PDA

View Full Version : "Reporter" Fired For Wearing Obama T-Shirt

red states rule
10-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Someone is gointg to be sued over this. This "reporter" was covering an Obama rally for her employer, and was wearing an Obama T-shirt while doing so

Maybe she can join Gwen and we can have 2 unbiased "reporters" as mods

Reporter Fired For Wearing Obama T-Shirt While Covering Obama Rally
Posted on October 2, 2008

-By Warner Todd Huston

15 year Detroit radio reporter was fired for wearing an Obama T-Shirt while on the job covering an Obama rally. As a result of this major breach of ethics, WWJ Newsradio 950 showed reporter Karen Dinkins the door — that’s right, she was fired.

I must say that it is pretty amazing to see a media outlet uphold ethics like this, especially in Detroit. But there you have it.

According to the local Fox affiliate, the radio station issued a press release.

WWJ Newsradio 950 Believes that our credibility with our listeners rests on the independence of our newsroom staff.

WWJ does not favor any candidate, party or issue.

While we encourage employees to exercise their rights as citizens, we expect them to be on guard against any actual or perceived conflict of interest when covering news stories.

Georgeann Herbert
Director of Programming

The TV station quotes a professor to the effect that the reporter should more properly been suspended instead of fired and that she will probably go to the courts and end up getting her job back. And, more’s the shame there. If ethics mean anything at all there really should be consequences.

But, at least the station took a stand.

http://www.stoptheaclu.com/archives/2008/10/02/reporter-fired-for-wearing-obama-t-shirt-while-covering-obama-rally/

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
I wonder if it was warranted to fire her.

It seems to me like a warning would have been appropriate and possibly an unpaid suspension, but firing her for a single mistake? Not sure that was the right thing to do here especially if she was a good reporter.

Immie

stephanie
10-02-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm sure the Obambam will personally swoop in there and get that persons job back for them...After all they wearing the tee shirt of "THE ONE" :laugh2:

red states rule
10-02-2008, 10:41 AM

It seems to me like a warning would have been appropriate and possibly an unpaid suspension, but firing her for a single mistake? Not sure that was the right thing to do here especially if she was a good reporter.

Immie

I thought a reporter was to report who, what, wher, when, how, and why. This gal went way over the line and her bias was clear

I want to remind you Fox News fired a reporter who stated on air to John McCain, she was going to vote for him

2008 is the year real journalism died. the bias of the medis towards Obama is sickening

red states rule
10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
I'm sure the Obambam will personally swoop in there and get that persons job back for them...After all they wearing the tee shirt of "THE ONE" :laugh2:

He will play the race card in her defense

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM
I thought a reporter was to report who, what, wher, when, how, and why. This gal went way over the line and her bias was clear

I want to remind you Fox News fired a reporter who stated on air to John McCain, she was going to vote for him

2008 is the year real journalism died. the bias of the medis towards Obama is sickening

She didn't do anything wrong. She was covering an Obama rally and wearing an Obama T-shirt. She should have been suspended and a statement should have been made on the air that the station did not promote Obama. If she had done her job well before this, then a suspension was warranted. Firing her was over the top.

That goes the same for the Fox News reporter you mention here, that I don't know anything about.

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 10:53 AM
She didn't do anything wrong. She was covering an Obama rally and wearing an Obama T-shirt. She should have been suspended and a statement should have been made on the air that the station did not promote Obama. If she had done her job well before this, then a suspension was warranted. Firing her was over the top.

That goes the same for the Fox News reporter you mention here, that I don't know anything about.

Immie

Here is the Fox News link

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2013693/posts

Again, this reporter crossed the line and should have fired. She has no objectivity

Nukeman
10-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I pulled out the important part of the story and here it is

15 year Detroit radio reporter was fired for wearing an Obama T-Shirt while on the job covering an Obama rally. As a result of this major breach of ethics, WWJ Newsradio 950 showed reporter Karen Dinkins the door — that’s right, she was fired.

She is a freaking RADIO reporter who the hell is going to see her t-shirt. this is stupid through and through......

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Here is the Fox News link

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2013693/posts

Again, this reporter crossed the line and should have fired. She has no objectivity

Every reporter has a favorite candidate. Every reporter has a bias. Simply because most reporters don't slip up and wear a T-shirt for their chosen candidate does not nullify that.

She made a mistake. Heck, if I were fired for my first mistake I would probably never have held a job for more than two or three hours.

