PDA

View Full Version : DISH Network Offers the Obama Channel

red states rule
10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Obama must think people are so obsessed with him they will watch the same thing over and over

The Obama channel

ChanNenel 73 on the Dish Network is now The Obama Channel.

Obama's media buying strategy has been marked by a willingness to work the angles, and to try to pick up a few votes at the margins. The decision to go to everything from extensive radio buys to odd-hour infomercials reflects the fact that the campaign media buyers spend a lot of time thinking about how much persuasion any given dollar can buy, and given a very cheap format -- late night cable channels that need filler, for instance -- will settle for a thimblefull of persuasion.

The satellite channel is the latest of these marginal gambits: Three readers from different parts of the country email that Channel 073-00 on the Dish Network is now labeled OBAMA. ("What is up with Sen. Obama having his own channel?" asks a St. Louis reader.) The channel plays his two-minute ad laying out his economic plan on a loop, over and over.

The only explanation: The media buyers think they can reach enough people per dollar to make it worth the odd buy.

The channel's appearance has provoked scorn and alarm on conservative blogs, though, and some discussion on a forum for Satellite TV aficionados, where one user writes that a Dish Network executive emailed to reassure the user that it "is paid advertising by the Obama campaign and is not an endorsement of Senator Obama by DISH Network" and will broadcast through November 4.

Dish Network spokesman Parker McConachie confirmed the forum account, and stressed that the channel is paid advertising, and not a corporate endorsement.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/The_Obama_channel.html

Nukeman
10-02-2008, 06:38 AM
I saw this last night. It was rather funny to see the "Obama channel" pop up as we were searching the channels.....

red states rule
10-02-2008, 06:40 AM
I saw this last night. It was rather funny to see the "Obama channel" pop up as we were searching the channels.....

and I thought MSNBC was the Obama channel

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Hey, isn't Obama for "The Fairness Doctrine"? Doesn't that mean that Channel 73 needs to give Republicans time to rebut his lies... er campaign promises. Eh, lies or campaign promises what's the difference?

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Hey, isn't Obama for "The Fairness Doctrine"? Doesn't that mean that Channel 73 needs to give Republicans time to rebut his lies... er campaign promises. Eh, lies or campaign promises what's the difference?

Immie

Like most liberals, Obama supports only LIBERAL free speech.

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Like most liberals, Obama supports only LIBERAL free speech.

Do you have a :link: or two to back up your accusation?

I'm not a fan of Barack Obama but to simply make such a claim is not really fair. It seems kind of biased in my humble opinion.

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Do you have a :link: or two to back up your accusation?

I'm not a fan of Barack Obama but to simply make such a claim is not really fair. It seems kind of biased in my humble opinion.

Immie

Here is one example

http://www.stoptheaclu.com/archives/2008/08/28/obama-campaign-tries-to-shut-down-chicago-radio-show/

It is a fact the "Fairness Doctrine" will silence conservative talk radio - which a Pres Obama will probably sign since Reid and Pelosi want to pass it

Oh, and here is another. This is from Obama supporters - but I would not be surprised if the Obama campaign is not behind it

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/google-shuts-down-anti-obama-blogs/

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Here is one example

http://www.stoptheaclu.com/archives/2008/08/28/obama-campaign-tries-to-shut-down-chicago-radio-show/

It is a fact the "Fairness Doctrine" will silence conservative talk radio - which a Pres Obama will probably sign since Reid and Pelosi want to pass it

Oh, and here is another. This is from Obama supporters - but I would not be surprised if the Obama campaign is not behind it

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/google-shuts-down-anti-obama-blogs/

Thanks for the links. I only hope others read them.

I haven't had a chance to read the full articles but I find the second one interesting. The thought that anyone can shut down a blog for hours or maybe even days by simply complaining to Google is amazing to me. I would not put it past any politician to attempt to do this.

It puts another light on the discussion between Yurt and MFM, about multiple phone calls to Congressmen to sway their votes, doesn't it?

Immie

AFbombloader
10-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Immie

I thought the same thing. There is supposed to be equal airtime on tv, does that apply to sattelite tv also?

One more reason for me to change satelite providers!

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 08:06 AM
I thought the same thing. There is supposed to be equal airtime on tv, does that apply to sattelite tv also?

I don't know if it does or not, and liberals on the site have claimed it doesn't require "equal" time. But, surely it requires some time for rebuttal.

Think McCain will get it?

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 08:08 AM

I am sure you are not alone

BTW, "Fairness" means Democrats running unopposed by Republicans

Yurt
10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
since we are in THE AGE OF OBAMA i don't see a problem with this...

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 12:50 PM
since we are in THE AGE OF OBAMA i don't see a problem with this...

I read a couple of posts of yours in the past 20 minutes or so about the "Age of Obama" and now the song the "Age of Aquarius" is going through my head. I could have done without that thank you very much!

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I read a couple of posts of yours in the past 20 minutes or so about the "Age of Obama" and now the song the "Age of Aquarius" is going through my head. I could have done without that thank you very much!

Immie

http://www.theodoresworld.net/pics/0308/faintersImage4.jpg

Yurt
10-02-2008, 01:01 PM

Immie

Ehhhh...............Macarena

:dance:

retiredman
10-02-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't know if it does or not, and liberals on the site have claimed it doesn't require "equal" time. But, surely it requires some time for rebuttal.

Think McCain will get it?

