PDA

View Full Version : Obama Disavows Ayers, Where?

Kathianne
10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
This seems important. Where is it Obama disavows? The article doesn't say and with google? Well nothing. Yet is this to pass for true? In response to accusations this is the story given by AP. I've searched .com, .org. , and .gov cannot find anything to back this up. Perhaps someone subscribes to nexus/lexus?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081005/ap_on_el_pr/palin_recharged

Palin defends terrorist comment against Obama

By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer2 hours, 1 minute ago

Sarah Palin defended her claim that Barack Obama "pals around with terrorists," saying the Democratic presidential nominee's association with a 1960s radical is an issue that is "fair to talk about."

Obama has denounced the radical views and actions of Bill Ayers, a founder of the violent Weather Underground group during the Vietnam era. On Sunday, Obama dismissed the criticism from the McCain campaign, leveled by Palin, as "smears" meant to distract voters from real problems such as the troubled economy.

Palin, the Republican vice presidential candidate, launched the attack Saturday and repeated it Sunday, signaling a new strategy by John McCain's presidential campaign to go after Obama's character.

"The comments are about an association that has been known but hasn't been talked about," Palin said as she boarded her plane in Long Beach, Calif. "I think it's fair to talk about where Barack Obama kicked off his political career, in the guy's living room."

Later, at a fundraiser, Palin elaborated on her attack, claiming one of Obama's advisers had described Obama and Ayers as "friendly."

"In fact, Obama held one of his first meetings hoping to kick off his political career in Bill Ayers' living room," she told the crowd, which had just raised $2.5 million for the Republican party's McCain-Palin Victory 2008 fund.

At issue is Obama's association with Ayers. Both have served on the same Chicago charity and live near each other in Chicago. Ayers also held a meet-the-candidate event at his home for Obama when Obama first ran for office in the mid-1990s, the event cited by Palin.

In February, Obama strategist David Axelrod told the Politico Web site: "Bill Ayers lives in his neighborhood. Their kids attend the same school. They're certainly friendly, they know each other, as anyone whose kids go to school together."

But while Ayers and Obama are acquainted, the charge that they "pal around" is a stretch of any reading of the public record. And it's simply wrong to suggest that they were associated while Ayers was committing terrorist acts. Obama was 8 years old at the time the Weather Underground claimed credit for numerous bombings and was blamed for a pipe bomb that killed a San Francisco policeman....

Gaffer
10-05-2008, 07:52 PM
He can't disavow him. The guy is going to be a key person in the obamanation administration. Cabinet level.

If you think clinton had some shady people just wait till you see what obamanation brings to washington.

obamanation will bring recession, depression, and repression.

red states rule
10-05-2008, 07:54 PM
This is a pattern with Obama. It seems many of those in his inner circle, and those who helped him get his political career started - all hate America

Here is one of Ayers's more memorable quotes

snip

The Way We Live Now: 9-16-01: Questions for Bill Ayers; Forever Rad

Q: You're calling from a pay phone? You still pick up a receiver and think, ''My phone might be tapped''?

I think anybody in America who doesn't think that is off his rocker. Is there such a thing as a Big Brother? Absolutely. I mean, our worst paranoid fantasies about what the government was capable of in the mid-60's turned out to be mild by comparison to what it did.

But you're living a normal life now, with a job and a family and a book to sell, while at least one former comrade, like Kathy Boudin, who was just denied parole, is still in prison. Does that mean you've come to place a certain trust in society?

I don't trust it. You can't live in a society like this in equilibrium and not sell your soul. This society is not a just and fair and decent place.

So you're living troubled?

Oh, I'm troubled, troubled. We're living in a country where the election was stolen, and we didn't have a mass uprising. It's incredible. We're all asleep. The pundits all pat themselves on the back: ''God, what a great country. You know, we could have had a constitutional crisis, but instead, we let him steal the election. Isn't that great. What a country.'' It makes me want to puke.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990DEED61238F935A2575AC0A9679C8B 63

midcan5
10-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Has it ever occurred to any of you bird brains that Obama was eight when Ayers did whatever he did with the weather underground? Could he have changed in all those years? I realize that would be a stretch to your biased imagination but give it a shot. This is all Palin can do, she is too dumb to discuss anything of substance. Kinda sad your guys have sunk so low.