Immie

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I pulled out the important part of the story and here it is

She is a freaking RADIO reporter who the hell is going to see her t-shirt. this is stupid through and through......

I had missed that, Nuke, good catch. Something tells me, someone at the station had it out for her.

Immie

Nukeman
10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Every reporter has a favorite candidate. Every reporter has a bias. Simply because most reporters don't slip up and wear a T-shirt for their chosen candidate does not nullify that.

She made a mistake. Heck, if I were fired for my first mistake I would probably never have held a job for more than two or three hours.

Immie
Agreed. Like I said she is a "radio reporter" probabaly rarely thinks about her dress as being an issue!!!!!

red states rule
10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I had missed that, Nuke, good catch. Something tells me, someone at the station had it out for her.

Immie

As I said, they will play the race card. She was fired her for a lack of objectivity

red states rule
10-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Immie

It is not a slip up to wear an Obama t-shirt. In 2006, all objectivity died in the news room

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
It is not a slip up to wear an Obama t-shirt. In 2006, all objectivity died in the news room

As Nuke pointed out... it was on the radio... who would have known she was wearing it except for Obama supporters?

Immie

Abbey Marie
10-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Given Hussein's god-like status among Dems, her lawyer should charge the firing violated her Constitutional right to the free exercise of her religion.

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Given Hussein's god-like status among Dems, her lawyer should charge the firing violated her Constitutional right to the free exercise of her religion.

Thanks a whole hell of a lot... now I have to go find a rag to clean off my monitor! I might charge you for that. :D

Immie

Abbey Marie
10-02-2008, 11:28 AM
As Nuke pointed out... it was on the radio... who would have known she was wearing it except for Obama supporters?

Immie

Every other person there, including other media outlets, would see it and draw conclusions about the station's lack of objectivity.

And how do you know how every person there will vote? Perhaps undecided people came to get information to help them decide. Finally, TV stations regularly cover rallies.

Kudos to the station for doing the right thing. I am sick to death that fear of lawsuits has everyone afraid to take a stand.

namvet
10-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Immie

she knew the rules going in. she broke em. the station did the right thing.

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Every other person there, including other media oulets, would see it and draw conclusions about the stations lack of objectivity.

And how do you know how every person there will vote? Perhaps undecided people came to get information to help them decide. Finally, TV stations regularly cover rallies.

Kudos to the station for doing the right thing. I am sick to death that fear of lawsuits has everyone afraid to take a stand.

she knew the rules going in. she broke em. the station did the right thing.

Obviously I disagree with the both of you.

There is room in the conservative heart for forgiveness (not the liberal heart mind you, but there is in the conservative heart) and it should be excercised here.

And Abbey, it is not the station's inobjectivity. It is a single reporter who made a mistake.

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 11:33 AM

There is room in the conservative heart for forgiveness (not the liberal heart mind you, but there is in the conservative heart) and it should be excercised here.

Immie

They can forgive her but she still must face the consequences of her actions and bad judgement

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
They can forgive her but she still must face the consequences of her actions and bad judgement

And I suppose she can forgive them as she's laughing in line at the bank once Obama's lawyers get done with the station. :lol:

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 11:42 AM
And I suppose she can forgive them as she's laughing in line at the bank once Obama's lawyers get done with the station. :lol:

Immie

Yep, they will play the race card and ignore her lack of journalistic ethics. Of course in this election, there are very few examples journalistic ethics to be found

Yurt
10-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Every other person there, including other media oulets, would see it and draw conclusions about the stations lack of objectivity.

great points...it is probably at will employment, so she can be let go....at will...further if it was contractual, i wonder if there is something in the K about those types of actions/behavior

red states rule
10-02-2008, 11:44 AM
great points...it is probably at will employment, so she can be let go....at will...further if it was contractual, i wonder if there is something in the K about those types of actions/behavior

This is a resume enhancement for her. She can easily get a show at MSNBC. Maybe a cohost slot with Chris Matthews or Keith Overbite

She will fit in fine given their journalistic ethics

Abbey Marie
10-02-2008, 11:50 AM

And Abbey, it is not the station's inobjectivity. It is a single reporter who made a mistake.

Immie

What exactly do you disagree with, Immie? Do you think my reasoning is false? Which of my statements about the rally are wrong?

As for your second statement, a company's employees are a huge part of its image to the world. That is true tenfold if those employees are on the airwaves. So, you think any employee who breaks a company's rules should just be forgiven and allowed to carry on? You sure would make a fantastic union boss!

