PDA

View Full Version : Shocker! NYT Pans "An American Carol"

red states rule
10-04-2008, 08:21 PM
You knew this would happen folks. The liberal media hates the film that makes fun of the liberal snobs in Hollywood

An American Carol
October 4, 2008
Comic Right-Wing Broadside (Very Broad)
By NATHAN LEE
Published: October 4, 2008
“An American Carol” wasn’t screened in advance for critics, but why would it be? After all, what good is the traitorous opinion of the cheese-eating news-media elite when it comes to a satire of the radical left?

Kevin Farley stars here as Michael Malone, a Michael Moore-like documentary filmmaker whose most recent diatribe, “Die, You American Pigs!,” is a box office failure despite his following among campus protesters, Hollywood sissies and other snooty factions of the blame-America-first set. Malone tries to right his reputation by preparing a fiction feature (“Fascist America”) while simultaneously planning a rally to ban the Fourth of July.

Directed by David Zucker (“Airplane!”) with his trademark indifference to pace and plot, “An American Carol” uses the template of “A Christmas Carol” to string together its gags (far too many of which involve Malone’s stuffing his mouth or getting whacked in the face).

Thus Scrooge Malone is visited by ghosts of patriotism past (General Patton, Presidents Kennedy and Washington) and is shown what could happen without leaders willing to man up for freedom: billboards for “Victoria’s Burka” in Times Square!

Cheap shots and mean spirits abound, as do celebrity cameos (James Woods, Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, Kelsey Grammer). But it’s the laziness of the writing that most offends.

“An American Carol” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). It includes swearing and satirical bigotry.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/10/04/movies/04caro.html?ref=movies&em

stephanie
10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Cheap shots and mean spirits...

when did that ever offend a liberal...

so predictable...:laugh2:

red states rule
10-04-2008, 08:45 PM

I am going to see this film. It look like a classic comedy that some up libs perfectly

For those of you who want to see the preview - check it out

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWhbjDrQJJE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWhbjDrQJJE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Abbey Marie
10-04-2008, 11:06 PM
We were going to see it last night, but our local 16-theater movie place wasn't showing it!

red states rule
10-05-2008, 07:45 AM
We were going to see it last night, but our local 16-theater movie place wasn't showing it!

Hope you get to see it Abbey. Here is a little more about the film

snip

The plot: It's the Fourth of July, and a goofy grandfather, Leslie Nielsen, is telling his grandchildren a fairy tale about the grinch who stole Independence Day. Only it's not a grinch. It's Michael Moore, er . . . "Michael Malone." And it's a true story, not a fairy tale.

Moore/Malone wants to eliminate the Fourth of July and has enlisted a number of liberal groups to do it with him. Meanwhile, Islamic terrorists want to recruit Moore to do a terrorist movie for them, to make it easier to recruit jihadists. Moore's nephew is in the military and wants Uncle Mike to understand why what he's doing is harming America. It takes three ghosts of characters past--John F. Kennedy, General George S. Patton, and George Washington--to teach Michael Moore, er . . . "Malone" a lesson. Yes, it's a take-off of Scrooge or "It's a Wonderful Life."

There are so many funny, oh-yeah, yes-yes-yes! moments in this movie, I laughed out loud a lot and so did the other people in the theater.

Surprisingly, a lot of B-list celebs made cameos in the movie, in addition to the starring role played by Kelsey Grammer (Gen. Patton). The list includes Paris Hilton, Kevin Sorbo, Gary Coleman, David Alan Grier, Jon Voight, James Woods, and Dennis Hopper (thought he was a big lib, but I guess I'm wrong).

The movie does a great job of skewering everything from ACLU lawyers to Rosie O'Donnell (the actress playing her is a dead-ringer and spot on) to MoveOn.org to Hollywood . . . and, of course, Michael Moore and his "Sicko" documentary. The best two parts are when Rosie O'Donnell shows a documentary about radical Christian terrorists on the "O'Reilly Factor" (yes, that's a downer in the movie--the repeated presence of blowhard and pseudo-conservative Loofah/Falafel champ O'Reilly); and when we are shown the famed HOLLYWOOD sign in the Hills changed to an "ALLAHU AKBAR" sign and signs for "Victoria's Burka" lingerie stores.

