakers into voting for the package

source (source)

PostmodernProphet
10-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Here, little piggies!!!!!

don't forget the pork added

The special provisions include tax breaks for:

* Manufacturers of kids' wooden arrows - $6 million.

* Puerto Rican and Virgin Is- lands rum producers - $192 million.

* Wool research.

* Auto-racing tracks - $128 million.

* Corporations operating in American Samoa - $33 million.

* Small- to medium-budget film and television productions - $10 million.

source (source)

I hope you aren't serious.....

namvet
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM

you mean the article. this is nothing new. they been doing it for years. here's the pig book. by year:
pork (pork) you'll see where you tax's have really gone to.

red states rule
10-02-2008, 10:18 AM

Sorry to say, he is right

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=18300

namvet
10-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Sorry to say, he is right

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=18300

didn't see the post..............

red states rule
10-02-2008, 10:34 AM
didn't see the post..............

No problem. If you find anything else on the pork post it on my thread. I am waiting for more examples of how our tax dollars are being pissed thru

Mr. P
10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
This bill NEEDS to FAIL! The market is already looking to open down in the morning. Why? because as I said yesterday...the big boys on the street play everyone like a violin. They'll drop the market tomorrow to pressure the house to pass this, just watch.

I say let em SINK, we don't need this type of business practice!

We can deal with this.

What did I say?

Dow -251.77 -2.32% 10,579.30
NASDAQ -60.78 -2.94% 2,008.62
S&P -32.31 -2.78% 1,128.75
DJ Wilshire 5000 -358.88 -3.04% 11,449.92
Russell 2000 -20.80 -3.10% 650.79
Philadelphia Semiconductor -10.51 -3.47% 292.72
Dow Transports -330.74 -7.23% 4,245.63
Dow Utilities -10.51 -2.45% 418.80
NYSE Composite -264.13 -3.51% 7,255.82
AMEX Composite -40.05 -2.18% 1,792.94
Morningstar Index -87.30 -3.07% 2,756.45

Yurt
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
http://www.utoledo.edu/library/carlson/exhibits/gypsy/images/Gypsy_fortune_teller.jpg

Mr. P
10-02-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.utoledo.edu/library/carlson/exhibits/gypsy/images/Gypsy_fortune_teller.jpg

No ball...just experience trading with these yahoos. They have a tremendous amount of power to manipulate the market to their advantage and gain.

Yurt
10-03-2008, 06:51 PM
this, this, is unbelievable...

"Let's not kid ourselves: We're in the midst of a recession. It's going to be a rough ride, but it will be a whole lot rougher ride" without the rescue plan, said Rep. John A. Boehner, R-Ohio, the minority leader, as he prepared to cast his vote for the most sweeping federal intervention in markets in decades.

i am tired of people comparing this to the big recession. we are not even close to that, we haven't even touched the top of that recession....give me a break!

anecdotal story:

since i am low man on the totem pole, i get to make house calls....so my call two days ago(which i think may have contributed to this flu/cold) was a nice lady who could not afford to drive 30 miles...i get to her apartment complex........a pool, hot tub....she has a dishwasher and balcony....

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2008, 08:03 PM
speaking of :pee:

:laugh2:

Yippe

More of tax dollars pissed thru. I saw a few hours ago it was up to $810 billion now it is back to $700 billion

I would love to be a breakdown of the pork that is in the bill

bullypulpit
10-04-2008, 05:11 AM
74-25....unbelievable

Two terms under Chimpy McPresident and you STILL have to ask that question? And they didn't give US anything except a right royal screwing.

bullypulpit
10-04-2008, 05:13 AM
What did I say?

Dow -251.77 -2.32% 10,579.30
NASDAQ -60.78 -2.94% 2,008.62
S&P -32.31 -2.78% 1,128.75
DJ Wilshire 5000 -358.88 -3.04% 11,449.92
Russell 2000 -20.80 -3.10% 650.79
Philadelphia Semiconductor -10.51 -3.47% 292.72
Dow Transports -330.74 -7.23% 4,245.63
Dow Utilities -10.51 -2.45% 418.80
NYSE Composite -264.13 -3.51% 7,255.82
AMEX Composite -40.05 -2.18% 1,792.94
Morningstar Index -87.30 -3.07% 2,756.45

It'll be interesting to see how foreign markets react, and see if the dollar's freefall finally hits terminal velocity.

bullypulpit
10-04-2008, 05:14 AM
question:

China and the treasury's printing presses.

bullypulpit
10-04-2008, 05:19 AM
I wouldnt say never. We just might have to pay for it in blood.