Btw, they can alway fire her, and forgive her trespasses in their hearts. :)

namvet
10-02-2008, 11:55 AM

Immie

come on pal. if she's wearing a McCain shirt her ass is new mown grass.

Noir
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Immie

Exactly, seems very harsh, and she's 15 fer gawds sake, I'm sure a warning would have been more than enough.

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Yep, they will play the race card and ignore her lack of journalistic ethics. Of course in this election, there are very few examples journalistic ethics to be found

Can you really claim to find an ethical journalist in the last say 30-40 years?

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Can you really claim to find an ethical journalist in the last say 30-40 years?

Immie

Up until this election the liberal media at least tried to offer a slight illusion of objectivity. This election they tossed all ethics and objectivity out the window

Abbey Marie
10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Up until this election the liberal media at least tried to offer a slight illusion of objectivity. This election they tossed all ethics and objectivity out the window

I agree, Red.

They are in an all-out war to take back the most powerful position in the world. You cannot fight well wearing a mask.

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 12:03 PM
What exactly do you disagree with, Immie? Do you think my reasoning is false? Which of my statements about the rally are wrong?

As for your second statement, a company's employees are a huge part of its image to the world. That is true tenfold if those employees are on the airwaves. So, you think any employee who breaks a company's rules should just be forgiven and allowed to carry on? You sure would make a fantastic union boss!

Btw, they can alway fire her, and forgive her trespasses in their hearts. :)

Just the harshness of the action. I agree she did wrong. What I don't agree with is that one mistake and your out the door kind of mentality. Like I said, if I were fired for my first mistake, I doubt I would have held any job for more than 3 or 4 hours.

come on pal. if she's wearing a McCain shirt her ass is new mown grass.

No doubt about it, but that doesn't make it right. :D

Exactly, seems very harsh, and she's 15 fer gawds sake, I'm sure a warning would have been more than enough.

Maybe it is that you speak a foreign language. :) English as compared to American. :D j/k but I think the article said she had been employed as a reporter for 15 years, not that she was 15 years old.

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree, Red.

They are in an all-out war to take back for the most powerful position in the world. You cannot fight well wearing a mask.

NBC is the worst offender. They have said the hell with it, and have become the Obama network

If Obama wins, I would not be surprised if Obam rewards the netowrk by manking either Matthews or Overbite his Press Sec

Noir
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
ah.....dammit, looking back on it, the first sentance is horridly written.

But even so, it's really harsh for a first time offence on the radio, I could only imagin what some reps would say if the lady was wearing a McCain t-shirt and was fired.

And as a note the preside t of the USA is not the most powerful ruler, not by a long long way, and the more I study American politics the weaker you realize he is. 90% of the power lies with committees, most specificly the house rules committee, not the pres.

red states rule
10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
ah.....dammit, looking back on it, the first sentance is horridly written.

But even so, it's really harsh for a first time offence on the radio, I could only imagin what some reps would say if the lady was wearing a McCain t-shirt and was fired.

And as a note the preside t of the USA is not the most powerful ruler, not by a long long way, and the more I study American politics the weaker you realize he is. 90% of the power lies with committees, most specificly the house rules committee, not the pres.

A reporter is tell the audience who, what, where, when, and why

A reporter is not to slant the sotry or show their personal views. This has been tossed in the trash by todays liberal media

The station made the right call

Noir
10-02-2008, 12:36 PM
how was she slanting the views by wearing the top while reporting through a radio station?

red states rule
10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
how was she slanting the views by wearing the top while reporting through a radio station?

Abbey explained it very well

Originally Posted by Abbey

Silver
10-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Immie

Immie...you seem to be a nice person, but can you read ??

She was on the job, as a reporter
Out in the public eye (not doing a radio gig )
and Obviously showing a bias to one candidate and one party.....

she should have hidden her bias ...then slant her articles to the left like 98 % of MSM's reporters...

ps...by a radio gig I mean sitting in studio put of the public eye

Silver
10-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Its freekin' scary that so many of you have little to no reading comprehension...

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:15 PM

she should have hidden her bias ...then slant her articles to the left like 98 % of MSM's reporters...

She could loan her shirt to Gwen Ifill to wear tonight

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 01:20 PM

ps...by a radio gig I mean sitting in studio put of the public eye

Maybe I should bow to you since you obviously have never made a mistake on the job.