"Stanley Kurtz and the Anti-Obama Smear Machine" by John K. Wilson

"National Review writer Stanley Kurtz put himself into the headlines earlier this month by pushing the guilt-by-association link between Bill Ayers and Barack Obama because they both worked on the Chicago Annenberg Challenge to improve public schools. When Kurtz went to look at the Annenberg files at the University of Illinois at Chicago, librarians temporarily blocked access out of concerns about whether they had the proper permission to open them to the public. UIC quickly changed their dumb decision, and this week Kurtz went to read the Annenberg papers.

Previously, Kurtz had speculated that "access to the CAC records promises to provide a treasure trove of documentary evidence."

And what did he find? Absolutely nothing.

Kurtz's grand conclusion: Ayers and Obama went to the same meetings! And this brilliant attack by Kurtz: Obama is "comfortable working with people" on the left. Well, that's no surprise, since he's also comfortable working with people on the far right.

Unlike Limbaugh, I listened to Kurtz on Rosenberg's show. More than half the show was devoted to Kurtz's laughable attacks on Obama (in one case, Kurtz started reading from an innocuous book on global justice that he admitted Obama probably never read, but which he linked to Obama because Obama knows the man who runs the foundation that produced the book)."

page down
http://www.obamapolitics.com/

red states rule
10-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Obama turned to a domestic terrorist to launch his political career, called him a friend, took his money and support. Ayers is not sorry for bombing Federal building and has said he wishes he could have done more

For some reason you people on the left do not seem to care. That does not surprise me. Most libs, like you and MFM, only care about your party and nothing else

Kathianne
10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Has it ever occurred to any of you bird brains that Obama was eight when Ayers did whatever he did with the weather underground? Could he have changed in all those years? I realize that would be a stretch to your biased imagination but give it a shot. This is all Palin can do, she is too dumb to discuss anything of substance. Kinda sad your guys have sunk so low.

"National Review writer Stanley Kurtz put himself into the headlines earlier this month by pushing the guilt-by-association link between Bill Ayers and Barack Obama because they both worked on the Chicago Annenberg Challenge to improve public schools. When Kurtz went to look at the Annenberg files at the University of Illinois at Chicago, librarians temporarily blocked access out of concerns about whether they had the proper permission to open them to the public. UIC quickly changed their dumb decision, and this week Kurtz went to read the Annenberg papers.

Previously, Kurtz had speculated that "access to the CAC records promises to provide a treasure trove of documentary evidence."

Kurtz's grand conclusion: Ayers and Obama went to the same meetings! And this brilliant attack by Kurtz: Obama is "comfortable working with people" on the left. Well, that's no surprise, since he's also comfortable working with people on the far right.

Unlike Limbaugh, I listened to Kurtz on Rosenberg's show. More than half the show was devoted to Kurtz's laughable attacks on Obama (in one case, Kurtz started reading from an innocuous book on global justice that he admitted Obama probably never read, but which he linked to Obama because Obama knows the man who runs the foundation that produced the book)."

page down

Incorrect, he found lots of points of connection between Obama and Ayers up to 2002. Of those, much deeper than 'our kids went to same schools', and we "live in same neighborhood." It goes beyond Ayers hosting Obama's run for IL senate, though only a tip off of what would come.

Between Annenberg, Woods Foundation, and Acorn, Obama has quite a record. Not including what has happened on the national scene with Johnson and Raines.

Interestingly enough, no mention of Rezko or Blogo, though they certainly figure in.

stephanie
10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Has it ever occurred to any of you bird brains that Obama was eight when Ayers did whatever he did with the weather underground? Could he have changed in all those years? I realize that would be a stretch to your biased imagination but give it a shot. This is all Plain can do, she is too dumb to discuss anything of substance. Kinda sad your guys have sunk so low.

page down

hehe...the old Obambam was eight yrs. old when his old buddy blew up a building and killed some people..

Ayers held a political fund raiser for the Obambam when he first ran for the Illinois Senate, then the Obama served on a board with him for what, 4yrs.

all this IS coming out..too bad you all couldn't strong arm everyone to shut up...