The ending was kinda sappy and not believable. I would have preferred the "Team America: World Police" ending for Michael Moore. But this'll do. The only other negative is the repeated jokes about how he's only a documentarian, not a feature film maker. But documentaries have their place, when they're done accurately and correctly and illuminate an important issue or subject. That's the point--what Moore

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2008/10/weekend_box_off_116.html

Psychoblues
10-05-2008, 10:36 PM
It's a parody, dumbo's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the "Flintstones" some of you ignorant jerks interpret it as a documentary!!!!!!!!! You are such embeciles and shames on our American senses of humor and extrapolated educational opportunities!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

red states rule
10-06-2008, 08:23 AM

Like the "Flintstones" some of you ignorant jerks interpret it as a documentary!!!!!!!!! You are such embeciles and shames on our American senses of humor and extrapolated educational opportunities!!!!!!!!!!

It tells the truth about liberals PB. I find it refreshing

dan
10-06-2008, 09:38 AM
It also tells the truth about fat people falling down and getting hit in the head a lot. Much like the director's expose on the corruption facing big-city detectives, AKA The Naked Gun.

red states rule
10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
It also tells the truth about fat people falling down and getting hit in the head a lot. Much like the director's expose on the corruption facing big-city detectives, AKA The Naked Gun.

I noticed how the liberal media hated "An American Carol" for being right wing humor - while they loved Bill Mayer's hit piece on Religion

actsnoblemartin
10-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Fuck the new york times

You knew this would happen folks. The liberal media hates the film that makes fun of the liberal snobs in Hollywood

An American Carol
October 4, 2008
Comic Right-Wing Broadside (Very Broad)
By NATHAN LEE
Published: October 4, 2008
“An American Carol” wasn’t screened in advance for critics, but why would it be? After all, what good is the traitorous opinion of the cheese-eating news-media elite when it comes to a satire of the radical left?

Kevin Farley stars here as Michael Malone, a Michael Moore-like documentary filmmaker whose most recent diatribe, “Die, You American Pigs!,” is a box office failure despite his following among campus protesters, Hollywood sissies and other snooty factions of the blame-America-first set. Malone tries to right his reputation by preparing a fiction feature (“Fascist America”) while simultaneously planning a rally to ban the Fourth of July.

Directed by David Zucker (“Airplane!”) with his trademark indifference to pace and plot, “An American Carol” uses the template of “A Christmas Carol” to string together its gags (far too many of which involve Malone’s stuffing his mouth or getting whacked in the face).

Thus Scrooge Malone is visited by ghosts of patriotism past (General Patton, Presidents Kennedy and Washington) and is shown what could happen without leaders willing to man up for freedom: billboards for “Victoria’s Burka” in Times Square!

Cheap shots and mean spirits abound, as do celebrity cameos (James Woods, Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, Kelsey Grammer). But it’s the laziness of the writing that most offends.

“An American Carol” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). It includes swearing and satirical bigotry.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/10/04/movies/04caro.html?ref=movies&em

red states rule
10-06-2008, 10:09 AM
An American Carol finished #7 at the box office for the weekend

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

actsnoblemartin
10-06-2008, 10:16 AM
is that good?

An American Carol finished #7 at the box office for the weekend

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

red states rule
10-06-2008, 10:21 AM
is that good?

It is not bad Martin

Little-Acorn
10-06-2008, 11:38 AM

I haven't seen "An American Carol" yet, I've only seen the ads they've been running to promote it.

I've been worried that the film will contain pretty much what was in the ads, which was nothing but Michael Moore getting hit in the face with vegetables, an anvil, etc., and getting slapped around.

I really hope there's more to it than that: that they get into the issues Moore has mischaracterized and tell the truth about them instead, there are lots of humorous and clever ways to do that.

The ads I've seen aren't encouraging. They look like a cheap Hollywood farce along the lines of "Hot Shots 2", not worth watching. I hope the movie itself shows some actual substance.

red states rule
10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I haven't seen "An American Carol" yet, I've only seen the ads they've been running to promote it.