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Maybe I should bow to you since you obviously have never made a mistake on the job.

Immie

Please Immie, this reporter chose to show her bias, and she has to deal with the results

namvet
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Just the harshness of the action. I agree she did wrong. What I don't agree with is that one mistake and your out the door kind of mentality. Like I said, if I were fired for my first mistake, I doubt I would have held any job for more than 3 or 4 hours.

Maybe it is that you speak a foreign language. :) English as compared to American. :D j/k but I think the article said she had been employed as a reporter for 15 years, not that she was 15 years old.

Immie

No doubt about it, but that doesn't make it right

that makes its biased. period

Abbey Marie
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
She could loan her shirt to Gwen Ifill to wear tonight

:laugh2:

Noir
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Abbey explained it very well

Originally Posted by Abbey

I understand why it was wrong, but at the end of the day it happened, I not saying what she did was right, I'm saying the punisent was too harsh, giving her a warning and saying to everyone else it was not acceptable would have been enough, unless she was specificly told not to I think it's an over reaction

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:31 PM
I understand why it was wrong, but at the end of the day it happened, I not saying what she did was right, I'm saying the punisent was too harsh, giving her a warning and saying to everyone else it was not acceptable would have been enough, unless she was specificly told not to I think it's an over reaction

You would think a 15 year "reporter" would know not to openly show her bias while doing her job and covering a story

If she is that stupid, she nedded to go

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Please Immie, this reporter chose to show her bias, and she has to deal with the results

And I bow to ye also oh great one who's only mistakes are typos. :bow3:

Immie

Noir
10-02-2008, 01:34 PM

does this also apply to newspaper reporters then? Should they be fired if they show bias?

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:37 PM
does this also apply to newspaper reporters then? Should they be fired if they show bias?

It should. If it did 95% of all reporters would be out of a job.

Worse then that, the Obama campaign staff would be cut in huge numbers at the same time

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 01:38 PM

How about talk show hosts like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh?

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:40 PM
How about talk show hosts like Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh?

Immie

First they are NOT reporters, and they openly tell you they are bias and what they believe in

Noir
10-02-2008, 01:40 PM
You would think a 15 year "reporter" would know not to openly show her bias while doing her job and covering a story

If she is that stupid, she nedded to go

Now you are starting to bring in condictions (sp?) and these are very gray areas, one could then say she should not have been sacked if she had only been in the job for 15 months, ergo it was not what she did that was so bad as to get her sacked, and that her age also had a factor

Silver
10-02-2008, 01:41 PM

Immie

You miss the point Im....

A 15 year veteran reporter KNOWS that an ethical reporter is supposed to show no bias in reporting....like a bank teller KNOWS she must keep her hands out of the till....
The boss can overlook any mistake in both these instances but is well within their rights not to.....if she was a new hire I might agree with you....

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Now you are starting to bring in condictions (sp?) and these are very gray areas, one cups then say she should not have been sacked if she had only been in the job for 15 months, ergo it was not what she did that was so bad as to get her sacked, and that her age also had a factor

Any reporter regardless of time on the job should know you do not express your personal views while reporting a story - even though it is a common practice throughtout the media these days

This employer did the right thing.

Silver
10-02-2008, 01:49 PM

In the old days it did apply...back when reporters had and valued their integrity and were proud of their ethics and fairness.....

Biased networks like MSNBC and the like are relatively new...a product of left-wing politics and anti-Conservatism....in my biased opinion....

Biased programs and reporters have always been around to one degree or another....biased entire newspapers and entire networks are kinda new.

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 01:53 PM
You miss the point Im....

A 15 year veteran reporter KNOWS that an ethical reporter is supposed to show no bias in reporting....like a bank teller KNOWS she must keep her hands out of the till....
The boss can overlook any mistake in both these instances but is well within their rights not to.....if she was a new hire I might agree with you....

Okay, that is a fair point. After 15 years, it seems she should know what the rules are. I can agree with that.

I still think it is a bit harsh.

It's too late, but I would like to have asked the other conservatives on this thread if they were the employer and their reporter wore a "McCain/Palin" T-shirt, would they have fired the reporter?

I can already tell you what RSR's response would be... "Hell no, I would have promoted her." :D

Immie

red states rule
10-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Okay, that is a fair point. After 15 years, it seems she should know what the rules are. I can agree with that.