Why d'you think the 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team is returning home to take up "<a href=http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/09/army_homeland_090708w/>homeland security duties</a>", which include helping "with civil unrest and crowd control" in violation of <i>posse comitatus</i>

red states rule
10-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Two terms under Chimpy McPresident and you STILL have to ask that question? And they didn't give US anything except a right royal screwing.

Hey Stooge, who runs the House and Senate? Which party ran to the TV cameras after the bill passed, and were all smiles?

If you think you are screwed now, wait and see how bad it will get with Obama, Reid, and Pelsoi running the government

Yurt
10-04-2008, 01:49 PM

bush does not control the legislative branch and who has been in power there for two years? democrats....he is in the executive branch...nice try

bullypulpit
10-04-2008, 07:36 PM
bush does not control the legislative branch and who has been in power there for two years? democrats....he is in the executive branch...nice try

For six years, the GOP controlled the House and Senate. For two years the Democratic 'majority' has been to small to have any real effect in the Senate and only somewhat better in the House...and no veto proof majority. Nice try.

red states rule
10-04-2008, 07:39 PM
For six years, the GOP controlled the House and Senate. For two years the Democratic 'majority' has been to small to have any real effect in the Senate and only somewhat better in the House...and no veto proof majority. Nice try.

Yet in the House, Dems only need a simple majority to pass things - yet Pelosi has forgotten all the promises she made during the 2006 election

Funny, when Dems were the minority, libs screamed about the rights of the minority to be heard. No those same libs call the same actions by Republicans obstruction

red states rule
10-04-2008, 07:51 PM

and what has the House accomplished in the last 2 years BP? Since MFM is to big a coward to respond to my posts, why don't you give it a shot?

Here are SOME of the borken promises of the Dems - spin away

Promise: “Breaking with many Democrats, Ms. Pelosi also spoke out against earmarking billions of dollars for home-state projects, a practice she calls a ‘monster’ that hurts Congress. ‘I’d get rid of all of them,’ she says. ‘None of them is worth the skepticism, the cynicism the public has . . . and the fiscal irresponsibility of it.’” – “Pelosi Promises Fiscal Restraint If Democrats Win,” Wall Street Journal, July 13, 2006

Broken Promise: “Ranking Democrats vowed in December to put a moratorium on earmarks; instead, a record number infect legislation pending in Congress, with 32,000 requests this year, compared with about 13,000 in 2006 …. Ideally, congressional Democrats would keep their pledge to ban earmarks altogether.” – “Earmark Chicanery,” Press-Enterprise (Riverside, CA) Editorial, June 20, 2007

Promise: “Another key Democratic reform requires House members seeking earmarks to certify that neither they nor their spouses have any financial interest in the project.” – “In the Democratic Congress, Pork Still Gets Served,” Washington Post, May 24, 2007

Broken Promise: “[Pelosi] requested $25 million for a project to improve the waterfront in her home district of San Francisco. Her request did not note that her family owns interests in four buildings near the proposed Pier 35 project.” – “In the Democratic Congress, Pork Still Gets Served,” Washington Post, May 24, 2007

Promise: “At the beginning of a Congress, the Speaker or his designee and the Minority Leader or his designee each shall name 10 Members, Delegates, or the Resident Commissioner from his respective party who are not members of the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct to be available to serve on investigative subcommittees of that committee during that Congress.” – Democrats’ House Rules Package, Clause 5 of rule 10

Broken Promise: “Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) has yet to name for this Congress the Democrats’ 10 member ‘ethics pool’ – the group of Members preselected by their respective party leaders to serve on investigative subcommittees as they are needed.” – “No Sign of Life in Jefferson Ethics Probe,” Roll Call, May 24, 2007

Promise: “In an election in which exit polls identified corruption as the No. 1 voting issue and Washington’s biggest corruption scandal involved lobbying, Democrats won in part by promising to curtail K Street’s excesses. Pelosi has said her first act as Speaker of the House in January will be to pass new rules limiting contact between lobbyists and lawmakers.” – “When the Democrats Take Back K Street,” Time, December 4, 2006

Broken Promise: “Now that they are running things, many Democrats want to keep the big campaign donations and lavish parties that lobbyists put together for them. They’re also having second thoughts about having to wait an extra year before they can become high-paid lobbyists themselves should they retire or be defeated at the polls.” – “Lobbying Reform Losing Steam in House,” Associated Press, May 11, 2007

Promise: “Democrats have a plan to lower gas prices…join Democrats who are working to lower gas prices now.” – Then-Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Press Release, April 19, 2006

Broken Promise: “The average price of gasoline hit $3.218 a gallon Monday, up a stunning 11.5 cents the past week and just half a penny shy of the inflation-adjusted record, the government reported. The average is almost certain this week to pass the inflation-adjusted high of $3.223, recorded in May 1981 by the Energy Information Administration.” – “Average Gasoline Price Nears 1981 Average,” USA Today, May 22, 2007. Democrats have been in power for six months, and gas prices have gone up, not down.