Kathianne
10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
hehe...the old Obambam was eight yrs. old when his old buddy blew up a building and killed some people..

Ayers held a political fund raiser for the Obambam when he first ran for the Illinois Senate, then the Obama served on a board with him for what, 4yrs.

all this IS coming out..too bad you all couldn't strong arm everyone to shut up...

Others too were 8 years old when Ayers chose his actions:

http://www.city-journal.org/2008/eon0430jm.html

John M. Murtagh
Fire in the Night
The Weathermen tried to kill my family.
30 April 2008

During the April 16 debate between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, moderator George Stephanopoulos brought up “a gentleman named William Ayers,” who “was part of the Weather Underground in the 1970s. They bombed the Pentagon, the Capitol, and other buildings. He’s never apologized for that.” Stephanopoulos then asked Obama to explain his relationship with Ayers. Obama’s answer: “The notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was eight years old, somehow reflects on me and my values, doesn’t make much sense, George.” Obama was indeed only eight in early 1970. I was only nine then, the year Ayers’s Weathermen tried to murder me.

In February 1970, my father, a New York State Supreme Court justice, was presiding over the trial of the so-called “Panther 21,” members of the Black Panther Party indicted in a plot to bomb New York landmarks and department stores. Early on the morning of February 21, as my family slept, three gasoline-filled firebombs exploded at our home on the northern tip of Manhattan, two at the front door and the third tucked neatly under the gas tank of the family car. (Today, of course, we’d call that a car bomb.) A neighbor heard the first two blasts and, with the remains of a snowman I had built a few days earlier, managed to douse the flames beneath the car. That was an act whose courage I fully appreciated only as an adult, an act that doubtless saved multiple lives that night.

I still recall, as though it were a dream, thinking that someone was lifting and dropping my bed as the explosions jolted me awake, and I remember my mother’s pulling me from the tangle of sheets and running to the kitchen where my father stood. Through the large windows overlooking the yard, all we could see was the bright glow of flames below. We didn’t leave our burning house for fear of who might be waiting outside. The same night, bombs were thrown at a police car in Manhattan and two military recruiting stations in Brooklyn. Sunlight, the next morning, revealed three sentences of blood-red graffiti on our sidewalk: FREE THE PANTHER 21; THE VIET CONG HAVE WON; KILL THE PIGS.

For the next 18 months, I went to school in an unmarked police car. My mother, a schoolteacher, had plainclothes detectives waiting in the faculty lounge all day. My brother saved a few bucks because he didn’t have to rent a limo for the senior prom: the NYPD did the driving. We all made the best of the odd new life that had been thrust upon us, but for years, the sound of a fire truck’s siren made my stomach knot and my heart race. In many ways, the enormity of the attempt to kill my entire family didn’t fully hit me until years later, when, a father myself, I was tucking my own nine-year-old John Murtagh into bed.

Though no one was ever caught or tried for the attempt on my family’s life, there was never any doubt who was behind it. Only a few weeks after the attack, the New York contingent of the Weathermen blew themselves up making more bombs in a Greenwich Village townhouse. The same cell had bombed my house, writes Ron Jacobs in The Way the Wind Blew: A History of the Weather Underground. And in late November that year, a letter to the Associated Press signed by Bernardine Dohrn, Ayers’s wife, promised more bombings.

As the association between Obama and Ayers came to light, it would have helped the senator a little if his friend had at least shown some remorse. But listen to Ayers interviewed in the New York Times on September 11, 2001, of all days: “I don’t regret setting bombs. I feel we didn’t do enough.” Translation: “We meant to kill that judge and his family, not just damage the porch.” When asked by the Times if he would do it all again, Ayers responded: “I don’t want to discount the possibility.”

Though never a supporter of Obama, I admired him for a time for his ability to engage our imaginations, and especially for his ability to inspire the young once again to embrace the political system. Yet his myopia in the last few months has cast a new light on his “politics of change.” Nobody should hold the junior senator from Illinois responsible for his friends’ and supporters’ violent terrorist acts. But it is fair to hold him responsible for a startling lack of judgment in his choice of mentors, associates, and friends, and for showing a callous disregard for the lives they damaged and the hatred they have demonstrated for this country. It is fair, too, to ask what those choices say about Obama’s own beliefs, his philosophy, and the direction he would take our nation.

At the conclusion of his 2001 Times interview, Ayers said of his upbringing and subsequent radicalization: “I was a child of privilege and I woke up to a world on fire.”

Funny thing, Bill: one night, so did I.

John M. Murtagh is a practicing attorney, an adjunct professor of public policy at the Fordham University College of Liberal Studies, and a member of the city council in Yonkers, New York, where he resides with his wife and two sons.

theHawk
10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
According to the Obama website "Ayers is now mainstream".

I guess everyday middle Americans make friends with former terrorists.

http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck/2008/04/17/fact_check_on_clinton_attacks.php

PostmodernProphet
10-06-2008, 03:48 AM
Could he have changed in all those years?

could he have changed?....yes.....did he?.....no....as recently as 2001 he stated to a NYT interviewer that he had no regrets about bombing the Capital, the Pentagon and killing two police officers in New York and he regretted not doing more......

bullypulpit
10-06-2008, 06:56 AM
This seems important. Where is it Obama disavows? The article doesn't say and with google? Well nothing. Yet is this to pass for true? In response to accusations this is the story given by AP. I've searched .com, .org. , and .gov cannot find anything to back this up. Perhaps someone subscribes to nexus/lexus?

That the McCain/Palin campaign is once again trying to resurrect this dead horse so they can beat it to death again is a proof positive of their moral and intellectual bankruptcy as well as the weakness of their hand.

Did Obama have ANY association with Bill Ayers during his time with the Weather Underground? Of course not. Obama was 8 at the time. Has Obama ever endorsed, by word or deed, the actions taken by the Weather Underground? No.

Now, let's look at Caribou Barbie's seditious associations.

Earlier this year, Governor Palin welcomed the <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4iCDBIAde8>Alaskan Independence Party's convention</a> in Fairbanks. Her husband, Todd, was a registered member of said party from 1995 until 2002. Hmmm...

Immanuel
10-06-2008, 07:13 AM

Can you provide even the slightest hint of proof that William Ayers has changed his mind? Maybe, the best you can say is that the man has grown mild in his old age as most everyone seems to do, but that is not change.

Has William Ayers recanted? Has he felt remorse for the bombings he committed and got away with?

Immie

red states rule
10-06-2008, 08:14 AM
That the McCain/Palin campaign is once again trying to resurrect this dead horse so they can beat it to death again is a proof positive of their moral and intellectual bankruptcy as well as the weakness of their hand.

Did Obama have ANY association with Bill Ayers during his time with the Weather Underground? Of course not. Obama was 8 at the time. Has Obama ever endorsed, by word or deed, the actions taken by the Weather Underground? No.

Now, let's look at Caribou Barbie's seditious associations.

Earlier this year, Governor Palin welcomed the <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4iCDBIAde8>Alaskan Independence Party's convention</a> in Fairbanks. Her husband, Todd, was a registered member of said party from 1995 until 2002. Hmmm...

BP, Obama was 8 years old when Ayres blew up Federal buildings. However, he was 38 years old when he sat in Ayers living room, asked for his support, and started his ftiendship with him

red states rule
10-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Can you provide even the slightest hint of proof that William Ayers has changed his mind? Maybe, the best you can say is that the man has grown mild in his old age as most everyone seems to do, but that is not change.

Has William Ayers recanted? Has he felt remorse for the bombings he committed and got away with?

Immie

Ayers was a would-be murderer of soldiers and policemen, but he wasn't a very good terrorist. He had the ill fortune to be the subject of a profile in the New York Times on September 11, 2001, in which he said that he didn't regret his attempted murders and only wished that he had planted more bombs.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/04/020358.php

actsnoblemartin
10-06-2008, 10:21 AM
hehehehe

This seems important. Where is it Obama disavows?

in his mind :coffee: :laugh2:

The article doesn't say and with google? Well nothing. Yet is this to pass for true? In response to accusations this is the story given by AP. I've searched .com, .org. , and .gov cannot find anything to back this up. Perhaps someone subscribes to nexus/lexus?