I've been worried that the film will contain pretty much what was in the ads, which was nothing but Michael Moore getting hit in the face with vegetables, an anvil, etc., and getting slapped around.

I really hope there's more to it than that: that they get into the issues Moore has mischaracterized and tell the truth about them instead, there are lots of humorous and clever ways to do that.

The ads I've seen aren't encouraging. They look like a cheap Hollywood farce along the lines of "Hot Shots 2", not worth watching. I hope the movie itself shows some actual substance.

There is much more then that. See post # 5 for more on the film. It looks good

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YYsCJMmCTtk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YYsCJMmCTtk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Little-Acorn
10-06-2008, 11:44 AM

One of the problems with Hollywood "parodies", is that parodies only work on subjects that contained at least a modicum of seriousness or substance. But when Hollywood parodys itself, it is usually making fun of things that were silly and badly done to start with. So that parody drops into the depths of ridiculousness and, as I said, isn't worth watching. Any humor that might have existed, is diluted down to nothing.

You can't parody a parody. Especially when you didn't know the thing you were making fun of, was already silly to the point of irrelevance.

dan
10-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I noticed how the liberal media hated "An American Carol" for being right wing humor - while they loved Bill Mayer's hit piece on Religion

For what it's worth, I think Religulous looks like crap, too, plus it stars the biggest smug asshole on the planet, so between the two, I'd rather watch An American Carol.

dan
10-06-2008, 12:25 PM
You can't parody a parody. Especially when you didn't know the thing you were making fun of, was already silly to the point of irrelevance.

Agreed, you can't make a silly movie like this about a political ideology, unless you're wanting to give the opposing side more ammo to use against you. Or unless you're trying to cash in on a built-in niche.

Hagbard Celine
10-06-2008, 01:26 PM
...As does the overwhelming majority of other Americans. In a related story, Bill Maher's "Religulous," also in its opening week, earns nearly as much as bomber "American Carol" while opening on less than a third of the number of screens.

http://oxdown.firedoglake.com/diary/465

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Little-Acorn
10-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Agreed, you can't make a silly movie like this about a political ideology

What are you agreeing with? I didn't say that, not even close. Please read my post again, or identify whose comments you're agreeing with.

red states rule
10-07-2008, 06:48 AM
This would not surprise me in the least

Theaters Defrauding Ticket Sales From 'An American Carol' Film?
By Warner Todd Huston (Bio | Archive)
October 7, 2008 - 00:36 ET

An American Carol debuted this past weekend and there have been some disturbing reports that ticket sales for the film have been fraudulently credited to other films in cineaplexes all across the country. The rumors are so persistent that the American Carol folks have added a section to their website for movie-goers to report the fraud. The filmmakers are reporting that at least 10 theaters are being investigated for this fraudulent practice.

So, if you have attended this film and happen to still have you ticket stubs, take a look at them to see if you were credited with having paid to attend the right movie.

There has also been a few reports by Eric Odom that some venues have incorrectly identified the rating for the film as sporting an "R" rating instead of the proper "PG-13" that the film rating board actually gave it.

We'll have to keep an eye on this situation, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that certain people are trying to doom this film.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/10/07/theaters-defrauding-ticket-sales-american-carol-film

and

http://ericodom.name/2008/10/06/theater-fraud-against-an-american-carol/

and

http://americancarol.com/fraud/

dan
10-07-2008, 07:03 AM
:tinfoil:

dan
10-07-2008, 07:05 AM
What are you agreeing with? I didn't say that, not even close. Please read my post again, or identify whose comments you're agreeing with.

I was agreeing with your general notion that the latest batch of Hollywood parodies have been crap, and adding that I think if the filmmakers wanted people to take the conservative slant in their movie seriously, they shouldn't house it in a "fat guy fall down go boom" shell.

red states rule
10-07-2008, 07:11 AM
I was agreeing with your general notion that the latest batch of Hollywood parodies have been crap, and adding that I think if the filmmakers wanted people to take the conservative slant in their movie seriously, they shouldn't house it in a "fat guy fall down go boom" shell.

In order for anything to be funny there must be an element of truth in the joke.