It's too late, but I would like to have asked the other conservatives on this thread if they were the employer and their reporter wore a "McCain/Palin" T-shirt, would they have fired the reporter?

I can already tell you what RSR's response would be... "Hell no, I would have promoted her." :D

Immie

She will find another job. Linda Douglas who worked for ABC for many years, joined the Obama campaign. But not before she showed her bias on the air. this "reporter" will not be out of work for long

manu1959
10-02-2008, 03:03 PM
i would imagine she violated the ethics standard written in the employee manual and they fired her for cause......

pretty standard stuff.....we have it at my office....one mistake of this magnitude and you are toast....

Silver
10-02-2008, 03:20 PM

Immie

If she wore a "McCain/Palin" t-shirt to an Obama rally she would have been stoned to death and we wouldn't be having this converstaion....:salute::lol:

red states rule
10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
If she wore a "McCain/Palin" t-shirt to an Obama rally she would have been stoned to death and we wouldn't be having this converstaion....:salute::lol:

and at MSNBC they would have "reported" how she provoked the crowd, and got what she deserved

retiredman
10-02-2008, 03:54 PM

I am curious as to how this is an example of media bias towards Obama:cuckoo:

red states rule
10-02-2008, 03:56 PM

Why am I not surprised you do not get it? :rolleyes:

AFbombloader
10-02-2008, 04:01 PM

We don't know that this was her first offence. She may have been warned in the past. To assume so is not smart. The issue here, radio or not, is that she is the face of the station when she is out on assignment. If the station's ploicy is that they support no candidate or position, she is not doing so by blantantly wearing an Obama shirt. And I feel she was rightly dealt with. Like everyone else has said, if she was wearing a shirt supporting McCain, she would have been fired too (with more fanfare I assume).

AF:salute:

red states rule
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
How long before the ACLU, Rev Al, and Jesse Jackson hits Detroit to play a game of race poker?

retiredman
10-02-2008, 05:13 PM

I mean...if she DIDN'T get fired, that would be an example of media bias towards Obama, it would seem to me.

retiredman
10-02-2008, 05:23 PM
well...I am off to choir practice and then back home to watch Sarah suck on her toes. I'll check back in here to see how the conservative sycophants are fawning over her "performance".:laugh2:

red states rule
10-02-2008, 05:25 PM
well...I am off to choir practice and then back home to watch Sarah suck on her toes. I'll check back in here to see how the conservative sycophants are fawning over her "performance".:laugh2:

http://gmroper.mu.nu/images/LiberalsMotivator.jpg

Gaffer
10-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Immie

Ever stop to think that maybe this isn't her first time stepping out of line. That maybe she has a history.

Immanuel
10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Ever stop to think that maybe this isn't her first time stepping out of line. That maybe she has a history.

I did, but I think that if she had the press release would have mentioned it.

Immie

red states rule
10-03-2008, 06:32 AM
I did, but I think that if she had the press release would have mentioned it.

Immie

Does not matter. She wanted to show her bias, now she can show it all she wants without any problems

Abbey Marie
10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Does not matter. She wanted to show her bias, now she can show it all she wants without any problems

And now she can join all the other Dems who blame GWB for being unemployed.

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2008, 10:55 AM
she should have been fired, she crossed the line and violated the ethics so bad, that she cant be trusted to be objection for the hussein religion :lol:

red states rule
10-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Abbey, she does have a job waithing if Obama wins in Nov

She will be Secretary of Information and Truth Verification, and will enforce the Fairness Doctrine

actsnoblemartin
10-03-2008, 11:02 AM
except on television

I welcome the fairness doctrine, it will force a conservative movie for every liberal slime movie, and a conservative show for every liberal slime show on the media

michael savage (paraphrased)

Abbey, she does have a job waithing if Obama wins in Nov

She will be Secretary of Information and Truth Verification, and will enforce the Fairness Doctrine

Immanuel
10-03-2008, 11:03 AM

Sounds to me like she should be blaming Senator Obama rather than President Bush. :) I mean, if he hadn't had those T-shirts printed she'd still have a job. But I still think the station was wrong in firing her. :coffee:

Immie

red states rule
10-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Sounds to me like she should be blaming Senator Obama rather than President Bush. :) I mean, if he hadn't had those T-shirts printed she'd still have a job. But I still think the station was wrong in firing her. :coffee:

Immie

If she would have worn the shirt on her own time - she would still have her job

She should blame HERSELF and poor judgement