PDA

View Full Version : First encounter at the house: Latrodectus geometricus

darin
10-03-2008, 12:45 PM
The spider Latrodectus geometricus, commonly known as the brown widow, grey widow, brown button spider, or geometric button spider, is one of the widow spiders in the genus Latrodectus. As such, it is a "cousin" to the more famous black widow spider. The brown widow is found in parts of the northeastern and southern United States (including Florida, Alabama, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas); as well as in parts of Australia, South Africa and Cyprus. The origin of this species is uncertain, as specimens were independently discovered in both Africa and in the Americas. They are usually found around buildings in tropical areas.

... Dr. G.B. Edwards, a University of Florida arachnologist claims that brown widow venom is twice as potent as the black widow venom, but is usually confined to the bite area and surrounding tissue, as opposed to the Black Widow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_geometricus

Monday evening, whilst giving a tour of the grounds to my landlord (who is a friend), i noticed peculiar spore-shaped egg sacks hanging from webbing in one corner of my patio area. I'd remember reading about a Brown Widow's eggsacks and started getting nervous.

Last night I sprayed down the area and came back an hour later to see the spider hanging, dead, by a web strand. I flipped it over using sticks and leaves to ensure it was what I thought it was.

Yup!

God bless the south, eh?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1402&stc=1&d=1223055930

Abbey Marie
10-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Uggh.

Mr. P
10-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY! :laugh2:

You'll get used to the bugs. Seen any scorpions or tics yet?

Hey...I'd love to seen some pics of the stage fields in operation. Memories, ya know? There was one on the road to Ozark, I think it was called Hatch..easy viewing from the road...well it used to be anyway.

If you have any interest in the Air Traffic Control system you should try to get a visit to Cairns Approach Control at Cairns. One of the best Approach Control facilities in the Country.

darin
10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey P - I'll try and work out times to head out and tape for ya. I've got an older class video (can send as mpg to ya) showing IERW stuff, if you're interested.

Hanchy?

You know Molenelli Range? I worked with the name-sake's son, back at Fort Lewis.

:)

Mr. P
10-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey P - I'll try and work out times to head out and tape for ya. I've got an older class video (can send as mpg to ya) showing IERW stuff, if you're interested.

Hanchy?

You know Molenelli Range? I worked with the name-sake's son, back at Fort Lewis.

:)

Just some pic would be fine D.

Hanchy would be a good place, that's a major heliport, or was..Hatch was a stage-field that is used for practice/training. Hatch used to be on the road to Ozark, closer to the action than Hanchy may be, but that was 22 years ago when I worked down there, I'm sure things have changed, even in LA. :laugh2:

I remember at launch time Hanchy looked just like the scene in the Wizard of Oz with all the monkeys flying off the castle. :laugh2:

Molenelli Range doesn't ring any bell but I never went to any range while in flight school or while working at Rucker.