Promise: “To free America from dependence on foreign oil, we will achieve energy independence for America by 2020 by eliminating reliance on oil from the Middle East and other unstable regions of the world.” – Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) “A New Direction for America,” Page 6

Broken Promise: During the first six months of the Democrat-controlled Congress, no energy independence legislation has been passed by the House, much less sent to the President’s desk. But 228 Democrats voted to impose more than $6.5 billion in new taxes on small and independent American energy producers, which will lead to less domestic supply, higher prices for consumers, and an increase in America’s dependence on foreign sources. – Roll Call Vote #40, January 18, 2007

Promise: “‘Next year, members of the House will be expected in the Capitol for votes each week by 6:30p.m. Monday and will finish their business about 2pm Friday,’ Hoyer said.” – “Culture Shock on Capitol Hill: House to Work Five Days a Week,” Washington Post, December 6, 2006

Broken Promise: Of the 21 weeks in session through June 22, 2007, only six have included full five-day work weeks. – Office of the Clerk Web Site

Promise: “Bills should generally come to the floor under a procedure that allows open, full, and fair debate consisting of a full amendment process that grants the Minority the right to offer its alternatives, including a substitute.” – Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) “A New Direction For America,” Page 24

Broken Promise: “Democrats are wielding a heavy hand on the House Rules Committee, committing many of the procedural sins for which they condemned Republicans during their 12 years in power. So far this year, Democrats have frequently prevented Republicans from offering amendments, limited debate in the committee and, just last week, maneuvered around chamber rules to protect a $23 million project for Rep. John P. Murtha (D-Pa.).” – “Dems Bend Rules, Break Pledge,” The Politico, May 17, 2007

Broken Promise: “But instead of allowing Republicans to fully participate in deliberations, as promised after the Democratic victory in the Nov. 7 midterm elections, Democrats now say they will use House rules to prevent the opposition from offering alternative measures, assuring speedy passage of the bills and allowing their party to trumpet early victories.” – “Democrats to Start Without GOP Input,” Washington Post, January 2, 2007

http://republicanleader.house.gov/brokenpromises/index.html

Yurt
10-04-2008, 10:23 PM

so then you admit that the dems, who fought so hard for a majority, don't really matter, to small............no effect......thanks for voting dem...bully, you voted to make our government ineffectual....according to you.

come on bully, you knowl, as well as i, the power of the legislative branch, or are you saying, that the executive branch holds all the power?

red states rule
10-06-2008, 09:53 AM
so then you admit that the dems, who fought so hard for a majority, don't really matter, to small............no effect......thanks for voting dem...bully, you voted to make our government ineffectual....according to you.

come on bully, you knowl, as well as i, the power of the legislative branch, or are you saying, that the executive branch holds all the power?

Seems like the cat has BP's tongue :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
10-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Seems like the cat has BP's tongue :laugh2:

meow?

sorry couldnt resist

:lol:

red states rule
10-06-2008, 10:20 AM
meow?

sorry couldnt resist

:lol:

BP has a habit of tucking his tail between his legs and scampering away when the facts get in the way of his rants and talking points

Mr. P
10-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Well, I guess the bail out plan just ain't enough for these MORONS!

Dow -468.48 -4.54% 9,856.90
NASDAQ -109.48 -5.62% 1,837.91
S&P -55.21 -5.02% 1,044.02
DJ Wilshire 5000 -582.22 -5.23% 10,540.76
Russell 2000 -30.57 -4.94% 588.83
Philadelphia Semiconductor -14.90 -5.23% 269.84
Dow Transports -167.33 -4.05% 3,967.22
Dow Utilities -20.53 -4.99% 391.18
NYSE Composite -429.38 -6.06% 6,659.56
AMEX Composite -143.78 -8.23% 1,603.79
Morningstar Index -133.57 -4.99% 2,544.64

red states rule
10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
If Obama gets in, and is able to implement his economic plan; he will make sure our unemplyment checks are printed on recycled paper

That will make his supporters very happy

namvet
10-06-2008, 05:43 PM
If Obama gets in, and is able to implement his economic plan; he will make sure our unemplyment checks are printed on recycled paper

That will make his supporters very happy

and eatable to