Immie

I think that Obama bought the channel. Seems like a legitimate campaign expense to me. McCain is certainly free to buy his own channel. I would think that the makers of Lunesta and Ambien might strenuously object, however, because it would certainly reduce demand for THEIR products.
;)

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I think that Obama bought the channel. Seems like a legitimate campaign expense to me. McCain is certainly free to buy his own channel. I would think that the makers of Lunesta and Ambien might strenuously object, however, because it would certainly reduce demand for THEIR products.
;)

"This is an Obama campaign sales event! Be one of the first 1000 voters and get a free Koran, prayer rug, and Obama T shirt."

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 01:27 PM
;)

:cheers2:

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
It's bad enough we have to listen to this arrogant megalomaniac on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, CNN, and other channels, but 24 hours of listening to his liberal rants?

Pass the barf bag!

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
It's bad enough we have to listen to this arrogant megalomaniac on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, CNN, and other channels, but 24 hours of listening to his liberal rants?

Pass the barf bag!

Just think of what it will be like next year if McCain doesn't pull off some miracle in the next month?

Wait... I think I will buy stock in Pepto Bismal! Hell, in 8 years I'll be richer then John Heinz-Kerry! Hell, maybe I can run for President? I'll never be that much of an elitist though. I promise never to forget my middle class roots unlike one of today's current candidates.

In fact, I will make my first campaign promise here and now. Believe me when I say, I won't forget you guys.

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Just think of what it will be like next year if McCain doesn't pull off some miracle in the next month?

Wait... I think I will buy stock in Pepto Bismal! Hell, in 8 years I'll be richer then John Heinz-Kerry! Hell, maybe I can run for President? I'll never be that much of an elitist though. I promise never to forget my middle class roots unlike one of today's current candidates.

In fact, I will make my first campaign promise here and now. Believe me when I say, I won't forget you guys.

Immie

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/FinlayZJ/Obamanation-1.jpg

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 01:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/FinlayZJ/Obamanation-1.jpg

I saw that on the other thread. I like it. :D

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 02:04 PM
http://papundits.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/obamathemarxist.jpg

red states rule
10-02-2008, 02:33 PM
;)

Interesting point: has Dish Network charged the campaign full price or has there been a discount? What are the particulars of the deal?

If so, then aren't subscribers being forced to underwrite a politican's broadcast?

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Interesting point: has Dish Network charged the campaign full price or has there been a discount? What are the particulars of the deal?

If so, then aren't subscribers being forced to underwrite a politican's broadcast?

Don't be surprised if you find it in the pork of the Bailout. Probably something in there that says $98 million to satellite broadcasting organizations for special programming.

Meaning that Obama passed the cost down to us.

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Don't be surprised if you find it in the pork of the Bailout. Probably something in there that says $98 million to satellite broadcasting organizations for special programming.

Meaning that Obama passed the cost down to us.

Immie

There went our "tax cut" he promised. After all, this was for the common good :rolleyes:

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 02:44 PM
There went our "tax cut" he promised. After all, this was for the common good :rolleyes:

Well, if it is played late night, it might, as MFM stated, cure insomnia. Being an occasional insomniac, I can state that it might be a good thing.

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, if it is played late night, it might, as MFM stated, cure insomnia. Being an occasional insomniac, I can state that it might be a good thing.

Immie

It is an endless loop playing 24/7

Now that would be torture in my book if they forced terrorists to watch the channel

Trinity
10-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Obama must think people are so obsessed with him they will watch the same thing over and over

The Obama channel

ChanNenel 73 on the Dish Network is now The Obama Channel.

Obama's media buying strategy has been marked by a willingness to work the angles, and to try to pick up a few votes at the margins. The decision to go to everything from extensive radio buys to odd-hour infomercials reflects the fact that the campaign media buyers spend a lot of time thinking about how much persuasion any given dollar can buy, and given a very cheap format -- late night cable channels that need filler, for instance -- will settle for a thimblefull of persuasion.

The satellite channel is the latest of these marginal gambits: Three readers from different parts of the country email that Channel 073-00 on the Dish Network is now labeled OBAMA. ("What is up with Sen. Obama having his own channel?" asks a St. Louis reader.) The channel plays his two-minute ad laying out his economic plan on a loop, over and over.

The only explanation: The media buyers think they can reach enough people per dollar to make it worth the odd buy.

The channel's appearance has provoked scorn and alarm on conservative blogs, though, and some discussion on a forum for Satellite TV aficionados, where one user writes that a Dish Network executive emailed to reassure the user that it "is paid advertising by the Obama campaign and is not an endorsement of Senator Obama by DISH Network" and will broadcast through November 4.

Dish Network spokesman Parker McConachie confirmed the forum account, and stressed that the channel is paid advertising, and not a corporate endorsement.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/The_Obama_channel.html

I knew there was a reason I got rid of Dish and went with Directv......................... oh and because Dish's customer service sucks too!!!!

red states rule
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
I knew there was a reason I got rid of Dish and went with Directv......................... oh and because Dish's customer service sucks too!!!!

Even the biggest Obama supporters must have better things to do with their time.

Well, maybe not :laugh2:

stephanie
10-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Just think, the Obambam can now sit around and watch himself 24/7..that must give him a woodie..

red states rule
10-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Just think, the Obambam can now sit around and watch himself 24/7..that must give him a woodie..

Hammas has a TV station. Also, Saddam Hussein had his own channel. Nothing new at all.

Silver
10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
The arrogance is astounding....

I'd be pissed if McCain pulled a stunt like this.....

red states rule
10-03-2008, 06:35 AM
The arrogance is astounding....

I'd be pissed if McCain pulled a stunt like this.....

If you listen to Obama supporters, why does he even have to campaign for President? Right now the election is over, so lets save time and give the job to the messiah; if you believe the liberal media

Yurt
10-03-2008, 11:29 AM

and chris mathews

i still laugh when i remember him saying on national tv how obama gives him a tingle up his leg