An American Carol nails Michael Moore and the liberal view of America to the wall

Abbey Marie
10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Fraud or not, I heard last night that American Carol beat Bil Maher's film this weekend. :thumb:

red states rule
10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Fraud or not, I heard last night that American Carol beat Bil Maher's film this weekend. :thumb:

Is that really a surprise? Who would want to go see a film that mocks those who believe in God, and have a faith?

Only liberals who like Maher who looks at most of America with distain.

I am sure MFM went to see it, he has alot of time on his hands these days :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
10-07-2008, 09:55 AM

that it did :clap:

dan
10-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Is that really a surprise? Who would want to go see a film that mocks those who believe in God, and have a faith?

Only liberals who like Maher who looks at most of America with distain.

I am sure MFM went to see it, he has alot of time on his hands these days :laugh2:

Religulous: "Look at these religious people! Aren't they dumb!" [smiles smugly]

An American Carol: "Look at these liberals! Aren't they dumb!" [falls into a pile of feces, "Who Let the Dogs Out" starts playing on soundtrack]

red states rule
10-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Religulous: "Look at these religious people! Aren't they dumb!" [smiles smugly]

An American Carol: "Look at these liberals! Aren't they dumb!" [falls into a pile of feces, "Who Let the Dogs Out" starts playing on soundtrack]

An American Carol does, IMO, accuratly portrays the modern day liberal. Mayer has always looked down on America, and his arrogance is nothing new

actsnoblemartin
10-07-2008, 10:45 AM
arrogance?, if he gets any smuger his face will face off

An American Carol does, IMO, accuratly portrays the modern day liberal. Mayer has always looked down on America, and his arrogance is nothing new

Psychoblues
10-08-2008, 12:29 AM
As usual, some of the more idiotic amongst you took the piece much more seriously than it was intended.

It's comedy, parody, satire, pun, etc. all toether in an entertaining film. But, you all insist it was a documentary just like I said in a previous post in this thread. It's OK to be stupid but do you have to let it shine like you do?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

JimmyAteWorld
10-11-2008, 07:04 PM

Everybody knows it's a parody, nobody thinks it's a documentary, and you're still an idiot.

JimmyAteWorld
10-11-2008, 07:15 PM
So anyway...

I stole a couple of hours last Monday and saw this movie. If you're looking for fall in floor, knee slapping funny you're going to be disappointed, but it's still humorous and entertaining. There isn't as much of the outright zany humor we've come to expect from David Zucker, but there are a few bits here and there.

As far as the politics involved, Conservatives will like it, Liberals won't. Nothing too shocking there. After years of crap like "Fast Food Nation" and whatever that last anti-Iraq war movie was that bombed, it was nice to see something on screen from this side of the aisle. No, it's not a documentary. It just does it's part to point out a few things that once were nothing more than common sense, and it does it with a smile.

NightTrain
10-12-2008, 08:09 AM
I took my wife & kids in to Anchorage yesterday to see this one, since that was the only theatre in this region showing it.

I agree with JimmyAteWorld above - whether you laugh at some of the gags depends on what your political views are - or in the case of my wife, if you don't give a damn about politics at all and are not aware of some of the ludicrous notions that have been espoused by Libs.

Some scenes that I thought were very funny, my wife just had a confused look on her face about - such as the scene with the college kids mindlessly chanting and I saw a few with Tinfoil Hats on in the crowd waving signs. Spillmind and Pyschobabble flashed into my mind on that scene, which made it all the funnier. The old schoolers here from the other board will remember Spillmind, he was quite a character.

Rosie O'Donnell's film clips showing Nuns blowing up buses and Priests hijacking airplanes to prove her point that Christians are as dangerous as Muslims also was very amusing, and again I could see my wife missing the joke.

She did laugh along with the rest of the audience when the terrorist looked at a hot blonde walking by and saying to his buddy, "Oh man, I bet she'd be HOT in a burka!"

I'm going to buy this movie when it comes out on DVD, as I'm sure I missed quite a few jokes in the background - I almost missed the "Victoria's Burka" billboard due to a popcorn incident with the kids.

Psychoblues
10-14-2008, 02:57 AM
You ain't much in my book either, nightshit. But thanks for the synopsis as you see it. You said a lot in that ridiculous post.