PDA

View Full Version : More American cultural imperialism!!!

diuretic
10-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Hah, made ya look! :laugh2:

Now you're here have a look at this. I just heard it on Deutsche Welle Radio (it's piped in via a domestic Australian news radio channel).

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3685767,00.html

Last weekend, near an old and majestic château north of Paris, some two thousand people in cowboy hats danced one of the biggest line dances ever.

Though not renowned for their love of American culture, the French are getting into Country and Western music in a big way. In fact, dancing to ‘La Country’ has become so popular that the country’s bureaucrats are stepping in to bring it under government control. This report from John Laurenson begins at a Country Music Night near Montauban, south-west France.

It's actually very interesting, there's an mp3 I think you can download but it also explains the popularity of line dancing (la danse ligne) as the bloke doing the story put it, "you can even hear an oo lah lah among the yeee-haaas" :laugh2:

I had to chuckle when the bureaucrat came on and in a very serious manner said that the public had to be protected from dodgy line dance instructors because they could hurt themselves. My thoughts immediately went to my fellow posters here, I can see you now, falling about laughing (watch your back though, wouldn't want to pull a muscle) that the gummint had to regulate les professeurs de la danse ligne.

Okay, go for it (if you wish of course) :coffee:

dan
10-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Just when I thought country couldn't get any worse! Let's add some snail eaters and B.O. to the mix!:laugh2::laugh2:

Trigg
10-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Well I hope they have their "shit kickers" on, it's not authentic otherwise :laugh2::laugh2: (that's cowboy boots for you Aussies).

I've always hated line dancing

namvet
10-04-2008, 07:15 PM
that's Johnny Cash in the link.

diuretic
10-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Well I hope they have their "shit kickers" on, it's not authentic otherwise :laugh2::laugh2: (that's cowboy boots for you Aussies).

I've always hated line dancing

Apparently the boots are de rigeur Trigg :cheers2:

diuretic
10-04-2008, 11:19 PM
that's Johnny Cash in the link.

The Man in Black indeed.

Gaffer
10-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Real cowboys don't line dance.

diuretic
10-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Real cowboys don't line dance.

I blame John Travolta.

Psychoblues
10-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Do you know what is 80 feet long and smells like urine?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,A line dance at a Republican Convention.

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

namvet
10-08-2008, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=Psychoblues;306644]Do you know what is 80 feet long and smells like urine?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,A line dance at a Republican Convention.

QUOTE]

why did a D-NY senator ask why would anyone want to live in Mississippi ??? ............white bed sheets still support its economy !!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute: