PDA

View Full Version : Trompe L'Oeil

Immanuel
10-06-2008, 08:02 AM
MFM asked me a question yesterday before he was banned. I was not online at the time and when I returned and saw the question, the thread was closed and he had been banned.

I can't send him a pm and I can't answer on that thread, so I would like to answer it here and now, and when/if he returns, I will bump it up.

The question was if the art form Trompe L'Oeil was a lie.

In answer to his question, yes, it is a lie. The art form attempts to deceive (lie to) the eye into believing that the painting is three dimensional when it is created on a two dimensional platform. It is in fact a lie! Harmless, yes, but a lie none the less. We lie to our children when we tell them that Santa Claus exists. That is a harmless lie. That doesn't change the fact that it is a lie.

Immie

PS I for one and maybe the only one, am looking forward to MFM's return.

Abbey Marie
10-06-2008, 12:26 PM
MFM asked me a question yesterday before he was banned. I was not online at the time and when I returned and saw the question, the thread was closed and he had been banned.

I can't send him a pm and I can't answer on that thread, so I would like to answer it here and now, and when/if he returns, I will bump it up.

The question was if the art form Trompe L'Oeil was a lie.

In answer to his question, yes, it is a lie. The art form attempts to deceive (lie to) the eye into believing that the painting is three dimensional when it is created on a two dimensional platform. It is in fact a lie! Harmless, yes, but a lie none the less. We lie to our children when we tell them that Santa Claus exists. That is a harmless lie. That doesn't change the fact that it is a lie.

Immie

PS I for one and maybe the only one, am looking forward to MFM's return.

It looks like you have little regard for the women of this board, Immie.

Immanuel
10-06-2008, 12:35 PM
It looks like you have little regard for the women of this board, Immie.

BS, Abbey, and please note, this was posted before I had any idea what the C U thread meant.

I have stated my feelings about that comment in another thread AFTER this post

Immie

Yurt
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
immie, the issue is dead...it does not matter about any other analogy or other situations in which deception plays a role.......the only thing that matters is his intentions in calling multiple times, knowing they believed him to be different callers with the sole purpose of influencing the politicians vote....and he flat out said the politicians are not lying when they mention how many different constituents called.

he will never admit it, so as jim essentially said, the facts and arguments are laid out and you decide whether he is telling the truth or not.

darin
10-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Precautionary Close - Immie - you'll have the URL for this thread if you wish to reference it IF MFM returns.

Abbey Marie
10-06-2008, 03:08 PM
BS, Abbey, and please note, this was posted before I had any idea what the C U thread meant.

I have stated my feelings about that comment in another thread AFTER this post

Immie

I'm sorry, Immie. I didn't realize that you posted this before mfm's classy name-calling was clarified. Please accept my apology.